Missing the Voice Search button? Here's the fix!!

manonmoon49

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
Alright people. I have figured out the trick to finally add a voice search shortcut that you can add to the menu bar and always have it on every screen.

1) Download this https://forums.androidcentral.com/e....sika524.android.quickshortcut&token=EJWkDWqY

View attachment 26801

2) open the app

View attachment 26802

3) type voice and select the highlighted activity that ends with RecognitionActivity

View attachment 26803

4) add the new shortcut to the menu bar

View attachment 26804

5) Enjoy your new voice search shortcut

Sent from my ALL NEW HTC Evo 4G LTE!!

Last edited:

NicksGarage

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Good find. Made one for voice search and text search. Not an exact replacement for the hardware search button but usable.

a22matic

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the tip, but...

So I downloaded it, and added it to my menu bar. 1) When you say on every screen, you are referring to every panel, correct? 2) Are you getting a pop up box (Voice Search 3.0.1 with tutorial, help center, and send feedback info)? This would seem to be annoying after a while. I thought it would display Google voice like the microphone icon on the Google search bar?

Makad

May 9, 2010
Visit site

So I downloaded it, and added it to my menu bar. 1) When you say on every screen, you are referring to every panel, correct? 2) Are you getting a pop up box (Voice Search 3.0.1 with tutorial, help center, and send feedback info)? This would seem to be annoying after a while. I thought it would display Google voice like the microphone icon on the Google search bar?

Is there a way to get rid of the tutorial, help center, and send feedback info?

manonmoon49

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site

I did mean every panel. Not surely why you are getting the popup. I'm not

Sent from my NEW Evo 4G LTE... wait.... I have LTE?? Not yet?!? BLAST!!!

manonmoon49

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site

Did you click on the second voice search that ended in "RecognitionActivity"? It sounds like you created the shortcut to "HelpActivity".

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
This is *THE* best solution to the problem. That app is fantastic. No adware, no special perms! And your screenshots are very helpful. Thanks!

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
This is *THE* best solution to the problem. That app is fantastic. No adware, no special perms! And your screenshots are very helpful. Thanks!
The best solution would be to get every EVO LTE and Galaxy Nexus owner to email Google and tell them to bring back for buttons.... Lol.

Google really screwed up going to 3 buttons. It's so stupid.

cloak.n.dagger

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
The best solution would be to get every EVO LTE and Galaxy Nexus owner to email Google and tell them to bring back for buttons.... Lol.

Google really screwed up going to 3 buttons. It's so stupid.

Google??? Last time I checked the manufacturer of my phone was HTC. Google's solution is to put all the buttons on the screen. HTC's solution was to give you 3 HW buttons on the phone and put one button on the screen (the menu button). I, personally, think that getting rid of the menu button was a mistake cuz I hate the wasted screen space that the on-screen menu button takes up. If you're gonna have one button on the screen, might as well have all the button on the screen. What's the point of 3 HW buttons and one on-screen button? Silly if you ask me...

Reactions: baykcd

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Google??? Last time I checked the manufacturer of my phone was HTC. Google's solution is to put all the buttons on the screen. HTC's solution was to give you 3 HW buttons on the phone and put one button on the screen (the menu button). I, personally, think that getting rid of the menu button was a mistake cuz I hate the wasted screen space that the on-screen menu button takes up. If you're gonna have one button on the screen, might as well have all the button on the screen. What's the point of 3 HW buttons and one on-screen button? Silly if you ask me...
I am not a big fan of on screen buttons as it takes up screen real estate, but looking at how HTC has implemented the buttons, I would've perfered the on screen layout like the Galaxy Nexus. There is a software mod that allows the 4 buttons on the Galaxy Gexus, which would have been nice.

yakfshr1

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
didn't know where the shortcut was and now i have 6 of them, how do i delete them. i touch/hold the icon for a few seconds and a box pops up to delete but goes away when i take my finger off it. I don't need six of the same microphone icon.

Last edited:

manonmoon49

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
didn't know where the shortcut was and now i have 6 of them, how do i delete them. i touch/hold the icon for a few seconds and a box pops up to delete but goes away when i take my finger off it. I don't need six of the same microphone icon.

You have to drag it to the upper right side of the screen over "REMOVE"

Sent from my ALL NEW HTC Evo 4G LTE!!

Reactions: yakfshr1

a22matic

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Did you click on the second voice search that ended in "RecognitionActivity"? It sounds like you created the shortcut to "HelpActivity".

You are correct sir. It created the shortcut on another panel, & once I found it, I was good to go. I also created one for google search. Thx for your tips!

guitarec

May 28, 2011
Visit site
You can also use this app to create a shortcut to launch SoundHound independent of HTC's music/FM radio apps.

Search "sound" and select the action ending in ".view.SoundHound"

Eric "GuitarEC"

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Reactions: baykcd