Sense rebooting randomly

p2cactus

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I get this every I've and a while. Doesn't seen to be any rhyme it reason. Sometimes it's the browser, sometimes it's an intense app. I hope HTC can find a way to fix this.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Starfleet Captain

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Me too! It's annoying! 11 days left HTC, or back you go and hello Galaxy S 3!

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

midmofan

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
search, here and google, is your friend. Many threads on this. Been a problem with sense for a while. Launchers like Nova solve as well rooting and tweaking or flashing a new rom

Complaints and comments on this this for over a year on various forums, so don't hold you breath on the 11 day deadline.

Csan508

May 12, 2012
Visit site
I am had that problem but I did a data reset and it works okay but I have heard that the main reason for this on sense 4 is because of the custum rom they had to use to get our phones past custums so I don't think there is much hope though :(

Starfleet Captain

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
search, here and google, is your friend. Many threads on this. Been a problem with sense for a while. Launchers like Nova solve as well rooting and tweaking or flashing a new rom

Complaints and comments on this this for over a year on various forums, so don't hold you breath on the 11 day deadline.

This was an issue on my EVO 3D and OG EVO, but it happened once every blue moon. It's happening to me on this phone several times a day.

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE using Android Central Forums

Cherenkov

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
It's a Sense issue (happened tons on my Shift). Other launchers do help the issue, but don't really fix it. Consider it HTC tax, it's the price you pay for an HTC phone. As others mentioned, the only real fix is to root it and either go Senseless or with a completely new rom. You might want to try Go Launcher EX. It helps.

FWIW, I haven't had the issue on this phone yet, but I've only had the phone a day...

marksr#AC

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Had that constantly (as did everyone else) after the GB upgrade last year on my EVO 4G, never happened on froyo, it got unbearable, as others have stated switching launchers (I used Go Launcher) helped.
On the new E4GLTE, haven't noticed at all in the last 2 weeks (has it been 2 weeks already?)- maybe once?, but certainly hasn't been a problem, I haven't even thought about using a different launcher.
(of course now that I've said it hasn't been a problem, I am sure it'll be rebooting all day long...)

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Happens occasionally (like 5 times since I've had my phone). Makes me wonder if we would see it more frequently if they weren't so aggressive on the whole multitasking issue...

Saneless

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
It's a Sense issue (happened tons on my Shift). Other launchers do help the issue, but don't really fix it. Consider it HTC tax, it's the price you pay for an HTC phone. As others mentioned, the only real fix is to root it and either go Senseless or with a completely new rom. You might want to try Go Launcher EX. It helps..
Rooting or a new rom isn't what's needed at all.

This is purely a launcher issue, and is 100% wrapped up in just how bloated and useless the Sense launcher is.

Sense 4 is bad enough in that it knocks down usable RAM to 680, which is sad, and then it makes multi-tasking weak so Sense's launcher doesn't have to reload as much.. and it seems like it's not even doing a good enough job at that.

Get Nova or Apex or Go or ANY other launcher. They're developed better, are leaner, have more features, and just make the overall android experience better. Sense is Launcher + other UI bits + lockscreen, and the LS and other UI bits are ok.. But the launcher has got to go and you'll be much happier using something else.

You'll never get launcher reloads and Android will just be a happier place if you stop using HTC's launcher (and Sense would be better if they didn't use something so massively memory hogging too).

bntran02

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I believe that is a RAM issue. But not really an issue at all as I think android is just clearing out background processes frequently due to the relatively low RAM. I noticed that it occurred often when my available memory was below ~75MB. I switched to Apex and had the same issue still.

Then i went back and disabled things like live wallpapers, crazy widgets, crazy lock screens, etc... and the issue has disappeared completely.I haven't switched back to Sense because I have found very little in Sense 4.0 that I actually care about

jamesbecker79

Banned
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
It's really bad with this phone. I had a rezound and the same thing happened on ICS Roms. I'm wondering if it's something with how sense plays with ICS.

Does anyone know if the other one series devices have this issue?

k000

May 12, 2012
Visit site
Yes, for what its worth I was not having this issue as well as random wireless drops on old phone (evo LTE only)... I replaced it due to camera issues. Now camera is better but WiFi drops and sense crashes

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Starfleet Captain

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I too think its a Ram issue. I wod rather deal with the broken multitasking rather than Sense constantly reloading. I will try removing some widgets and see if that helps things.

fkpalm

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I fixed it by installing nova launcher and not going back this launcher rocks

Shawn Freeman

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
So i read on a couple resources and seem to have resolved so I'll tell everyone.

My problem was I had "Don't Keep Activities" checked in the developer options. What this does is destroy every activity once you leave. An activity is usually any screen/new screen you see pop up to perform some kind of action. So once you leave the home screen it destroys it and you must reload it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy