7 days and this EVO LTE is going back!

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Is it as good as WebOS? No, is it as good as stock? No, but it's there i do one task do another and return back to the same spot i was at in the first. go grab an idevice running anything below what 3.0? to see what NOT having multitasking really is.

Well...I have to say....nice video response....lol. Saw it refreshing the forum app...but the text stayed or came back. Thats not too bad.

Again...nice video response.

PhyscoAssassinX

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
@Psycho: Lighten up Francis :D (again, Google if you don't get the reference ;))

@kbp08tlsLol good one

Well...I have to say....nice video response....lol. Saw it refreshing the forum app...but the text stayed or came back. Thats not too bad.

@kbp08tls & jroc I agree with you the problem is not as extreme as people making it seem but it isn't flawless either and my video shows that yes out refreshes but you see the text was there.

@crxssi I understand if it didn't work for you ok you want to inform the community but I am also informing the community that's working fine for others, if you want to prove you point throw up a video too where you're writing a text message text goes away as soon add you press home and go right back to it cause I've yet to see someone show me it. make a video of you downloading a file via browser and it canceling as soon as you hit home. Syrup trying to prove me wrong our prove me as a troll and help the community:p

P.s. Am I the only one who find it ironic how the Android a-z word is multitasking?

Jerry are you watching us?:what:

Sent from my HTC .....oh wait its stuck at customs

AppleR112

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
PhyscoAssassinX

Thank you for the video... I now know what multitasking is..... LOL With my OG Evo, I would exit out of an app and open another, to then come back to the original.... What a goof! With your video, I realized what the "Recent App" button is used for.

I tried everything you did - texting, browsing, games, etc, without closing any of them, and, when=i hit the "Recent App' button, EUREKA, everything was where I left it. No reload.

Guess I was lucky receiving my pre-order directly from Sprint on May 24.... Hardware Version 0003; Software version1.13.651.1 710RD

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
... if you want to prove you point throw up a video too where you're writing a text message text goes away as soon add you press home and go right back to it cause I've yet to see someone show me it. make a video of you downloading a file via browser and it canceling as soon as you hit home. Syrup trying to prove me wrong our prove me as a troll and help the community

You're missing a few things here. You are coming off as ridiculously belligerent to people who are having issues with the multitasking on this device, calling them liars and such. Nobody was calling you a liar when you said you didn't have those issues, even before you posted your video, which was nice by the way. And for the record, I'm one of the guys who doesn't have much of an issue at all. And then to accuse people who don't agree with you of being HTC-haters? And then the standard dis of 'if you don't like it, get the iPhone'.

For the record, you are technically correct: multitasking works on this phone, in the sense that it does it. I don't know that I believe anyone said it didn't work at all, though. It certainly isn't the same multitasking as other devices, even other HTC devices. But this isn't news. It shouldn't be news to the people on this thread who have a couple hundred posts under their belts and have posted surprise and regret on the state of Sense and multitasking. But it shouldn't surprise you that people have a problem with it. This is the Nerd Herd after all. We nit-pick by our nature and this is where we do it. To expect everyone to post a video of an issue that was identified long before any of us bought the device isn't realistic, practical or even necessary. Jerry discussed it in depth several weeks ago in two front-page articles and also during the podcast that week: multitasking isn't broken, but it's different.

http://www.androidcentral.com/multitasking-htc-one-x-isnt-broken-its-customized

And it was summed up best in the podcast: This isn't Android; it's HTC's version of Android. It's called Sense. If you buy an HTC phone, that is what you get.

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
It doesn't matter if the behavior is acceptable in certain situations, or how often apps reload etc. It's common enough for a lot of people and HTC have acknowledged it, and said its by design. If you care to look in the XDA threads there's enough technical information on why this happens (different minfree values, Sense uses a lot of resources, and thus apps are killed more often).

When people talk about multitasking on Android, they expect it to work the same way a phone from 2 years ago with 1/3 the resources would work - i.e. the app reloading problem never happens for most people in their daily use.

On such a high end phone, we shouldn't even have this problem. The fact that it even happens is enough to cause concern.

Starfleet Captain

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Even though the multitasking bugs me, it's not as annoying as the Sense reloads. If I spend more than 5 min reading Android Central' desktop version of the home Page(using Chrome or the stock browser) and switch back home, there is a 75% (my estimate) that Sense reloads. If I play 4 rounds of Temple Run (which, for some reason, lags a lot more than it did on the Evo 3D. Why?) there is about a 50% chance that Sense will reload when I return to the home screen. Also when I go to Settings and kill Google Wallet after waiting 20 minutes (for the 20th time) for it to add the prepaid card, there is also a 50% chance that Sense will Reload.

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE using Android Central Forums

PhyscoAssassinX

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
lol oh man i feel like i have to explain the same thing over and over, my response was to the comment that i read where one individual said there is no multitasking and the other person who said as soon as he left the browser the download cancelled due to the multitasking and the other person who said messages deleted as soon as he left the text message see the two people who said it happened as soon as they left now 5 minutes later not after openeing a 2nd app but as soon as they left that's what im finding hard to believe and i would like to see it everyone always says Pic or it didn't happen well im asking for proof of this happening every time you leave the browser/text.

calvin35

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
It doesn't matter if the behavior is acceptable in certain situations, or how often apps reload etc. It's common enough for a lot of people and HTC have acknowledged it, and said its by design. If you care to look in the XDA threads there's enough technical information on why this happens (different minfree values, Sense uses a lot of resources, and thus apps are killed more often).

When people talk about multitasking on Android, they expect it to work the same way a phone from 2 years ago with 1/3 the resources would work - i.e. the app reloading problem never happens for most people in their daily use.

On such a high end phone, we shouldn't even have this problem. The fact that it even happens is enough to cause concern.

One of the best posts of the day. I had a One X that was absolutely awfully regarding multitasking. HTC is heading down a slippery slope with the way they are altering the functionality of Android. I could root and ROM but I refuse to support them strictly on principle.

calvin35

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
lol oh man i feel like i have to explain the same thing over and over, my response was to the comment that i read where one individual said there is no multitasking and the other person who said as soon as he left the browser the download cancelled due to the multitasking and the other person who said messages deleted as soon as he left the text message see the two people who said it happened as soon as they left now 5 minutes later not after openeing a 2nd app but as soon as they left that's what im finding hard to believe and i would like to see it everyone always says Pic or it didn't happen well im asking for proof of this happening every time you leave the browser/text.

Sense itself isn't reloading, the Sense launcher is reloading. It killed itself in in the background...... I think.

johnshaft

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
I was just on the phone and was pulling up a Web Page on the Internet. No issues so far. Just waiting for LTE. Keep in mind I was on the phone at home and with my Wi-Fi network on I was able to do this. Will have to see

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Even though the multitasking bugs me, it's not as annoying as the Sense reloads. If I spend more than 5 min reading Android Central' desktop version of the home Page(using Chrome or the stock browser) and switch back home, there is a 75% (my estimate) that Sense reloads. If I play 4 rounds of Temple Run (which, for some reason, lags a lot more than it did on the Evo 3D. Why?) there is about a 50% chance that Sense will reload when I return to the home screen. Also when I go to Settings and kill Google Wallet after waiting 20 minutes (for the 20th time) for it to add the prepaid card, there is also a 50% chance that Sense will Reload.

I can understand how that is frustrating. I don't have that issue. Not once, actually. For the record, I use the stock browser and Chrome rarely, but mostly Dolphin. I know the issue w/ contact pics was bothering you as well. I wonder if that's an app/ICS issue? I know I lose the keyboard arrow keys when I'm in Dolphin because of the HUGE menu bar, but hopefully with some ICS app and HTC updates it all gets fixed.

Anthonicia

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Awww, nerd herd is afraid to root. Isn't that cute... Just off pwinciple. That's cute.

No really, it is.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Starfleet Captain

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Yes, it's very frustrating! Tell you what, I'm going to perform a factory reset tonight to see if that helps things. This time, instead of simply loading all of my favorite apps back on the device, I will use caution to see if a specific app is causing the problem.

icenija

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Yes, it's very frustrating! Tell you what, I'm going to perform a factory reset tonight to see if that helps things. This time, instead of simply loading all of my favorite apps back on the device, I will use caution to see if a specific app is causing the problem.

Wow a sensible answer with a reasonable solution to try. Congrats to you for responding as an adult so can the rest of us give the bickering a break and try and help each other?

Ice

PhyscoAssassinX

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site

I would suggest first loading known apps from my personal experience known apps have caused less problems then random apps I.E. on my evo 4G/3D apps like dolphin have never caused a problem vs a few other Web browsers that just hogged up resources (battery, ram).

my HTC .....oh wait its stuck at customs

Saneless

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
So, apparently Best Buy's return policy only amounts to your 200 bucks after 14 days, not your upgrade? Ugh. Looks like I'm going to have to sell off this hunk of and go back to the 3D. Anyone know if the fat lady at BB who fed me that line is full of it?

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
So, apparently Best Buy's return policy only amounts to your 200 bucks after 14 days, not your upgrade? Ugh. Looks like I'm going to have to sell off this hunk of and go back to the 3D. Anyone know if the fat lady at BB who fed me that line is full of it?

The BB return policy is 30 days (45 for Reward Zone), but Sprint only reinstates your upgrade eligibility within the first 14 days. There are a few states where it's different because of state law, and they have to give you 30 days on the Sprint side as well, but 14 days is the Sprint policy now.

Have you called Sprint to butter them up yet?

Saneless

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Hah, not yet. But now my options are keep it and hope for a miracle (not going to happen), sell it, or trade it in for a Galaxy Nexus..

But how do they do trades if I already upgraded? Technically the nexus and EVO would have been the same pre-upgrade, but now I"m basically returning a phone for 200 and I wouldn't be eligible for an upgrade, unless they see them both as 200.

Although the lady made it sound like I could get the Galaxy S3 if it was there within 30 days (the 21st will be about 27 days into my 30).