Here is how to turn that camera shutter sound off.

Paladin

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I LOVE this camera. It is awesome to be able to snap a dozen photos and pick one(s) that you like. Seriously cool!

That shutter sound though is kind of annoying so I used Tasker to kill it.

I could not find a way to turn it off within the camera settings so I just created a Tasker profile so that when the camera app launches it turns silent mode on. You can snap away and you won't hear a thing. Tasker then automatically turns silent mode off when you exit the camera app so you don't even notice it.

If there is a way to set this in a setting someplace I have just not seen it yet. Either way it is a good lesson in using Tasker. i:Di

I also tested to make sure that if you already had the phone in silent mode that Tasker did not turn it off when you exited the camera app. It doesn't. It does indeed return the phone's audio to its previous state before you launched the camera. This includes vibrate mode as well.

This all works fast and requires nothing on your part. It is just quiet now. i:Di

I just thought I would share for anyone who wanted to remove that shutter click!
There may be an easier way but this worked for me.

=====================================================================
If you want to easily import this code into Tasker including having a widget for your screen to turn the camera sound on/off see my post below:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/ht...urn-camera-shutter-sound-off.html#post1817796

==================================
These are instructions to manually add this to Tasker if you just want to have it silent all the time.
You do not have to do this if you opt to import the files as instructed in the above link.

Open Tasker
Make sure the Profiles tab is selected.
Click on the green plus sign to create a new task.
Give it a name such as "Camera Silence."
Press the green check mark.
Select "Application" when the first ontext windows pops up.
Highlight the "Camera" app.
Select "New Task" (name here is optional)
Press the blue plus sign.
Select "Audio."
Select "Silent Mode"
Under mode select the drop down box and select "on"

All done!

Last edited:

Paladin

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Tonight or tomorrow I will add a way to create a widget for your home screen so you can toggle the camera sound on/off. It will just toggle this profile on or off.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
I get no shutter sound at all when I have the ringer on vibrate :) Seems simple to me- if I am in a situation I don't want a ringer, I don't want a shutter sound either.

Reactions: delthor7

Paladin

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
This is what I use on my Photon. I have not tested it on my Wife's EVOLTE though...

Enforced Stream Silencer

Install it, open it and check the box. Done.

So what exactly does that do? That page has no info.

I get no shutter sound at all when I have the ringer on vibrate :) Seems simple to me- if I am in a situation I don't want a ringer, I don't want a shutter sound either.

That is true but everyone is different. I wanted a way to simply not have sound no matter what my other settings are. To have it behave as if the setting in the camera app was there.

I could simply toggle a widget to silence/vibrate the phone but to me it is a pain to have to do that every time I just want to open the camera and take a fast picture. Or if I forget to silence it and am in a quiet location etc...

Options man. Options are what makes Android the best phone OS.

It was also a way to explain how to do simple things with Tasker. i.e. I use it to set the brightness lower when I launch my E-Book reader and set it back when I exit. I use it to silence my phone during times I have a meeting scheduled on my calendar without having to remember to do so.

I use it so when I put my phone in the car dock it turns bluetooth on, wireless off, ringer and audio to high, even launch some apps I like running while in the car.

Last edited:

Paladin

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Almost $7 bucks for that app?... No thank you! :cool:

I understand. It is not for everyone but to me it is worth every cent. Once you start setting it up it gets addicting wanting to make your phone do all kinds of things.

I am not even an expert by any means. I have just touched the surface of everything you can do with it. There is very good support for it and lots of code you can download that others have created.

I have nothing to do with it aside from being a fan. i:)i

I also buy a lot of Android software and I personally do not feel $7 is much considering what else you can blow money on. Hell that is not even the price of one movie ticket and that is just 2 hours of entertainment. I can get years of fun and usefulness out of Tasker.

Last edited:

ericj12

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
wow just looked up tasker on the play store. it looks like a very useful app. nice find. i've been so out of it lately with quality apps because my old hero was such a piece of junk that i stopped putting apps on it like 9 months ago so i've been looking around the play store like crazy since i got my new evo.

also, i dont mind paying a few bucks for apps every now and then. especially when they are really useful. i buy the mlb at bat app every year and thats $15.

and not to get too far off topic, but if you like to take tons of pictures with cool effects, i recommend paper camera. its an awesome camera effect app but not if you dont like paying for apps. it's $2

KahneFan

Jul 17, 2011
www.ezthemer.com
So what exactly does that do? That page has no info.

On my Photon it has only turned off my camera sound. I haven't heard my Wife's EVOLTE yet, but the MoPho makes a HORRID shutter sound, I HAD to turn that off. It has had no other effect on my phone.

EDIT: Tested on my Wife's phone and it kills the camera sound only. All others work fine.

Last edited:

Paladin

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Nice. I would still rather use Tasker myself as I have control this way. I have no idea what that apk is actually doing, kind of scary that the page has no info. Maybe it is just me but I am always weary of using unknown apk's. I also want to make a widget to toggle the sound for times when you may want to show the camera off, then it is cool! i:Di

I appreciate the info though.

Last edited:

Paladin

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Okay here are the files to create this for Tasker.
This will also give you a widget to toggle the camera sound on/off.

This looks like a lot to do just for this feature but it is simply verbose to give more detail. It will only take you a minute or so to get it going really.

You simply have to put these two files (see below) on your SD card under the Tasker folder (/mnt/sdcard/Tasker) folder

To easily manage files on your SD card I highly recommend an App called WiFi File Explorer PRO

Once these files are on your SD card and you have Tasker installed simply go into Tasker. You will see 4 tabs along the top. Profiles/Tasks/Scenes/Variables

Long press on the "Profiles" tab and select import. Press the icon on the right side (the left side has a red X) and select the "profiles" folder. You should see the camera_sound file, select it.

Long press on the "Tasks" tab and select import. Press the icon on the right side (the left side has a red X) and select the "tasks" folder. You should see the camera_sound file, select it.

Long press on the "Variables" tab and press the green plus sign at the bottom to add a new variable. In the box that pops up and has a % add CAMERA (all uppercase). It should then say "%CAMERA" Just give it a "Variable Value "of 1 when it asks.

That is now all in Tasker. You are done with that!

Now simply add a widget to your screen and select the widget "Tasker"
then under that select "Camera"

It should now work but I do not have another device to test it with an import but it should work. Post or PM me any questions.

======================
Copy and paste this code to a text file and name it "camera_sound.prf.xml" Put this file on your SD card in the Tasker/profiles folder.
Code:
<class cl="TaskerData" sr="">
<tv>1.2.1u1</tv>
<class cl="Profile" sr="prof26">
<cdate>1338322715097</cdate>
<clp>true</clp>
<edate>1338393678069</edate>
<id>26</id>
<mid0>27</mid0>
<nme>Camera Silence</nme>
<class cl="AppContext" sr="con0" ve="2">
<cls0>com.android.camera.CameraEntry</cls0>
<label0>Camera</label0>
<pkg0>com.android.camera</pkg0>
</class>
<class cl="StateContext" sr="con1">
<code>165</code>
<class cl="StringArg" sr="arg0" ve="3">
<val>%CAMERA</val>
</class>
<class cl="IntArg" sr="arg1">
<val>1</val>
</class>
<class cl="StringArg" sr="arg2" ve="3">
<val>1</val>
</class>
</class>
</class>
<class cl="Task" sr="task27">
<cdate>1338322742755</cdate>
<edate>1338391343337</edate>
<id>27</id>
<pri>10</pri>
<class cl="Action" sr="act0" ve="3">
<code>310</code>
<class cl="IntArg" sr="arg0">
<val>2</val>
</class>
</class>
</class>
</class>

======================
Copy and paste this code to a text file and name it "camera_sound.tsk.xml" Put this file on your SD card in the Tasker/tasks folder.

Code:
<class cl="TaskerData" sr="">
<tv>1.2.1u1</tv>
<class cl="Task" sr="task30">
<cdate>1338391379733</cdate>
<edate>1338395855876</edate>
<id>30</id>
<nme>Camera</nme>
<pri>10</pri>
<class cl="Action" sr="act0" ve="3">
<code>888</code>
<val>%CAMERA</val>
</class>
<class cl="IntArg" sr="arg1">
<val>1</val>
</class>
<class cl="IntArg" sr="arg2">
<var>2</var>
</class>
</class>
<class cl="Action" sr="act1" ve="3">
<code>152</code>
<lhs>%CAMERA</lhs>
<op>1</op>
<rhs>1</rhs>
<val>Camera</val>
</class>
<class cl="AppIcon" sr="arg1" ve="2">
<icn>17301553</icn>
</class>
</class>
<class cl="Action" sr="act2" ve="3">
<code>152</code>
<lhs>%CAMERA</lhs>
<op>1</op>
<rhs>0</rhs>
<val>Camera</val>
</class>
<class cl="AppIcon" sr="arg1" ve="2">
<icn>17301554</icn>
</class>
</class>
<class cl="AppIcon" sr="icn" ve="2">
<icn>17301554</icn>
</class>
</class>
</class>

Last edited:

droidscape

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
Hi Paladin, I have a couple of clarification questions about Tasker as it seems like something I have need for.

Does Tasker have the ability to set up changes in the volume settings (ring tone to silent mode) based on scheduled start and stop event times in the calendar? For example, if I have a meeting or a social event like a movie scheduled?

Similary, can Tasker do this based on setting a start and end time that is not calendar based? For example, going to silent mode from midnight to 7am?

Anthonicia

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Hi Paladin, I have a couple of clarification questions about Tasker as it seems like something I have need for.

Does Tasker have the ability to set up changes in the volume settings (ring tone to silent mode) based on scheduled start and stop event times in the calendar? For example, if I have a meeting or a social event like a movie scheduled?

Similary, can Tasker do this based on setting a start and end time that is not calendar based? For example, going to silent mode from midnight to 7am?

Not paladin, but yes I know it can do that. It can also turn WiFi on/off based on where u are at via GPS. Can do a lot more as well. Pretty cool app.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Paladin

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
What Anthonicia said i:)i

Yes I have a separate calendar for certain meetings and I have it so Tasker puts the phone on silent anytime there is something scheduled on it. It lasts for the time of the meeting automatically. setting it on normal afterwards. So basically it auto mutes the phone and I don't have to worry about forgetting to do that.

Check this out, I also combine both the things you want. I have tasker silence the phone 11:30-8:00am M-F and 11:30-11am Saturday and Sunday. If I have the word "off" on my calendar it keeps it silent M-F until 11am as well. Like a weekend so I can sleep in if I have a day off during the week. i:)i

I also use it to turn wi-fi off, gps on, bluetooth on, audio to high, and auto brightness on when I put it in my car dock. Then when I remove the phone it sets them back etc...

When I launch certain apps I make it keep the screen on, adjust brightness etc...

There is just so much it can do.. i:Di

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
You should post in the op that it is illegal to have your camera shutter sound shut off in some areas of the country. They should check before doing so.

Sent from my LG-LS670 using Android Central Forums

juststart

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Well, at least I know if my phone is on silent/vibrate the shutter won't make a sound. I have the HOX as well and there's an option in the camera settings to turn off the shutter. I'm not sure why this is excluded on the Sprint version.

Paladin

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
You should post in the op that it is illegal to have your camera shutter sound shut off in some areas of the country. They should check before doing so.

Sent from my LG-LS670 using Android Central Forums

This is a help forum, not a legal one. I don't think it is our job to inform people what the laws are, sorry. Common sense should rule here.

They can shut it off as it is just by putting the phone on silent or vibrate. I was only trying to help by offering a way for it to happen automatically like a setting would.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs