Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default 4th Generation (2013) HTC EVO

What an amazing phone HTC created this year with the EVO LTE! We got much much better battery life, a much better camera, the kickstand is back, beats audio, a bigger higher resolution screen, and NFC/Google Wallet.

This phone kicks iphone **** and no other phone comes close.

The question is, what else could HTC possibly add to the 4th gen 2013 EVO? This is pretty hard to think of. I honestly think 4.7" is the perfect screen size, don't need anymore processing power. Maybe more memory/cache on the cpu but thats not even worth mentioning. I guess a an even higher res camera but the difference can't be that noticeable on a mobile phone. Can't think of any major items to add.

List the features on your 2013 EVO wish list.

ROM
    CM10 Nightlies

Default Re: 4th Generation (2013) HTC EVO

5G LTE
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

lol. We'll be lucky if we see 4G LTE next year.
    Thanked by:

I would like to see LTE + quadcore (or hexacore if available), a 3000 mah battery, a full 1080p HD screen, better camera, 4 gigs of Ram, and Android Jelly Bean, all while keeping the same format factor.

Also, I'd like to see water proof (or water resistance) and maybe some new sensor.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums
    Zookeeper63 and Robynsnest like this.

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by corvette72778 View Post
    The question is, what else could HTC possibly add to the 4th gen 2013 EVO? List the features on your 2013 EVO wish list.
    For real? Sweet Jesus, we've only had it for a few days, most of us!

But if we're making a list, I'd like a jetpack.

Global Posts
    75 Global Posts

I honestly think my perfect phone would have a screen the same size but with a smaller overall phone size. The bezel can still be further eliminated. Hopefully the next Evo is just generally smaller and hopefully battery technology has progressed very well.

Hmm.. I think next year we can see an upgrade on glass tech as in cornings new flexi glass that maybe will introduce edge to edge hd hi res screen. The obvious quad core band with 2gigs of ram that can handle a nice bloaty sense UI. I'm sure I can go on but everyone else has said enough
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,930 Global Posts
    ROM
    What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by EVO28312 View Post
    Hmm.. I think next year we can see an upgrade on glass tech as in cornings new flexi glass that maybe will introduce edge to edge hd hi res screen. The obvious quad core band with 2gigs of ram that can handle a nice bloaty sense UI. I'm sure I can go on but everyone else has said enough
    We're going to need battery tech to catch up if we're going to have 2gig ram quad core LTE devices.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    Zookeeper63 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dmmarck View Post
    We're going to need battery tech to catch up if we're going to have 2gig ram quad core LTE devices.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    Yeah most definitely. But there has been some good progress this year ex: razor max and our current EVO. Also remember more cores can actually help battery life not necessarily kill it. I hope and think from this year on battery life will be more than tolerable. I use the hek out of my EVO and it lasts a million times longer than my e3d. But yes battery life def has to step there game up.
    dmmarck likes this.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

to the above comments,
    you want quad core but whats wrong with S4 snapdragon? What benefit will you get? I don't see a lot of benefit.
    3000mah battery? My EVO LTE battery is at 55% and the day is only halfway over. a 5000mah on the old evos wouldn't be enough but this years ICS/Sense have fixed the problem. Batterly life problems was software related.
    why would I want flexiglass? Its an interesting concept but whats the benefit?

1080p display would be nice but I don't see it as that big of a deal to upgrade.

the 2012 EVO was a huge difference over prior EVOs. No big ideas on this page. Just marginal.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,930 Global Posts
    ROM
    What do you think?

to the above comments,
    you want quad core but whats wrong with S4 snapdragon? What benefit will you get? I don't see a lot of benefit.
    3000mah battery? My EVO LTE battery is at 55% and the day is only halfway over. a 5000mah on the old evos wouldn't be enough but this years ICS/Sense have fixed the problem. Batterly life problems was software related.

1080p display would be nice but I don't see it as that big of a deal to upgrade.

the 2012 EVO was a huge difference over prior EVOs. No big ideas on this page. Just marginal.
    Well that's the S4 doing, but there can be no mistake that the evolution in battery technology is not nearly as drastic as the evolution in every other area. That's not a marginal idea by any stretch of the means; we should be seeing all day battery life running at full tilt, and you have to massage some things to even get close to that.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

I think the next enhancements that will make this phone worth upgrading will be with software related like what Sammy added with a Siri competitor. "smart stay" is a cool feature as well.
    delthor7 likes this.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,930 Global Posts
    ROM
    What do you think?

I think the next enhancements that will make this phone worth upgrading will be with software related like what Sammy added with a Siri competitor. "smart stay" is a cool feature as well.
    Have you tried S Voice? It's a useless gimmick. Neither it nor Siri are anywhere near a useful feature. Of course, I'm sure it'll get there, they have Vlingo behind it and they're amazing. But right now, S Voice is just...meh.

to the above comments,

Never said theres anything wrong with the s4!? In fact the current s4 beats out quad cores in most test. BUT its a fact that were moving towards quad core processors and the only reason why our evos aren't quad is because of LTE. Do we need quad cores ehh probably not since most apps don't take advantage of it Yet. As for cornings new willow glass technology that support thinner backplates and color filters for OLED and LED that is the future whether we you think we need it or want it. Sorry but we need more power specially for a skin like sense because as we all know its not as smooth as vanilla or touchwiz which I hate by the way and that's because its still heavy including 4.0. Like someone else pointed out battery life is still behind the game. Yes its better but we should have all day usage without worrying for a plug.
    dmmarck likes this.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,930 Global Posts
    ROM
    What do you think?

Never said theres anything wrong with the s4!? In fact the current s4 beats out quad cores in most test. BUT its a fact that were moving towards quad core processors and the only reason why our evos aren't quad is because of LTE. Do we need quad cores ehh probably not since most apps don't take advantage of it Yet. As for cornings new willow glass technology that support thinner backplates and color filters for OLED and LED that is the future whether we you think we need it or want it. Sorry but we need more power specially for a skin like sense because as we all know its not as smooth as vanilla or touchwiz which I hate by the way and that's because its still heavy including 4.0. Like someone else pointed out battery life is still behind the game. Yes its better but we should have all day usage without worrying for a plug.
    Exactly. You don't have quad core for a reason--the battery would literally be dead in an hour with quad core and a separate LTE processor running at full tilt. Without battery technology advancing rapidly, manufacturers are just going to cram bigger and bigger batteries in there. While it worked for the MAXX (which doesn't have a great processor, but it's also powering a fairly unsubstantial screen), it may not work for every device as the quad core wars really heat up.

Exactly. You don't have quad core for a reason--the battery would literally be dead in an hour with quad core and a separate LTE processor running at full tilt. Without battery technology advancing rapidly, manufacturers are just going to cram bigger and bigger batteries in there. While it worked for the MAXX (which doesn't have a great processor, but it's also powering a fairly unsubstantial screen), it may not work for every device as the quad core wars really heat up.
    Damn your hard headed. We don't have it currently in the us for the same reason I stated before. Quad cores will have LTE built in by the end of this year and will def be in our phones next year. What don't you understand? Quad core also helps battery life as well its not all raw power sucking your battery juice.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,930 Global Posts
    ROM
    What do you think?

Damn your hard headed. We don't have it currently in the us for the same reason I stated before. Quad cores will have LTE built in by the end of this year and will def be in our phones next year. What don't you understand? Quad core also helps battery life as well its not all raw power sucking your battery juice.
    ...that was rather unnecessary, and I'm not sure if you misunderstood my post or what. Regardless, I apologize.

You don't have quad cores b/c of LTE, correct. I'm not denying any of this. But they have to integrate LTE into the quad core chips first, or else they're going to have separate LTE processors along with the quad core chip. The separate LTE processor is what kills the battery. I'm assuming this will happen sooner than later, but that's one of the reasons right now--it's not integrated like the present S4 devices are.

I agreed with your post, hence I said exactly and liked it. I agree with everything you said and said nothing to contradict it. I especially liked it for the last sentences you said, because I was the one who said it. I wasn't arguing with you at all, merely adding that the technology for quad-core + LTE is not there yet, and part of that is the LTE processor being separate in current technologies, aside from the S4 devices.

I think a similarly sized device with a quad core, integrated LTE chip and 2-4gb of RAM would be reasonable, along with a massive battery (like Droid Maxx big), and 800mHz LTE, to keep them on the innovative side. I'd also like to see some more innovations in Sense next time. I'm happy they cleaned up a lot of crap in 4.0, but Samsung has some clever features that would be nice to see.

17nm manufacturing technology
    Holographic keyboard and display

...that was rather unnecessary, and I'm not sure if you misunderstood my post or what. Regardless, I apologize.

You don't have quad cores b/c of LTE, correct. I'm not denying any of this. But they have to integrate LTE into the quad core chips first, or else they're going to have separate LTE processors along with the quad core chip. The separate LTE processor is what kills the battery. I'm assuming this will happen sooner than later, but that's one of the reasons right now--it's not integrated like the present S4 devices are.

I agreed with your post, hence I said exactly and liked it. I agree with everything you said and said nothing to contradict it. I especially liked it for the last sentences you said, because I was the one who said it. I wasn't arguing with you at all, merely adding that the technology for quad-core + LTE is not there yet, and part of that is the LTE processor being separate in current technologies, aside from the S4 devices.
    Agree just wasn't sure if you understood my post.
    Thanked by:

ROM
    Stock

It's not just the number of cores. It's the node process (22nm, 28nm, 32nm, 45nm), combined with the software. Gingerbread wasn't optimized for dual-core units the way ICS is. That's a huge reason we get the better battery life with the ƎVO, vs. the average life I got on my E3D. I think that device will get better performance from the battery once the ICS update comes out this month.

But I do agree that the quads will have LTE built-in later this year or early next. Our issue here is that CDMA is prevalent here in the States but not so much everywhere else so we really are relegated to Qualcomm developing the technology for Sprint and Verizon. And that isn't a bad thing, but it is part of the equation.
    dmmarck likes this.

S4 Pro Chipset (quad core krait + Adreno 320, at least). Some sort of quad core A15
    LTE baked in, 800mhz band?
    Bigger screen, perhaps 5"
    12mp cam with improved optics
    Jelly Bean, Sense 5
    2GB RAM
    16GB internal storage
    Micro SD
    720p, still SLCD2 most likely, perhaps SLCD 3?
    Bigger battery, 2300-2500mah
    About the same thickness

Won't be a huge jump. It's all about the pace the tech is moving at. Right now, doesn't look like any new screen improvements/major processor improvements will be out around that time. Phones coming out at the end of 2012/early 2013 will be the ones to catch the new wave of A15 procs. Sammy might have a leg up next year like they did with the S2 if they can stuff a quad core Exynos A15 and Mali 604 in their Galaxy S IV, along with SAMOLED+ HD.
    Linux: The power beneath

Global Posts
    2,418 Global Posts

The question is, what else could HTC possibly add to the 4th gen 2013 EVO?
    * More RAM.
    * Induction charging.
    * IR blaster & sensor (I have always wanted this, it is stupid they don't have it- cheap and easy!)
    * Stereo speakers (to improve volume and spread, especially if one is covered).
    * Even larger battery (you can never have too much).
    * True electronic stylus compatibility. (Don't have to include stylus, not everyone wants it anyway).
    * Sensor pack (ambient temp, humidity, barometric pressure)
    * Just get rid of all the capacitive buttons- they are more of an annoyance now and steal screen space.
    * A fully supported stock-android option.
    * More internal storage (maybe 32GB with 24 avail).
    * Larger lens/sensor. (More MP is useless).
    * Why the hell do we STILL have no landscape mode on the home screens?
    * USB Mass storage support on the internal memory.
    * Will HTC *ever* fix the lockscreen so there is only ONE when you want to use security too?
    Last edited by crxssi; 06-06-2012 at 04:41 PM.
    Linux: The power beneath

Global Posts
    2,418 Global Posts

I see absolutely no point in a 1080p display on a < 5" device, personally.
    delthor7 and kennethbring like this.

in order of (my) need

1) better camera (ill lump video camera in here as well, specifically low light and high audio performance: read let me record live music.
    2) longer battery (maybe 2500-3000 mah, depending on changes in processor/os consumption)
    3) obviously the latest version of android tastefully paired with latest sense
    4) new display technology that keeps "retina level density". I really like 4.7" size. 5 would be too much imo
    5) newer adreno/gpu
    6) slightly improved cpu that mirrors jump in technology by this "4th gen release"
    7) wireless charging
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast