Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Default Re: Evo 4g lte or samsung galaxy s3

Hi I'm on the fence about this. I currently own a SG2 and will I notice a big difference between the EVO 4G and the SG3? I'm tempted to preorder a 32gb SG3 but I don't really want to go a week without a phone, and the EVO 4G's screen looks very good and there are a lot of features I like on the EVO.

Did you make your decision yet? One vote for Galaxy s3 because I already played around enough with EVO 4G LTE.
    -Motorola Droid X -> Samsung Galaxy S2 -> Samsung Galaxy S3

Get both of them like I did.

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE using Android Central Forums
    Minotking likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mwandroboy View Post
    Did you make your decision yet? One vote for Galaxy s3 because I already played around enough with EVO 4G LTE.
    I'm going to try the phone out in the store. It's really a toss up. I'm really tired of the glitchy, bad reception SG2. Does the HTC really have much better radio?

I'm tempted to pull the trigger on the 32GB SG3, but knowing how my SG2 performed and the feel of the phone, the HTC seems temping. I guess I'll go with the EVO because I am going to my friend's house in the bay area on the 15th and giving him my old SG2.

Quote Originally Posted by rockdrummersrock View Post
    Lol same idea, Wife pre-ordered hers and I plan to play with it for like 5-10 hours if she'll let me then decide if I swap it out at best buy (I will have 2 days left on my 30 day return). This will be interesting. I've always been more of an HTC guy and love my Evo but if anything could bring me to the dark side it might be the S3.....
    BEWARE!!! Best Buy is 14 days, not 30. I just called today and they told me that its because the carrier policy is 14 days they have to go by that or they would be breaking their contract with the carriers. Is this true?

I picked up my EVO LTE on 6/2 and would loved to get the SGS3 on the 21st and compare side by side.

EDIT: I just saw another post that says Best Buy's policy is 14 days to reverse the contract and 30 days to exchange the phone so you should be ok.
    Last edited by lsutigers; 06-11-2012 at 10:23 PM.

Don't want to be off topic but in regards to Best Buy return policy would it work if I returned my EVO which I got on May 24th and picked up the S3... but, if I didn't love the S3 return it and pick up another EVO?

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    1,532 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted Mk3

Quote Originally Posted by blazintrav View Post
    I'm going to try the phone out in the store. It's really a toss up. I'm really tired of the glitchy, bad reception SG2. Does the HTC really have much better radio?

I'm tempted to pull the trigger on the 32GB SG3, but knowing how my SG2 performed and the feel of the phone, the HTC seems temping. I guess I'll go with the EVO because I am going to my friend's house in the bay area on the 15th and giving him my old SG2.
    My mom has the og evo 4g and it gets amazing reception even without modifying the data menu. My phone only pulls 1 bar in our house where hers is constantly pulling at least 3 when we are in the same room. Not to mention her data speeds are triple mine.

It really depends on personal preference I've heard the new evo is horrible at multitasking but its not a problem to me because I don't multitask plus I love the new sense UI.

Sent from my LG-LS670 using Android Central Forums

I'm going to have to try the EVO out before making a decision. I am probably getting a 32gb SG3. I don't like being limited on my phone storage, and I really liked my SG2. However the radio on the SG2 is really killing my enjoyment of the phone. I am wondering if I can buy the phone and then decide the same day whether to keep it? I'm going to buy it at a Sprint store.

So went to best buy to return my LTE for a new one and also decided to pre order the s3. I've had the og, 3d and now LTE from launch so HTC is all I've owned last few years. This phone is bad *** but there's a few things that I just can't stand like multitasking. If you can even call it that. I just can't understand why HTC would do this???? To make even worse they don't recognize it as a problem. I really do enjoy this phone but it has to many short comings and is the reason why I will be returning this on the 21st to give the s3 a "chance". I've been reading a lot on temp fixes for example to fix the HTC reloads use nova launcher. The reason why I and most people bought and keep buying HTC phones is we like sense and they're widgets compared to Sammy and they're touch wiz and moto blur. You use any other launcher and say good buy to sense widgets and if that's the case if I would prefer it on a phone with more power like 2gigs of ram that would more than likely woop bloaty sense into shape. Probably would fix multitasking too. And yes I said fix sorry HTC but what you did with this EVO is not multitasking.

Global Posts
    195 Global Posts

So I was holding out for the White LTEvo, but after reading so many complaints about the horrible multitasking and other complaints, I've been leaning more towards the Galaxy.
    The screen is supposedly better on the LTEvo but I wonder by how much; plus the extra GB of RAM makes up for that.
    S-Voice means nothing.
    However, i have to see if the S3 addresses the radio issues present in several other Sammy phones.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
    Linux: The power beneath

Global Posts
    2,380 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dazo View Post
    The screen is supposedly better on the LTEvo but I wonder by how much; plus the extra GB of RAM makes up for that. S-Voice means nothing. However, i have to see if the S3 addresses the radio issues present in several other Sammy phones.
    In addition to the loss of the better screen and possibly better radios, you will also lose the kickstand, the dedicated camera button, better case (aluminum), standard MHL cable compatibility, Beats audio, and possibly Sprint HD Voice (not sure if the last two will matter much, hard to know).

In most ways, the phones are very evenly matched- same CPU/GPU/chipset, same resolution, nearly same screen size, very similar form factor, etc. As for the HTC flavor of "multitasking" turning into "task switching"- many people don't seem to care, as long as it doesn't lose their place. Might get fixed, might not. It is certainly the most controversial and problematic design choice issues with both the Evo LTE and the One X series.

Sometimes the grass is greener on the other side. Sometimes it isn't. Often, you don't know either way until it is too late to have a choice.

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Quis View Post
    You've loaded 100 additional apps than what came on the phone? What tiny sized apps are you downloading?!
    I have around 125 apps now and I've moved what I could to phone storage. What apps are you using that are so huge??

Evo 4g lte or samsung galaxy s3-uploadfromtaptalk1339626787448.jpg

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

I'm going to wait until they're both in the store and I can play with them both side by side. I'm leaning toward the S3 though for two reasons:

1. Removable battery. There's nothing like having a fresh battery with you in case you run your phone down. Also, your battery life will get shorter the longer you own the phone. Sure it lasts all day now, but what's it going to be like in 18 months?.

2. It's the exact same phone on all the major carriers. That means you'll have a much wider choice of custom roms and the rest going forward.

My biggest concern about the Sammy is the screen brightness b/c I like to use my phone as a GPS. Judging by the video, it looks like they've improved on their crappy radios, so that's not longer an issue (GPS lock on my GS1 (Vibrant) is deplorable.
    Linux: The power beneath

Global Posts
    2,380 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MaxMingus View Post
    Removable battery. There's nothing like having a fresh battery with you in case you run your phone down.
    Yes there is, it is called an external battery... and you can plug it in without shutting the phone down and booting it back up again. And it can hold much more charge than a typical battery. Of course, it is a tether situation (the main drawback). With the Evo LTE (or SIII for that matter), the battery life is already crazy good. I would only carry a battery for emergency use while motorcycle riding or camping or something. I have two... one is so small, it is lighter and smaller than a typical internal phone battery. The other is half the size of a phone, but twice as thick and has almost triple the battery capacity of a phone.

* Plus it can be used to power and/or charge any other USB device- tablet, headset, flashlight, etc.

* Plus it, itself, can be charged by a computer, tablet, car charger, wall power.

* Plus it actually costs less than an OEM or quality replacement internal battery.

* Plus since it is such a high capacity, it is more likely to have more than enough charge even if not touched for months (batteries discharge even with no use).

* Plus you can check the battery status/capacity without it plugged into anything.

It is not necessarily the PERFECT solution for all people, but as you can see, an external battery actually has different advantages.

Also, your battery life will get shorter the longer you own the phone. Sure it lasts all day now, but what's it going to be like in 18 months?
    That is when you pop off the antenna/SD cover, the bottom little cover, remove two scews and replace the battery in the Evo LTE by unplugging and replugging in the the cable/connector on the cord. Videos have already been posted. Looks like maybe 5 minutes.
    Click "Thanks" and/or "Like" button on posts where someone helped you or you liked the posting. Nexus 5 (T-Mobile), Nexus 10, Evo LTE, Evo 3D, Evo 4G
    bc2k and ffejjj like this.

ROM
    4.1.2 and 4.2 stock

Quote Originally Posted by EVO28312 View Post
    So went to best buy to return my LTE for a new one and also decided to pre order the s3. I've had the og, 3d and now LTE from launch so HTC is all I've owned last few years. This phone is bad *** but there's a few things that I just can't stand like multitasking. If you can even call it that. I just can't understand why HTC would do this???? To make even worse they don't recognize it as a problem. I really do enjoy this phone but it has to many short comings and is the reason why I will be returning this on the 21st to give the s3 a "chance". I've been reading a lot on temp fixes for example to fix the HTC reloads use nova launcher. The reason why I and most people bought and keep buying HTC phones is we like sense and they're widgets compared to Sammy and they're touch wiz and moto blur. You use any other launcher and say good buy to sense widgets and if that's the case if I would prefer it on a phone with more power like 2gigs of ram that would more than likely woop bloaty sense into shape. Probably would fix multitasking too. And yes I said fix sorry HTC but what you did with this EVO is not multitasking.
    I think you suffer from to many goodies the phone will be updated as you know and sammy phone hmm you know there track record with updates

Global Posts
    631 Global Posts

I switched today and I have to be honest...I far prefer the S3.

It's lighter..or at least feels so

Really appreciate the rounded corners as it's easier to hold.

I know nobody will believe this but while the EVO screen was beautifully clear, this one simply excels to my photographers eyes due to the black levels and it's just more alive. The pentile issue is an totally non issue.

WIFI, especially on 5ghz is much faster than it was on the HTC

Phone signal strength looking at the streenght numbers is identical.

3G is just as fast as the EVO was and I found that to be better than any other android phone I had previously.

Inside my brick office building, GPS locks within 5 seconds and is instantly at a 9 foot level with 12 sats active.

The EVO was nice when it worked (I had issues) and the screen was beautiful but this one just seems so much more alive to me...and I realize it's all about personal preferences.

Extremely happy with my decision....doesn't mean you would be.

Quote Originally Posted by jfenton View Post

WIFI, especially on 5ghz is much faster than it was on the HTC
    Uh...you sure about that - because most evidence points to the EVO having a far superior wifi experience?

Just curious - haven't had my hands on a stateside Galaxy S 3 - but have had nothing but good experiences with the EVO LTE on wifi

Jack
    Thanked by:

Evo 4g lte for sure,not even considering the sgs3,this evo in my opinion is the best phone on the market.just wish i had .4glte in my area(shepherdsville,ky).does anyone know if this phone is getting any updates anytime soon?
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    631 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slackerjack View Post
    Uh...you sure about that - because most evidence points to the EVO having a far superior wifi experience?

Just curious - haven't had my hands on a stateside Galaxy S 3 - but have had nothing but good experiences with the EVO LTE on wifi

Jack
    Absolutely positive based on my experience of using both. The S3 WIFI flies whether on 2.4 or 5 connections. Pages simply p[op open rather than loading a lot of the time and that's whether using stock Boat or Dolphin. The EVO, at least in my house, my offfice and in the airports I fly in and out of was slower and constantly stuttered on me, frequently getting "stuck" when trying to lad a page.

Global Posts
    631 Global Posts

If you are convincing yourself either of these phones is the best on the market simply due to what you're reading, you are cheating yourself.

To me, other than the EVO being metal and the S3 being polycarbonate, (quote honestly I prefer the shape and feeling of the S3 in the hand), there are pluses and minuses and neither of these phones wins across the board.

I have picky eyes and I can tell you the S3 screen is real use is every bit as good as the EVO LTE (with being is bright sunlight being the advantage on the EVO) and has more pleasing contrast / colors to my eyes. If you're a fanboy on either side, I know you'll never even look to prove it to yourself but coming from a photographer, that's my take at least.

Evo4GLTE wins in all categories,,, hands down sorry Sammy fam boys :beer::thumbup:

from Evo4GLTE on Android Central

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury81 View Post
    Evo4GLTE wins in all categories,,, hands down sorry Sammy fam boys :beer::thumbup:

Except features, memory, multitasking, removable battery (very important feature).

*swyped from the evo so excuse any typos*

Quote Originally Posted by The Hustleman View Post
    Except features, memory, multitasking, removable battery (very important feature).

*swyped from the evo so excuse any typos*
    Moveable battery important....:thumbdown:
    Sammy you have the WiFi issues, screen burn issues, radio issues, everyone hates home button very important ....

Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Gtortora79 View Post
    I pre ordered the evo today. People keep telling me to wait for the Galaxy s3 for sprint which I'm currently on. Should I wait for the Galaxy s3 or get the evo?
    Why are people advising you to wait for the S3? Why do they KEEP telling you to wait?
    Any specific reasons?

Guys the phones perform very silimarly...it comes down to features and preference. The fact of the matter is, you can't go wrong with either device . Its not like last year if u picked an Evo 3d over a galaxy s2 where a midget would come out and punch you in the box then point and laugh at you.

Jack

Sent from my Evo LTE using 3g...because Sprint needs to get their collective asses in gear
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast