Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By cloak.n.dagger
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Was the 29.99/5gb hotspot removed when you upgraded?

Did your 29.99 5gb hotspot get removed when you activated your Evo? The rep is telling me because I activated a new device it automatically removed my grandfathered plan?

Updated 06.05.12:
    So someone from Dan's office called me back today and said they were informed that the plan is not compatible with my phone. I told him PLENTY of people still had the hotspot plan on their phone and that I didn't buy it. I asked for someone higher than him. I understand that it is no longer avail but if it was removed from my account without my consent then I should not be penalized for Sprint's mistake. Has anyone else been told that the plan is not comptabile with the device? Or do you still have it on your plan? This is ridiculous. Furthermore if that was the case I should have at least been informed that it was not compatible with my device. I don't believe them though.
    Last edited by TheJediGoddess; 06-05-2012 at 11:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJediGoddess View Post
    Did your 29.99 5gb hotspot get removed when you activated your Evo? The rep is telling me because I activated a new device it automatically removed my grandfathered plan?
    And what is the new cost?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: 29.99 Hotspot removed?

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    And what is the new cost?
    The crappy 2gb plan and 6gb plan. I did not authorize a change on my account. I didn't even give them my pin. I will raise he** if they don't put it back on. He says:

"Corey U.: I discussed the case with My supervisor, the hotspot pack of $29.99 being a sales expired hotspot plan , it can only be active on the device which was active. Once any sales expired plan is deactivated or the old device is removed, the pack is deactivated automatically and can not be added back to the new device. So I would suggest you to please opt for any of the plan available for the Hotspot."
    Last edited by TheJediGoddess; 05-31-2012 at 10:54 PM.

Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (Rooted) | CM9

Default Re: Was the 29.99/5gb hotspot removed when you upgraded?

2gb plan $19.99
    6gb plan $49.99
    Phone: HTC EVO 4G LTE
    Rom: Stock (Rooted)
    Kernel: Stock
    Recovery Image: TWRP

Global Posts
    1,188 Global Posts
    ROM
    Never Stock

A perfect reason to root your phone and install the FREE wireless tether app! Trust me, it's not illegal and some other buffoons would have you believe.
    -Stay thirsty my friends.
    cgardnervt and krcm0209 like this.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by cloak.n.dagger View Post
    A perfect reason to root your phone and install the FREE wireless tether app! Trust me, it's not illegal and some other buffoons would have you believe.
    *blush* I've never rooted a phone before. I'm afraid I'd mess it up. I guess I could give it a try.

Global Posts
    1,188 Global Posts
    ROM
    Never Stock

It's way easier than it's ever been before. Read these instructions...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1671577

...and if it seems too difficult, then don't do it. But I assure you this is the easiest root method I have ever seen, aside from rEVOlution. The dev in this thread assures you that it's impossible to mess up your phone. I've been rooting and ROMing for 2 years now and can say that bricking a phone is extremely hard to do (but not impossible).
    -Stay thirsty my friends.

That is pretty lame... hopefully they can get it sorted out.

If you still want to do the free option, check out foxfi. I have been using it to tether with my evo. The best part... it doesn't require root.
    There are a couple of drawbacks.
    1. The security measures (ie password protection) don't work, so it is always an open network.
    2. Sprint hid the app in the play store so you cant search for it directly. The easiest way is to google "foxfi" in your phones browser and click on the google play link which will take you back to the play store and lets you download the app. The second option is to go to http://foxfi.com/bin/ download foxfi and sideload the app.

So far, it seems to work well and is certainly cheaper than paying for the tethering plan.
    Thanked by:
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by cloak.n.dagger View Post
    It's way easier than it's ever been before. Read these instructions...

How to Root/Unroot HTC Evo 4G LTE! [Windows/Mac/Linux][One-Click] - xda-developers

...and if it seems too difficult, then don't do it. But I assure you this is the easiest root method I have ever seen, aside from rEVOlution. The dev in this thread assures you that it's impossible to mess up your phone. I've been rooting and ROMing for 2 years now and can say that bricking a phone is extremely hard to do (but not impossible).
    Quote Originally Posted by decke003 View Post
    That is pretty lame... hopefully they can get it sorted out.

If you still want to do the free option, check out foxfi. I have been using it to tether with my evo. The best part... it doesn't require root.
    There are a couple of drawbacks.
    1. The security measures (ie password protection) don't work, so it is always an open network.
    2. Sprint hid the app in the play store so you cant search for it directly. The easiest way is to google "foxfi" in your phones browser and click on the google play link which will take you back to the play store and lets you download the app. The second option is to go to FoxFi Installer download foxfi and sideload the app.

So far, it seems to work well and is certainly cheaper than paying for the tethering plan.
    I'm still pissed that it was removed !!! Im going to look into rooting this weekend. Will also try Foxfi before doing that. Thanks guys. Everyone is always so helpful. If you upgraded your phone, I'd call and see if its still on your plan or not.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Updated info in my original post. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

They made it crystal clear to me that the existing hotspot plan was no longer valid and I had to change to one of the new options - so I just cancelled the hotspot option
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by naldiian View Post
    They made it crystal clear to me that the existing hotspot plan was no longer valid and I had to change to one of the new options - so I just cancelled the hotspot option
    See I was not informed of that info. I won't be adding the crappy 19.99 2gb package or the expensive 49.99 6gb option. Also with something that could impact so many members, I would think they would send out more communication about it. I received a text today w/ hotspot changes but nothing before today. I wonder if half the people haven't realized that its removed? I find it strange that more peeps aren't posting about it. Maybe they were informed--unlike me.