WiFi disconnects in sleep

cyanidegatorade

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Have any of you had the "obtaining ip address" problem?

My wifi sometimes d/c's when I go to sleep and wake up to find that my phone has this problem.

It's on stock ICS software.

Cyrene

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
This only happens for me after 1200 at night. If I'm not mistaken wasn't this an original problem since the beginning?

Yes, as a matter of fact, I realized yesterday that it only happens after midnight. This is annoying to me because I am up during the middle of the night. The links for the apps that seemed to be helpful for some no longer work.

Sent from my EVO LTE using Tapatalk 2

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
Looks like after the last update, the WiFi still stays connected in sleep (doesn't have to re-acquire). However the problems with WiFi and/or network and/or something stopping during screen timeout (sleeping) is apparent. I can have 12 software updates in Play, tell it to update and walk away... phone turns off screen in 60 seconds or something. I look at the phone 30 minutes later and it was frozen at the 6th app update. It will resume shortly, and without failing, but I don't understand why it doesn't continue in the background.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Looks like after the last update, the WiFi still stays connected in sleep (doesn't have to re-acquire). However the problems with WiFi and/or network and/or something stopping during screen timeout (sleeping) is apparent. I can have 12 software updates in Play, tell it to update and walk away... phone turns off screen in 60 seconds or something. I look at the phone 30 minutes later and it was frozen at the 6th app update. It will resume shortly, and without failing, but I don't understand why it doesn't continue in the background.

Let me add that I just tested leaving the Evo LTE alone for hours, then attempted to ping it. It took 2.3 seconds to get the first ping, then 1.3 seconds for the second ping, then it looked normal. So this does prove the WiFi is still on and connected and in contact and Android is still monitoring and servicing the network, even when sleeping. Doesn't do much to explain the behavior, above, but certainly worth mentioning.

zzz8

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
This is a design flaw in Android 4.x. All Android 4.x phones have the same problem. It's a design flaw because even Google Play suffer from this problem (when downloading app/update).

You can install "WIFI High Performance Widget" from Play Store as workaround.

Workaround:
Workaround for Wifi Performance when Screen is | Galaxy Nexus > XDA

Quote from the workaround: There was a change in API 12 (Honeycomb and later) with the way "wifi lock" is handled. Even if the sleep policy in settings->wifi->advanced->"Keep wifi on during sleep" is set to "always", wifi will still be in a "low performance mode". This results in throttled speed (f.e: stuttering streaming), high latency (ping your phone) and can even cause disconnects, when the screen is off.

And issue 26654:
Issue 26654 - android - Google Galaxy Nexus audio streaming interrupts / stops over WiFi + slow download speeds when screen locks. - Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project - Google Project Hosting

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
You can install "WIFI High Performance Widget" from Play Store as workaround.

I performed the ping test while sleep and awake and there is no difference in performance. Installed the "WIFI High Performance Widget" and that didn't make any difference either. I will keep testing, maybe it still does something with big downloads. Thanks

dirtysleep

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
Just to add to the topic. I think I have the very same "issue" like crxssi reported in the initial post.

I have discovered that while listening to streaming music on various apps - Winamp, Google Play Music etc. After my telephone goes in sleep, some 30 seconds after that the streaming stops. When I wake up the telephone, streamings starts again. No need to explain how annoying is that as I have to keep my phone up in order to be able to listen to the streaming music using the WIFI.

Here comes the summary:

- HTC ONE S upgraded to Android 4.1.1
- "Keep WIFI on during sleep" is turned ON but makes absolutely no difference (while this should be resolving the problem, though)
- WIFI connection is not dropping while in sleep and then re connecting, it only stops the service and then resumes
- Issue happens only when using WIFI
- Issue not happens when using 3G mobile Internet
- Issue happens on various apps (it is not app dependant)
- Issue has nothing to do with the type of the wireless router nor with the wireless channel (if anyone tells that this makes total non sense)

My personal opinion is that this is mainly linked with a software bug with "Keep WIFI on during sleep" as this is the thing that should be making the magical trick. Other possibility is this to be badly managed by the internal power saver manager of the telephone, something that I could not manage to find where can be tweaked.

I will be more than happy to hear a good explanation to the problem and to find a real good solution, not walk arounds or bypassers or 3rd party software that masks the problem.

Bruno Prado

Feb 19, 2016
Visit site
Using Asus Zenfone 2 (Android 5), the problem still occurs.
Surprisingly, my other devices (S3, S2, Moto G2) didn't have this problem.
Has anyone come up with the solution?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non