Dumbest Question Yet: how do you move the icons around

yakfshr1

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
coming from a palm pre so bear with me. that phone was easy to manuerver. how can i add more icons to the main screen and how do i remove the ones already there to somewhere else. I want to put the apps ones i downloaded on the main screen. i know the five at the bottom are not movable? and i don't mind them there. it's the one above it..

solo1

May 31, 2010
Visit site
1)
To add apps to a screen you can either go to the apps drawer and long press the the app OR you can long press the screen you want to add to and you will have the option to either add Widgets, Apps, or Shortcuts.

2)
To move apps around once they are on your screen just long press the app where you would like it to go ... If you want them on a different screen just slide them to the edge of the screen to move between the left and right screens.

3)
To remove apps from screen, long press the app and slide it to the upper right hand corner marked "remove".

4)
To QUICKLY unistall an app, go to app drawer ... Long press on the app ... Then drag to the upper left marked "uninstall".

Last edited:
Reactions: yakfshr1

DougB541#CB

May 15, 2010
Visit site
coming from a palm pre so bear with me. that phone was easy to manuerver. how can i add more icons to the main screen and how do i remove the ones already there to somewhere else. I want to put the apps ones i downloaded on the main screen. i know the five at the bottom are not movable? and i don't mind them there. it's the one above it..

You can move all of them. Just like the Palm Pre just hold down the app, and you can move them onto whatever homescreen.

if you want ot remove them drag them to the top where it says "Remove"

Hope that helps.

Reactions: yakfshr1

tacrites

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
I have apps in folders that I would like to rearrange. Currently apps are arranged in the order they are added to the folder.

On my Motorola Droid when I long press an icon I get pop up dialog that asks if I want to "Move to home" or "Remove from folder". I don't seem to have the option to drag them around the screen.

Glenn

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I have apps in folders that I would like to rearrange. Currently apps are arranged in the order they are added to the folder.

On my Motorola Droid when I long press an icon I get pop up dialog that asks if I want to "Move to home" or "Remove from folder". I don't seem to have the option to drag them around the screen.

Umm... you simply press on an icon, hold, and move your finger to the desired location within the folder...

See this screenshot below? That's me slightly moving the "evite" app.
nl8j81.png

ginglish

May 25, 2011
Visit site
A Tip. If you need to move an App Icon to another screen, long press and hold the icon then with your other hand you can scroll the screens under it until you get to the right one. Works better then dragging to the screen edge.

Bioman50

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
1)
To add apps to a screen you can either go to the apps drawer and long press the the app OR you can long press the screen you want to add to and you will have the option to either add Widgets, Apps, or Shortcuts.

2)
To move apps around once they are on your screen just long press the app where you would like it to go ... If you want them on a different screen just slide them to the edge of the screen to move between the left and right screens.

3)
To remove apps from screen, long press the app and slide it to the upper right hand corner marked "remove".

4)
To QUICKLY unistall an app, go to app drawer ... Long press on the app ... Then drag to the upper left marked "uninstall".

What do you mean "long press where you want it to go? How does the S3 know which app you are trying to move? Can you be more specific?

koam

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
that was poorly written. you long press the app you want to move and drag it to where you want it to go.

axllebeer

Trusted Member
Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
A Tip. If you need to move an App Icon to another screen, long press and hold the icon then with your other hand you can scroll the screens under it until you get to the right one. Works better then dragging to the screen edge.

Thanks for this. I didn't know one could it that way. A TON easier!

dcodding

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
It is so sad that people find it necessary to make others feel less than intelligent because they ask a simple question...which, by the way, is not covered in the little pamphlet that came with the phone. Just saying...

Thank you to the original person who asked, as I had the same question and those of you on this forum who offered information instead of intimidation are to be commended.