Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    CM10 Nightlies

Default Media Link. Worth it?

I was in a Sprint store the other day and was about the buy a Media Link. They had it for $90 which from what I've heard, is the normal price if not cheaper.

Here's my question.

What exactly can you stream with it? Absolutely anything on the phone? Or just certain content?

The reason I ask is because right now I already have an MHL adapter from my 3D and Plex which is pretty awesome and does a lot of what I need it to do.

So would this be worth it to buy?

Global Posts
    102 Global Posts

One word...yes. I've successfully streamed the following: mp3 files, photos, downloaded videos, videos taken from the camera, games, Slingbox streams and YouTube videos.

For me, the ability to stream wirelessly makes it so much easier to share content. Not to mention...the "wow" looks you get when you show it off!

Released from the EVO 4G LTE using Android Central Forums

I picked one up today had mhl for my 3d works great watched movie played a game and used netflix. Surfed Web and checked emails while watching a movie. 20% off if you purchase 2 accessories.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

ROM
    CM10 Nightlies

Default Re: Media Link. Worth it?

Thats what I'm gonna end up doing. Getting that and some screen protectors...

....NEXT billing cycle

Global Posts
    29 Global Posts

Verify the pricing??? I just paid $60 for it at a corporate store.

... Make that $65.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    102 Global Posts

The pricing varies depending on where you buy it. I'm pretty sure the standard price is $89.99. I actually caught a deal on Amazon around Mother's Day and only paid around $76 for mine.

At least I thought it was a deal...until I saw your $65.

Global Posts
    29 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Y2Dre View Post
    The pricing varies depending on where you buy it. I'm pretty sure the standard price is $89.99. I actually caught a deal on Amazon around Mother's Day and only paid around $76 for mine.

At least I thought it was a deal...until I saw your $65.

Sorry

I couldn't pass it up for that. Now if I could figure out why HTC Watch movies only stream two channel audio I'd be happy. Well, happy if it was full surround that is.

Global Posts
    78 Global Posts

So do you need this Media Link if you have a DLNA compliant TV? I remember when I had my E4GT I could use the Allshare app & stream everything to my TV. Pics, videos, music...

Quote Originally Posted by ItsMeCD View Post
    Verify the pricing??? I just paid $60 for it at a corporate store.

... Make that $65.

You sure you bought the WIRELESS media link or did you get the MEDIA DOCK. Two different things. The wireless media link is 89.99+tax and the media dock is 59.99+tax.

I have the media link (wireless) and for me it buffers watching any videos, also Hulu Plus dosent work with it.

Quote Originally Posted by evo64 View Post
    I have the media link (wireless) and for me it buffers watching any videos, also Hulu Plus dosent work with it.
    I also have the buffering problem with video, otherwise works great... anyone know what the issue is? Or is it a bad product?

First the specs on the box are more than a little misleading. It does not support DLNA, it does not support 1080p video and it does not support 5.1 channel audio, any AC3 audio tracks for that matter.

It only streams what the built in gallery app media player can play. 720p and AAC 2.0 audio in an mp4 file.

It attempts to mirror just about anything another app displays on the EVO's screen but again that is limited to 720p and stereo audio and cannot do that at full frame rate over the wireless link.

So, in short it cannot even do what the MHL adaptor already does. At least until the gallery app is updated or other apps get the API hooks to stream to it directly. Very limited use device for $90.

I tried it out a couple times for the two days I had it and it kept freezing up my Evo4GLTE. I also could not get sound to play from video once it did start working. Then after the media device was stopped it froze again for about 5 minutes before I could close it up. Long story short it went back and I received my full $90.00 refund

from Evo4GLTE on Android Central

Absolutely not worth it. I'm unable to do anything with it. HTC EVO 4G LTE

Global Posts
    53 Global Posts

Does it work for HBO GO?