1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Great phone, going to keep it, but...

I now know positively that the radio in this thing is pretty weak with its current baseband.

I had an OG Evo 4G sitting next to my brand spankin' new Evo 4G LTE and decided to do some speed tests. I reset both phones (ideally to get them both on the same set of towers), set the server manually to the same one and did a speed test using the SpeedTest.net app. Both phones showed 1 bar of signal but the OG Evo 4G continually pulled .8-1mbps down while my Evo 4G LTE would either not run the test at all due to network issues or get .15-.30mbps. I ran the tests simultaneously and repeated it about 7-8 times with similar results each time. Pings also varied quiet a bit. The OG Evo 4G would ping 120-250ms while the Evo 4G LTE would ping 270-670ms.

So in my own non-scientific conclusion, the OG Evo 4G radio currently trumphs the new Evo 4G LTE radio pretty hard. Ideally, HTC will push a hot-fix for both the cell radio and WiFi radio as my WiFi continuously drops out as well. I'm not returning the phone, but I definitely gained a little bit of respect for a device that has had its fair share of time to allow the manufacturer to fully develop and mature the radios.

ROM
    CM10 Nightlies

Default Re: Great phone, going to keep it, but...

I don't have that problem.

I ran multiple speed tests between the 4G LTE and my old 3D and I was always pulling about .6-.8 mbps on the LTE whereas I'd have between .4-.6 on the 3D (yeah. shotty coverage)

Have you tried updating PRL/Profile?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Yes, I've done both, I need to re-provision the device, only thing I haven't tried.

At my work, with my iPhone 4S I would consistently pull between 1.4-2.1mbps while now I'm sub .40mbps. I know it's the device, not the network where I am. The device even feels sluggish loading anything data related on anything but a full signal or WiFi.

LTE can't get here soon enough.

ROM
    CM10 Nightlies

Quote Originally Posted by sixtyin3 View Post

LTE can't get here soon enough.
    You got that right.

Though, I am near a wireless network enough that the 3G speeds havent bothered me. I was actually impressed. I was out in the boonies in the middle of the night and got lost. Pulled out my phone expecting it to not have any bars, and it didnt. But I was able to pull up Google Navigation and get directions within 10 seconds.

I know that's mostly location, but I digress

ROM
    tommytomato evo classic

U know there's a fix for the WiFi dropping in and out right? I've already posted it 3 times, so just search the forum for WiFi dropping. Pretty recent thread(s).

Sent from OG EVO LTE with Android Central Forums
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by Anthonicia View Post
    U know there's a fix for the WiFi dropping in and out right? I've already posted it 3 times, so just search the forum for WiFi dropping. Pretty recent thread(s).

Sent from OG EVO LTE with Android Central Forums
    If you're talking about adjusting changing from "Auto" to either 2.4ghz or 5ghz in advanced settings, I've tried all of that and it still didn't fix anything. Thanks though.

Quote Originally Posted by sixtyin3 View Post
    I now know positively that the radio in this thing is pretty weak with its current baseband.

I had an OG Evo 4G sitting next to my brand spankin' new Evo 4G LTE and decided to do some speed tests. I reset both phones (ideally to get them both on the same set of towers), set the server manually to the same one and did a speed test using the SpeedTest.net app. Both phones showed 1 bar of signal but the OG Evo 4G continually pulled .8-1mbps down while my Evo 4G LTE would either not run the test at all due to network issues or get .15-.30mbps. I ran the tests simultaneously and repeated it about 7-8 times with similar results each time. Pings also varied quiet a bit. The OG Evo 4G would ping 120-250ms while the Evo 4G LTE would ping 270-670ms.

So in my own non-scientific conclusion, the OG Evo 4G radio currently trumphs the new Evo 4G LTE radio pretty hard. Ideally, HTC will push a hot-fix for both the cell radio and WiFi radio as my WiFi continuously drops out as well. I'm not returning the phone, but I definitely gained a little bit of respect for a device that has had its fair share of time to allow the manufacturer to fully develop and mature the radios.
    I have ZERO issues with my EVO LTE radios even when compared to my Motorola Photon's awesome radios. Wifi and 3G are both working great on my EVO LTE.

I know one thing my new Evo4GLTE is much faster than my OG Evo. Ikove everything new south the Evo4GLTE and really pleased with Wiifi.

sent from my Evo4LTE

I had the same problems and got a replacement the wifi is fine now but the 3g data cuts out some times.