4th Generation (2013) HTC EVO

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Damn your hard headed. We don't have it currently in the us for the same reason I stated before. Quad cores will have LTE built in by the end of this year and will def be in our phones next year. What don't you understand? Quad core also helps battery life as well its not all raw power sucking your battery juice.

It's not just the number of cores. It's the node process (22nm, 28nm, 32nm, 45nm), combined with the software. Gingerbread wasn't optimized for dual-core units the way ICS is. That's a huge reason we get the better battery life with the ƎVO, vs. the average life I got on my E3D. I think that device will get better performance from the battery once the ICS update comes out this month.

But I do agree that the quads will have LTE built-in later this year or early next. Our issue here is that CDMA is prevalent here in the States but not so much everywhere else so we really are relegated to Qualcomm developing the technology for Sprint and Verizon. And that isn't a bad thing, but it is part of the equation.

Love Divine

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
S4 Pro Chipset (quad core krait + Adreno 320, at least). Some sort of quad core A15
LTE baked in, 800mhz band?
Bigger screen, perhaps 5"
12mp cam with improved optics
Jelly Bean, Sense 5
2GB RAM
16GB internal storage
Micro SD
720p, still SLCD2 most likely, perhaps SLCD 3?
Bigger battery, 2300-2500mah
About the same thickness

Won't be a huge jump. It's all about the pace the tech is moving at. Right now, doesn't look like any new screen improvements/major processor improvements will be out around that time. Phones coming out at the end of 2012/early 2013 will be the ones to catch the new wave of A15 procs. Sammy might have a leg up next year like they did with the S2 if they can stuff a quad core Exynos A15 and Mali 604 in their Galaxy S IV, along with SAMOLED+ HD.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
The question is, what else could HTC possibly add to the 4th gen 2013 EVO?

* More RAM.
* Induction charging.
* IR blaster & sensor (I have always wanted this, it is stupid they don't have it- cheap and easy!)
* Stereo speakers (to improve volume and spread, especially if one is covered).
* Even larger battery (you can never have too much).
* True electronic stylus compatibility. (Don't have to include stylus, not everyone wants it anyway).
* Sensor pack (ambient temp, humidity, barometric pressure)
* Just get rid of all the capacitive buttons- they are more of an annoyance now and steal screen space.
* A fully supported stock-android option.
* More internal storage (maybe 32GB with 24 avail).
* Larger lens/sensor. (More MP is useless).
* Why the hell do we STILL have no landscape mode on the home screens?
* USB Mass storage support on the internal memory.
* Will HTC *ever* fix the lockscreen so there is only ONE when you want to use security too?

Last edited:

jlo8720

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
in order of (my) need

1) better camera (ill lump video camera in here as well, specifically low light and high audio performance: read let me record live music.
2) longer battery (maybe 2500-3000 mah, depending on changes in processor/os consumption)
3) obviously the latest version of android tastefully paired with latest sense
4) new display technology that keeps "retina level density". I really like 4.7" size. 5 would be too much imo
5) newer adreno/gpu
6) slightly improved cpu that mirrors jump in technology by this "4th gen release"
7) wireless charging

kennethbring

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I feel like next year's EVO won't be the great leap forward we're expecting.

Since it's the only streamlined version, I'll use the iPhone as an example (sorry!)

They have a completely renovated version every two years. Every other year, they have a somewhat better, but not enough to upgrade version.

That is what the EVO line has done. 2010: The EVO 4G that blew everything away in its time. Then the 3D in 2011. Which was better, but not by a LOT. Now we have the 4g LTE which is a completely redesigned, and worthy successor to, the original EVO.

Yeah you've got the EVO View, and EVO Design and Shift. But those are not true EVO devices. They were never supposed to be. Just carrying the namesake.

I'm thinking next years will MAYBE have quad core, but performance wise, it won't be much better, if at all, than the 4GLTE.

No, THAT beast is coming in 2014.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
That is what the EVO line has done. 2010: The EVO 4G that blew everything away in its time. Then the 3D in 2011. Which was better, but not by a LOT.

That is totally wrong. The Evo 3D was a *LOT* "better"/more advanced than the Evo OG. I know, I have them both.

* More than double the CPU power
* Faster graphics
* More RAM
* Lots more storage
* Larger battery
* Higher resolution screen
* 3D screen and camera (like it or ignore it)
* Side charger + MHL port

The Evo 3G is about as different from the Evo OG as the Evo 3D is from the Evo LTE

kennethbring

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
That is totally wrong. The Evo 3D was a *LOT* "better"/more advanced than the Evo OG. I know, I have them both.

* More than double the CPU power
* Faster graphics
* More RAM
* Lots more storage
* Larger battery
* Higher resolution screen
* 3D screen and camera (like it or ignore it)
* Side charger + MHL port

The Evo 3G is about as different from the Evo OG as the Evo 3D is from the Evo LTE

Yes. But everywhere you look, the 3D was marketed as more of a gimmick, rather than a full on successor to the OG EVO. It didn't have the full on "True Successor" as this one does.

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Evo 3d is a good phone but it wasn't a game changer like the OG EVO

Sent from my Thrive using Android Central Forums

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Yes. But everywhere you look, the 3D was marketed as more of a gimmick, rather than a full on successor to the OG EVO.

That is because people were focused on the 3D screen/camera and not the rest of the phone. The 3D aspects did not detract at all from the functionality or use of the phone. It could simply be ignored. None of that changed all the other vast improvements.

It didn't have the full on "True Successor" as this one does.

Only in the minds of those focused on something that could easily have been ignored...

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Evo 3d is a good phone but it wasn't a game changer like the OG EVO

You are right. The Evo OG *was* a game changer- it was revolutionary. Perhaps in ways no other phone will ever be. Many firsts. First 4G, first kickstand, first Flash, huge screen, first Froyo phone, etc. It set the stage for much to come later.

The Evo 3D was an evolutionary change from the Evo OG. And the Evo LTE is an evolutionary change from the Evo 3D.

kennethbring

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
That is because people were focused on the 3D screen/camera and not the rest of the phone. The 3D aspects did not detract at all from the functionality or use of the phone. It could simply be ignored. None of that changed all the other vast improvements.

Only in the minds of those focused on something that could easily have been ignored...

The camera was a big upset in the 3D. Taking a shot in quality for a gimmick. Granted, that's not why I got the 3D, which is where I agree with you. But no one saw the 3D as the "upgrade" to the OG EVO.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Gary Friderichsohn

May 20, 2012
Visit site
Some have posted on this forum that the future will be one in which we come home, drop the phone into a dock, and it becomes the core of the home computer. IE, no more desktop. If that comes to pass I will prefer a quad-core. And much more RAM than what is current. And a processor that is as fast as possible. Today I want a much better DAC. Perhaps a Wolfson, but a Wolfson with at least 120db quieting and not the one with only 94db that I believe appears in the S3.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
The camera was a big upset in the 3D. Taking a shot in quality for a gimmick.

I found the camera in the 3D to be about the same as the OG. That was one of the very few areas not improved much.

Granted, that's not why I got the 3D, which is where I agree with you. But no one saw the 3D as the "upgrade" to the OG EVO.

That is because there are a lot of not-so-bright people out there (apparently)

geauxlsutigers

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Have you tried S Voice? It's a useless gimmick. Neither it nor Siri are anywhere near a useful feature. Of course, I'm sure it'll get there, they have Vlingo behind it and they're amazing. But right now, S Voice is just...meh.

Exactly, everyone I know with an iPhone 4S never uses Siri.

kmarx

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Slide out keyboard

---------- Post Merged at 06:05 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:05 PM ----------

Slide out keyboard

Va1ha11a

Troll Headhunter
Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Slide-out's make the phone fatter, harder for cases to stay attached, and easier to break (plus the all the previous flagship evos haven't had keyboards).