Location and 3G

kennethbring

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone else been having problems with their location and 3G signal?

For instance, every time an app needs my location, it says "Unable to detect current location". and the weather widget just says "Current Location". I've tried all the basics including disabling and re-nabling automatic time zone, restarting the phone, updating PRL and Profile, etc. Checked the settings in the weather widget and some settings were unchecked, but checking them didnt make a difference. It doesnt matter if its on Wi-Fi or 3G. It cannot seem to find my location. After updating the PRL (and contacting Sprint), it was finally able to find my location, but now its stuck on that location, even with a refresh. I'm 30 miles from the location its showing (as I travel across town for work).

Also, my 3G signal randomly drops every hour or so. Sometimes it comes back on its own, and other times, it does not. I have to go into options and manually disable and re-enable it.

I have an appointment at the Sprint store on Saturday, but I was wondering if you guys have found any fixes that would help me to avoid getting a new phone.

svargas05

May 17, 2010
Visit site

For instance, every time an app needs my location, it says "Unable to detect current location". and the weather widget just says "Current Location". I've tried all the basics including disabling and re-nabling automatic time zone, restarting the phone, updating PRL and Profile, etc. Checked the settings in the weather widget and some settings were unchecked, but checking them didnt make a difference. It doesnt matter if its on Wi-Fi or 3G. It cannot seem to find my location. After updating the PRL (and contacting Sprint), it was finally able to find my location, but now its stuck on that location, even with a refresh. I'm 30 miles from the location its showing (as I travel across town for work).

Also, my 3G signal randomly drops every hour or so. Sometimes it comes back on its own, and other times, it does not. I have to go into options and manually disable and re-enable it.

I have an appointment at the Sprint store on Saturday, but I was wondering if you guys have found any fixes that would help me to avoid getting a new phone.

Drop down notification bar > Settings > Mobile Network > Network Mode > Select "CDMA Only"

I've noticed that when you have "LTE/CDMA" it drops the 3G signal at times, probably in attempts to search for LTE signal.

Reactions: kennethbring

kennethbring

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Drop down notification bar > Settings > Mobile Network > Network Mode > Select "CDMA Only"

I've noticed that when you have "LTE/CDMA" it drops the 3G signal at times, probably in attempts to search for LTE signal.

Thanks for that. Though that was the first thing I did out of the box. Conserving battery life and all

dtreo

May 4, 2010
Visit site
Oh no...not this! This issue is why I returned the GNex and put a deposit on an EVO LTE. Come on EVO! Get your act together.

AlternetConcept

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Umm not to be a debbie downer.. but I believe sprint is launching the new evo's this saturday. hopefully your local sprint won't be packed with people wanting your phone :p

but other than that good luck with trying to get that fixed and post back and tell us what happened!

kennethbring

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Update.

Went to 3 different Sprint stores this past weekend. None of which could fix it. The first one just said "Its not even out yet so we cant do anything"

The second one did a factory reset, updated the PRL and Profile and did something in their system to it (all of which I've already done and told them I'd already done) and that didn't fix it, so they referred me to a repair center.

All the repair center did was look at it, smile, and say "This will be fixed in a software update" and that was it.

So I called Sprint order support today just wanting to exchange it. No runaround. They told me I'd have to talk to technical support (which I've already done and theres notes in the system) so they can deem it defective.If so, they'll send me a new one. Other than that, I could pay a restocking fee, pay for the phone again, and they'd ship me another one and credit me back once they received this one.

Seems like an awful lot of runaround. Never had problems with Sprint until now.

And just FYI to the people who preordered...the last day to return or exchange the device is tomorrow, June 5th. So if you had that in mind, you may want to jump on it.

adz1966

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

I had the same problems and I re-provisioned my phone. Now all is okay. You'll need your MSL but Sprint usually will give that to you if you ask. Sprint will go thru this whole process if you want them to. Just tell them you have no internet connection ;-)

From the dialpad, dial ##72786#, enter your MSL, Menu, Reset, OK.

The phone will go thru it's process then everything should be okay.

Reactions: Technosticrati