Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 21 of 21
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dakota 35-2
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Dedicated Camera button help

    There were a few videos before the phone came out that showed people clicking on the camera button from standby(blank screen) and it would load the camera app so you could immediately start capturing photos, yet when I do that on my phone it does nothing? Was this removed prior to the phone launching? Or is there an option for it, or is my phone just not working properly?
  2. #2  
    ericj12's Avatar

    Posts
    187 Posts
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts

    Default Re: Dedicated Camera button help

    i dont know anything about that and i cant remember if i heard that or not. i just keep the camera app as one of my lockscreen apps so when wake up the phone, i can just load up the camera without having to completely unlock my phone.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: Dedicated Camera button help


    There is another video as well but kinda pointless to look for it since this one has what im asking about.
  4. #4  
    smallpsych's Avatar

    Posts
    29 Posts
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    ROM
    Synergy RC1

    Default Re: Dedicated Camera button help

    Are you doing a long press of the camera button? You have to press the button all the way down and hold it for two seconds. Works on my EVOLTE like a charm.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Dedicated Camera button help

    Quote Originally Posted by smallpsych View Post
    Are you doing a long press of the camera button? You have to press the button all the way down and hold it for two seconds. Works on my EVOLTE like a charm.
    Did you need to change any settings for this to work? Because a long press on mine does nothing. I thought I remembered this being a feature as well.
  6. #6  
    mawilson82's Avatar

    Posts
    48 Posts
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Wink Re: Dedicated Camera button help

    Phone in standby and holding down the Camera button does nothing.

    I like that it isn't opening the camera. Vote No for pictures of your pocket! :-)
    Thanked by 4:
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default Re: Dedicated Camera button help

    No one else has this issue?
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Dedicated Camera button help

    You cant get to the camera app unless the screen is unlocked. This was mentioned is a few reviews.
  9. #9  
    ericj12's Avatar

    Posts
    187 Posts
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts

    Default Re: Dedicated Camera button help

    Quote Originally Posted by LegacyEvoAce View Post
    No one else has this issue?
    maybe that was a feature of the early prototype they gave to people but took it out for the final version. i agree with the poster above, i wouldnt want it to turn on in my pocket. i'm fine with having the camera shortcut on the lockscreen.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

    Default Re: Dedicated Camera button help

    Quote Originally Posted by devgrp View Post
    You cant get to the camera app unless the screen is unlocked. This was mentioned is a few reviews.
    So they took it out then weeeaaaak would've liked for them to make that an option.
  11. #11  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LegacyEvoAce View Post
    So they took it out then weeeaaaak would've liked for them to make that an option.
    So it takes pictures of your pocket? No thanks...a swipe of the camera button into the unlock ring works for me

    -Sent from my US Customs Edition EVO 4G LTE-
    ericj12 likes this.
  12. #12  

    Default

    Another option is get a case and issue solved..

    sent from my Evo4LTE
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Dedicated Camera button help

    Quote Originally Posted by DeputyDipshizz View Post
    So it takes pictures of your pocket? No thanks...a swipe of the camera button into the unlock ring works for me

    -Sent from my US Customs Edition EVO 4G LTE-
    Much like every windows phone out right now, you have to hold down the button for about 2 seconds or so before it goes to camera.

    The camera button on the Evo is not nearly as flush as some of hte windows phone so maybe it was activating too easily.

    Who knows.
  14. #14  
    keld's Avatar

    Posts
    31 Posts
    ROM
    4.xx

    Default Re: Dedicated Camera button help

    Does anyone know if there's a way to make the camera focus when you half press the shutter button on the edge of the phone, it seems like there's a small "gap" when you press it half way which should be auto focus.
  15. #15  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by keld View Post
    Does anyone know if there's a way to make the camera focus when you half press the shutter button on the edge of the phone, it seems like there's a small "gap" when you press it half way which should be auto focus.
    The purpose of the half press in higher quality cameras is to freeze the aperture and focus so the photographer can reframe the shot keeping the same initial settings.

    To demonstrate, try this... Center your camera on a bright area and half press. While holding the half press move the camera to a much less bright area. Now release the half press and notice how the aperture now adjusts to the change in brightness. This allows a photographer to have control of how lighting effects his image. The half press works the same way for focusing.

    A real shutter button with a functional half press is an absolute necessity for a photographer who knows how to use it. All pro quality camera shutter buttons work this way.

    One of the differences in this camera vs a DSLR is that this camera is in constant autofocus.
    Thanked by 2:
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Dedicated Camera button help

    I think he realizes that...but as reviews state, the camera's software auto focus tends to override the half press.
  17. #17  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DougB541 View Post
    I think he realizes that...but as reviews state, the camera's software auto focus tends to override the half press.
    The half press doesn't override autofocus on my mine, it freezes the focus and aperture just as it should.
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Dedicated Camera button help

    Hm...both the Verge and Android central noted that this did not happen. Probably a software bug of sorts on some phones?
  19. #19  
    crxssi's Avatar
    Linux: The power beneath

    Posts
    2,365 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,684 Global Posts

    Default Re: Dedicated Camera button help

    Quote Originally Posted by TraderGary View Post
    The half press doesn't override autofocus on my mine, it freezes the focus and aperture just as it should.
    You are absolutely correct. I even just tested it. What is missing is what everyone expects- which is a visual lock indicator (usually a green bracket or something) and an audible lock beep. Since both are missing, it is natural to assume the half-press is doing nothing. I have to agree with people who want some type of audible/visual feedback.

    I have a feeling these will be added, or at least as an option, with an update, because it really is crazy to be missing (what were they thinking).
  20. #20  
    keld's Avatar

    Posts
    31 Posts
    ROM
    4.xx

    Default Re: Dedicated Camera button help

    Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
    You are absolutely correct. I even just tested it. What is missing is what everyone expects- which is a visual lock indicator (usually a green bracket or something) and an audible lock beep. Since both are missing, it is natural to assume the half-press is doing nothing. I have to agree with people who want some type of audible/visual feedback.

    I have a feeling these will be added, or at least as an option, with an update, because it really is crazy to be missing (what were they thinking).
    Agree, I hope they fix that soon because it is misleading. Sometimes the camera doesn't refocus fast enough on the subject if you move so you have to tap on the screen to tell it 'hey refocus there', I would be hoping that the half press button would replace the annoying screen taping
  21. #21  
    unclegeek's Avatar

    Posts
    24 Posts
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts

    Default Re: Dedicated Camera button help

    What bugs me is how having continuous shooting enabled makes it difficult NOT to do multiple snaps.. I'd like a little more lag in the transition from single shot to multiples.. otherwise you have to press so quick and release that you end up jarring the camera...errr phone. THEN... you have your single shots stored in one folder (DCIM\100MEDIA) and all these sub-folders (DCIM\100BURST\001,002, etc) that contain the kept shots from a multi-shot capture.. when viewing in the gallery it's seamless but on the PC you're like.. where did that picture go!? and you have to explore all these sub folders to find them.. makes it tough to collect and copy your pictures to the PC.. they're spread all over. I think after you "pick your best shot and delete the rest" it should move that picture to the main DCIM\100MEDIA folder and remove the sub-folder under 100BURST... or somehow give you the prompt if you want to do that.

Posting Permissions