Wi-Fi dropping solution found

Nasko

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I think i found what causes wifi to drop and reconnect all the time. As most of you know turning on best wifi kills the battery. But if you leave it off, and choose one of the frequencies 2.5ghz or 5ghz, wifi is super stable and also no dropping. I figured this out about an hour ago and don't have an app to test batrery, but i can already tell its better than having best wifi turned on. Hope this helps. 5ghz is faster but with shorter range. 2.5ghz is the oposite.

Reactions: errbin and crxssi

Mercury81

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
+1 thanks for info, I also changed setting to see if I notice anything, even though I had not experienced any multi taking issue for the first week of using the Evo4GLTE.

sent from my Evo4LTE

Nasko

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
No problem. I wish htc chose one frequency by default. I am sure some people returned their phones due to this setting.I know i was thinking about it.

Anthonicia

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I tried changing to both 2.5 and 5 last night at work. It stopped dropping in and out for a few minutes but then started dropping in and out again.

And it's not something silly like being too far away.

Sent from OG EVO LTE with Android Central Forums

Enderend

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Switched to 2.4. No change yet. Glad to hear that this is a known issue. I was about to send the phone out for repairs. Hopefully HTC puts out a fix soon. They are pretty good about that. (Are you listening, Samsung?)

Sent from my EVO LTE

Anthonicia

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm thinking it has something to do with the way routers switch frequencies whether password protected or not. Going to try and troubleshoot this issue more tonight at work.

Apps like WiFi manager give u some more advanced controls and monitoring interfaces. Hopefully come up with a fix for myself and others that switching to 2.5 doesn't work for.

Nasko

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I want to confirn that 2.5ghz is scetchy for me too. Doesnt drop as often, but it does. On 5ghz i am really good.

Anthonicia

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I found another fix or 2. This has seemed to fix my WiFi dropping issue.

First, it doesn't matter if set on auto or 2.4 GHz. I didn't try 5 GHz since I don't use it. I downloaded WiFi manager from google play store and connected via that app. WiFi isn't dropping at all now.

There's something about these stock WiFi radios or software on HTC for me. They don't seem to scan correctly. Had problems on my old EVO that wouldn't see my network. WiFi manager did though.

Try that first because it seems to have done the trick for me. If you are still having issues with WiFi it could possibly be interference from other networks. I also downloaded WiFi analyzer which is a very good app u should get regardless. It has a tool that checks your network and reccomends the best channel to use related to the other traffic in your vicinity. You could change your router settings based on their reccomendations to hopefully alleviate congestion issues.

Sorry for the long post, but I hope this helps everyone else that's still having problems with WiFi dropping.

Reactions: hankbear and bc2k

mawilson82

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I found another fix or 2. This has seemed to fix my WiFi dropping issue.

First, it doesn't matter if set on auto or 2.4 GHz. I didn't try 5 GHz since I don't use it. I downloaded WiFi manager from google play store and connected via that app. WiFi isn't dropping at all now.

There's something about these stock WiFi radios or software on HTC for me. They don't seem to scan correctly. Had problems on my old EVO that wouldn't see my network. WiFi manager did though.

Try that first because it seems to have done the trick for me. If you are still having issues with WiFi it could possibly be interference from other networks. I also downloaded WiFi analyzer which is a very good app u should get regardless. It has a tool that checks your network and reccomends the best channel to use related to the other traffic in your vicinity. You could change your router settings based on their reccomendations to hopefully alleviate congestion issues.

Sorry for the long post, but I hope this helps everyone else that's still having problems with WiFi dropping.

Had the same issue here. It drained my battery significantly (under Android OS) because it kept switching from WiFi to 3g all night long. I used WiFi Analyzer and found another network using the same channel. I switched channels and have not noticed it dropping anymore.

Reactions: Allocman

NastyNeil

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Since I have started using wifi manager per your suggestion this morning, I have not dropped at all. I hope that the real problem is fixed with an update, but this is the best solution so far. Thanks for the heads up.

Anthonicia

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Glad I could help you guys by helping myself. Don't know why the other person that tried it is getting the thanks, but to each their own I guess.

Reactions: errbin and dyphx

errbin

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
Downloaded the WiFi manager and switch to 2.4ghz worked great thanks guys

sent from a EVO that survived a Apple attack... thug life

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member