Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Global Posts
    1,038 Global Posts
    ROM
    100% AOSP/AOKP wanted.

Default Re: Screen Flicker evo 4g lte

I noticed flicker in the grey 'loading' screen in the market. But I didn't notice it in the grey gmail app...hmm....?

(Sometimes I wish I was oblivious to details so I wouldn't notice these issues.)

I dont know if this will help, but I had minor screen flickering and I just did a factory reset and it seemed to help. I dont know if Im going crazy or not. I know doing a factory reset is a pain in the arse, but it might be worth a shot.

Global Posts
    1,038 Global Posts
    ROM
    100% AOSP/AOKP wanted.

I haven't noticed the flickering much today, but I see the light leak all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by dreamliner View Post
    I haven't noticed the flickering much today, but I see the light leak all the time.
    Do you have a picture of the light leak? What part of the phone?

Global Posts
    1,038 Global Posts
    ROM
    100% AOSP/AOKP wanted.

This sucks.

The more I play with this phone, the more I realize all the little glitches from the original EVO carried over to this phone.
    Yikes.
    Last edited by dreamliner; 07-06-2012 at 10:17 PM.

Holy moly! Send it back and exchange it. I feel bad for you. I really hope they exchange it.

Global Posts
    1,038 Global Posts
    ROM
    100% AOSP/AOKP wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by RyDawgBoston View Post
    Holy moly! Send it back and exchange it. I feel bad for you. I really hope they exchange it.
    They will. I've already emailed that photo to the store manager. Believe me...I know how to cause a ruckus.

Global Posts
    404 Global Posts

Yikes.
    Definitely yikes. Yesterday I noticed one of my friends has light leaks like crazy from her old Motorola (it was a lot worse than the OG Evo), so I looked at my phone and tried to find it, and didn't find any on mine.

Here's what mine looks like.

Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock, latest version

My first EVO 4G LTE had a screen flicker issue and it was driving me crazy. I had the same issues described in this post. It only does it on solid grays, like in the empty boxes in the market, in the background of dialog boxes and in the task switcher.

I exchanged it, and my second unit still had a screen flicker. It wasn't as bad (my first phone gave me a headache if I stared at it long enough) but was still present.

Yesterday I was using my phone non-stop for most of the day (love the battery life btw) and looked at the battery stats and the screen was on for about 4 hours. I noticed at the end of the night that the screen flicker was pretty much non existent. I looked closely this morning and and it still wasn't flickering.

Maybe the screen has to be "broken in?" Possibly it is just the nature of Super LCD screen technology?

I put in a support request to HTC to get it repaired, but I think I'm not going to send it in. It looks fine to me right now.

EDIT: Nevermind, flickering is back. Sending my phone to HTC. Grrr.
    Last edited by njlx016; 09-04-2012 at 11:48 AM.

Yep mine too. Noticed it on a few occasions. Usually most noticeable during games. Had to have been something with the update because I had no flicker before hand. I'll take a little flicker with the much improved data signal and I'm sure they'll address it in the next ota. Just noticed its really bad on the unlock screen. Almost a constant flicker ok UPDATE......decided to try and make some adjustments. I changed my lock screen and theme and flicker is gone. Makes no sense to me but it worked

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums
    Last edited by cuffs50; 09-04-2012 at 01:51 PM.

Geez flicker is back and worse than ever. Screen goes completely black at times. Phone is a couple months old. Any suggestions on what I can do. Def don't want to just live with it. At times it makes the screen very dim and what good is the amazing screen if its not working to its full potential. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have insurance but I don't think I should have to go that route. Phone is practically brand new and has been in an otterbox defender since it left the store. I've taken the case off to make sure its not affecting the sensors and it makes no difference.

Perhaps you have your screen brightness set on "auto" and your thumb doesn't know where the sensor is located.

Sent from my Asus Nexus 7 tablet.

Ahh come on now gimme more credit than that. I always keep it on the brightest setting.

My phone started doing this within the past week. I haven't changed anything that I know of. I'm also running CM10. Also Google Wallet says it's not supported anymore after the latest update

Hmm. If its a software thing they need to fix it asap. Definitely not willing to wait months for another ota to roll out.

Screen finally went completely black on me. decided I'd had enough. Took it into the sprint store. The tech guy played around with it and finally got the screen to come on but experienced the horrible flicker and dimming. After about 5 mins he told me he'd have me a new phone tomorrow.

Global Posts
    97 Global Posts

I noticed flicker in the grey 'loading' screen in the market. But I didn't notice it in the grey gmail app...hmm....?

(Sometimes I wish I was oblivious to details so I wouldn't notice these issues.)
    I think some people's eyes are a bit more sensitive with the flicker. I've owned two ELTE's and both have the same issue you described in the market. On about 3-4 different occasions that I've been near a Sprint store I've gone to check out their demo unit and they've all had the same issue.

I'm sure you haven't seen it to this extreme. I would liken it to a strobe almost. Never noticed it til after the recent update but didn't see any other complaints so didn't attribute it to that.

ROM
    CM10 (Deck) 10/29

I also notice a seldom flicker, but in cm10. Gotta believe it's a software thing because of thread like this: <TEMP FIX>Possible for screen flicker in cm10/AOKP roms. - xda-developers

Edit: After some more reading, I'm almost certain it's a software issue. Almost all aosp/cm10 builds for any phone will have it - if this post has any truth to it... http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...62&postcount=6
    Last edited by acromack; 09-17-2012 at 09:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jmogha View Post
    My screen has a harsh but very brief screen flicker at random times. I think I've noticed it most when I'm switching between apps. Could it have something to do with apps being terminated? I also think it happens more often when I'm texting someone.
    Do you use Swift Key? I do and occasionally it will flicker, I believe its the integration of the 3rd party key board over the stock board.

I JUST had this problem. My entire screen just suddenly started flickering wildly. It was like it was being "touched" and the touch screen was going wild or the light sensor was noisy and trying to auto-adjust the brightness. In fact I thought it might have been a protective cover or hair or something on the touch screen causing it to fire rapidly. So I took off the protective case and cleaned the screen. But this did not stop it. I powered off and restarted - no luck. This morning I woke up and it was still doing it. So of course JUST as I go to walk out of the door to take it to the Sprint Shop for evaulation and hopefully a new phone it suddenly auto detects that there's a problem. The phone started flashing the power light on and off (green) then rebooted and repowered itself and it cleared the problem. And as timing would have it an hr later I got a notice that there was a new system download update - which I installed.

Possessed, design problem or virus and bugs? I run a lot of different apps and can't now imagine having to reinstall all that I have if I get a new phone. I got too much time invested in setting this thing up the way I want it. Should all be under warranty still and I have the all inclusive lost/broken plan too. Now I am paranoid its going to start acting up on me randomly with the hard to find intermittent class of problem. Anyone konw if there's a system log file under the hood that traces back what spurious interrupts or HW anomalies the phone might be responding to?

Most of you are experiencing all the same things I have. This intermittent flickering, sometimes even going black. After a couple factory resets I believe its hardware issue. Mine got so bad one day, that as I was typing every time my finger landed on the screen it would dim just a bit. I then decided to push on the screen with just a small amount of pressure and was able to make the screen go from just dim to completely black, depending on how hard I pressed (I wouldn't say that Im every putting such a large amount pressure that I would be severely damaging its components) Its more sensitive the lower you go on the screen. I then found that I could produce the same results by holding the phone by the edges and pushing on with one finger on the back lower portion of the phone.

I sent it in for repair to HTC and got it back today. Nothing has changed. HTC allows you to track the progress of the repair. In one day, Fedex delivered my phone, they repaired it, and shipped it back out. all within 5 hours! After calling them today, there was no repair notes in their system, and I was told that if they receive a phone and nothing appears to be wrong with it that they will email you telling you so.

I have another repair ticket in the system and have yet to decide if I want to pay to send it back to them, just to get the same results. I was told that HTC will only replace a unit in extreme cases. So getting a new phone under warranty isn't going to happen. So the answer for me may just be to tap lightly. I encourage some of you to try this screen touch pressure idea to see if you can produce the same results.

Here is a video of how my phone is acting at this moment. Not as sensitive as before, but that could all change by tomorrow.

Just moments after making that first video, I set the phone down and walk away for about 10 min, come back hit the power button to wake it up and this is how its acting! UNBELIEVABLE!!!
    Last edited by Bo James; 11-08-2012 at 04:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Magman007 View Post
    Do you use Swift Key? I do and occasionally it will flicker, I believe its the integration of the 3rd party key board over the stock board.
    I get a very, very quick flickers when sending a text message with Swift Key. I am going to try using Swype, then stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Bo James View Post
    Most of you are experiencing all the same things I have. This intermittent flickering, sometimes even going black. After a couple factory resets I believe its hardware issue. Mine got so bad one day, that as I was typing every time my finger landed on the screen it would dim just a bit. I then decided to push on the screen with just a small amount of pressure and was able to make the screen go from just dim to completely black, depending on how hard I pressed (I wouldn't say that Im every putting such a large amount pressure that I would be severely damaging its components) Its more sensitive the lower you go on the screen. I then found that I could produce the same results by holding the phone by the edges and pushing on with one finger on the back lower portion of the phone.

I sent it in for repair to HTC and got it back today. Nothing has changed. HTC allows you to track the progress of the repair. In one day, Fedex delivered my phone, they repaired it, and shipped it back out. all within 5 hours! After calling them today, there was no repair notes in their system, and I was told that if they receive a phone and nothing appears to be wrong with it that they will email you telling you so.

I have another repair ticket in the system and have yet to decide if I want to pay to send it back to them, just to get the same results. I was told that HTC will only replace a unit in extreme cases. So getting a new phone under warranty isn't going to happen. So the answer for me may just be to tap lightly. I encourage some of you to try this screen touch pressure idea to see if you can produce the same results.

Here is a video of how my phone is acting at this moment. Not as sensitive as before, but that could all change by tomorrow.

Just moments after making that first video, I set the phone down and walk away for about 10 min, come back hit the power button to wake it up and this is how its acting! UNBELIEVABLE!!!
    WOW! not the flicker I get. mine is barely noticeable. More like a flash.

Quote Originally Posted by downsouth11 View Post
    WOW! not the flicker I get. mine is barely noticeable. More like a flash.
    Mine was more of a flicker weeks ago. I was using Swift too, then went back to stock. Same problems.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast