Slingbox/SlingPlayer users...

ScottRx82

Dec 10, 2009
Visit site
Anyone having an issue with the screen not rotating? With my EVO 3D, I could use the app in any orientation, portrait or landscape on either side, and the picture would rotate appropriately. On the EVO LTE, the picture is fixed in landscape mode, but not on the side that allows the phone to be charged while using the kickstand. It's really not fun watching TV upside down when trying to use the kickstand and charge! I've played around with settings and can't find anything that I can do to change this. Other apps are auto-rotating with no issues. Anyone else here use this app and having the same problem??

ericj12

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
i dont have slingbox but ive been asking myself about the kickstand since i got the phone. why not just make it kick out the other way? why say that you can use the kickstand upside down so you can charge it at the same time? am i crazy? why not just make it so you can charge it when the kickstand is set up normally?

fkpalm

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
The kickstand was made that it can be used in either position the problem with sling is it needs to be updated.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

ScottRx82

Dec 10, 2009
Visit site
i dont have slingbox but ive been asking myself about the kickstand since i got the phone. why not just make it kick out the other way? why say that you can use the kickstand upside down so you can charge it at the same time? am i crazy? why not just make it so you can charge it when the kickstand is set up normally?

Agreed. I'm glad that it CAN be used that way but it should be built to be the standard, not the exception.

Sh3ngLong

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I've been using the SlingPlayer app on my OG EVO and now my EVO LTE and the screen never rotated for me. It was always fixed on one of the landscape orientation. I'm actually surprised to hear that the "any orientation" was implemented. I've always wondered when they were planning to implement that, and I guess it was always there... just not for every device.

I hope they release an update to address this issue and to support users with Slingbox PRO-HD and phones with 1280x720 resolution. On my ASUS tablet, I have both SlingPlayer versions -- SlingPlayer for Mobile and SlingPlayer for Tablet. When I watch my Slingbox using the "Tablet" version, the video quality is really great, it's like watching 720p videos. But with the "Mobile" version, the quality just looks okay -- it's grainy and text are hard to read. I'm assuming the mobile version is only spitting out standard def quality and stretching it on an HD screen. That's the same standard def quality I'm getting on my EVO LTE.

olsonn

May 11, 2010
Visit site
Like others, I didn't know orientation was an option, since it was "fixed/locked" on my OG Evo (I skipped the Evo 3D).

We know that Slingplayer Mobile isn't Android 4.0 compliant due to the Menu button popping up on the right side. I'm not sure that making it 4.0-compliant would be ideal - would the Menu tab just go up in the upper right corner? Would it still eat up screen space, or cover up part of the "TV" screen?

I'd like to see Slingplayer remove the Menu tab/button and make Menu options accessible by tapping on the screen. All other controls (channel inputs, aspect, etc.) are accessible this way, I don't see why Menu can't be, as well.

I'm onboard to push Sling to fix the rotation issue, too. Who can we contact?

ScottRx82

Dec 10, 2009
Visit site
Like others, I didn't know orientation was an option, since it was "fixed/locked" on my OG Evo (I skipped the Evo 3D).

We know that Slingplayer Mobile isn't Android 4.0 compliant due to the Menu button popping up on the right side. I'm not sure that making it 4.0-compliant would be ideal - would the Menu tab just go up in the upper right corner? Would it still eat up screen space, or cover up part of the "TV" screen?

I'd like to see Slingplayer remove the Menu tab/button and make Menu options accessible by tapping on the screen. All other controls (channel inputs, aspect, etc.) are accessible this way, I don't see why Menu can't be, as well.

I'm onboard to push Sling to fix the rotation issue, too. Who can we contact?

Yeah, my first experience with the mobile slingplayer app was with my 3D and it rotated smoothly so I assumed it was the standard. Not sure if it's gonna require an app update or what but I really hope it gets addressed.

Y2Dre

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I never had rotation on either the OG EVO or the EVO Design 4G. Didn't know I was supposed to be missing it. :D

Released from the EVO 4G LTE using Android Central Forums

Paulhbk

May 18, 2012
Visit site
I'm on board for this! It's frustrating not being able to use the kickstand if I'm charging. If sling doesn't put out an update then I hope a developer gets it done for us... By the way, if you're rooted, there is a mod to get rid of the three dot on-screen menu called "ALL H.O.E." It's awesome, look it up.

Last edited:

slayerpsp

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
I have sling player on dish network have no problems at all but it uses the dish app witch works great. The ipad app works even better. Evo Lte

Pace Racing

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
I didn't know that there was a slingplayer for tablets, so I went to the play store to check it out and found that I have to purchase it even though I've already purchased the phone version. It sucked that I had to purchase the app a second time when I went from windows mobile to android, but to have to purchase a slightly different version for my tablet is BS.

On a separate note, I've used slingplayer a lot less since I got directv because I use the RF remotes instead of IR, so I don't have a way to control the box from my slingplayer software. I've found a work around (when I'm on my home network) which is watching tv on my tablet, and using directdroid on my phone as a wifi remote. It actually works a lot better than the remote did in slingplayer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy