Cannot Display this message

HnLA

May 31, 2012
Visit site
I am using the regular email, and am new to Android. I get most of my messages to an AOL account. A few of the messages say "cannot display this message" The latest was from barackobama.com, which I am sure goes to millions of people. I am able to read it in AOL and on iOS (ipod touch). Is there a reason for this? Can I fix this?

Some people mentioned using a different app to read emails. Is there a good one that would work with AOL accounts (I also have gmail and yahoo accounts that I really dont use regularly)

Also, the messages are too big for the screen, even when I turn to landscape. It is a huge hassle to not see the whole line. Some said this is normal for android, but its quite annoying and slows down reading emails.

Finally, if there are some photos embeded in the email, is there a way to save them to theGallery. I know on iOS just holding down one pic it asks if you want to save one or all of the photos, but I have not been able to do that in android.
Thanks very much.

ericj12

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
I am using the regular email, and am new to Android. I get most of my messages to an AOL account. A few of the messages say "cannot display this message" The latest was from barackobama.com, which I am sure goes to millions of people. I am able to read it in AOL and on iOS (ipod touch). Is there a reason for this? Can I fix this?

Some people mentioned using a different app to read emails. Is there a good one that would work with AOL accounts (I also have gmail and yahoo accounts that I really dont use regularly)

Also, the messages are too big for the screen, even when I turn to landscape. It is a huge hassle to not see the whole line. Some said this is normal for android, but its quite annoying and slows down reading emails.

Finally, if there are some photos embeded in the email, is there a way to save them to theGallery. I know on iOS just holding down one pic it asks if you want to save one or all of the photos, but I have not been able to do that in android.
Thanks very much.

guess you got a republican evo... ;)

Mercury81

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
I use Gmail and touch down for email no issues with subject headings. I know most mail services you have to open an email to read the whole thing. If you opens an attachment and press on a pictures or document it'll ask whee to save it..ie sd card, folder,.. ect.

sent from my Evo4LTE

HnLA

May 31, 2012
Visit site
Perhaps this is a 4.0 ICS thing, but a few emails show not readable, or when I open cannot read it. This is not the case on iOS for the same emails.
I have an email with my puppy's pics embeded, not attached. I cannot save them to the Gallery, there is no way to hold to get a prompt to save. Just does not happen.

I am not sure why one needs to get a separate app to read email. To me any phone should be able to read any email, it does not seem that complicated. It should fit the email to the screen and allow you to save things in the email. This is so simple on iOS, why is it so complicated on ICS?

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
My first question - are you reading it on a browser or are you using the mail app? If you're using the browser, I would suggest downloading a different one. Dolphin and Opera are great. I know Chrome is supposed to be nice, but I haven't used it yet. I don't really like stock browsers at all. Even on HTC devices, and I'm a fan of Sense. Also, if you're using a browser and not an app, verify that you have your settings correct - they all have options for displaying photos and certain content and will also allow you to revert to a desktop page instead of a mobile view of the site.

HnLA

May 31, 2012
Visit site
I am not using a browser. I am not the type to think that I need a browser to read emails, I assume that the one with the phone is fine. That has been my experience with iOS. Most of my emails come to AOL accounts, I have the email reader set to "all accounts", which are 3 AOL and 2 gmail. Its sad to me that I cannot read an email as the lines are too big for the viewer, or that I need to hit open for each and every dang email. etc

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Well, I haven't set up my email accounts yet so I can't be sure, but I know that you can pinch-zoom in the text messages so maybe you can do the same in the email client when you're looking at the headers, if that's what you're referring to.

As for the browser, stock is fine. But it isn't great. It gets better with each version, though. It's no different than Windows: you can use IE and it's okay. But you can use Chrome or Firefox (or Netscape back in the day - HOLLA!) and have a little more flexibility and choice. Android isn't any different than that. They give you some decent basics, but more importantly they give you OPTIONS. Lots and lots and lots of options for every aspect of the phone.

grayin

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
I work for a government contractor and we get a lot of emails from people within the government. Last year I got an Evo Shift with Sense 3 on it. I set up my work email with the Sense email client (which is NOT the same app as plain Android uses). Many of the emails from our government customers were not readable on the phone and just said something like this email is still on the server. I believe this is because they are digitally signed.

HTC and Sprint were no help and since I was not able to solve the issue I exchanged the Evo Shift for a Nexus S 4g with plain Android 2.3. I did not have that issue with the Nexus.

Fast forward to now and I have a new Evo 4G LTE. My Nexus S 4G had been upgraded to Android 4 ICS and still had no issues with those emails so I was concerned that the new Evo with Sense 4 and ICS might have the old issue. But I am not seeing the issue. The digitally signed emails are delivered just like on plain ICS. You might try deleting your AOL account and setting it up again.

Anthonicia

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I had problems like this on the og EVO. A lot of emails that were text only went blank out of nowhere and I couldn't get the stock email app to display them ever again.

My answer was to just use separate email apps for each carrier. One for Yahoo and another for Gmail. Some may not like doing that but I liked keeping them separate anyways. Helped me decide importance and if I wanted to read it then or not based on the notification.

Sent from OG EVO LTE with Android Central Forums

vroman1

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone have an answer to this? I too get [Cannot display this message] when receiving various emails from my AOL account, including from barackobama.com. Thank you.

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone have an answer to this? I too get [Cannot display this message] when receiving various emails from my AOL account, including from barackobama.com. Thank you.

Please insert "funny/racist/extremist/political/AOL sucks" joke (or Republican tirade) here.

As for the actual question, I don't know if anyone has an answer to that. If they did, they didn't bother to post it. Sorry.

HnLA

May 31, 2012
Visit site
What I have done is to add the Mail Droid app as a back up, to read certain emails that are not readable in the default email app.
While many complain that iOS requires fealty to Apple, in many ways Android requires using google things for optimal, if not tolerable, usage and performance.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech