1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Evo 4G LTE car's usb port/bluetooth connectivity issues. Please h

So I just recently upgraded from an Evo 3D to the Evo 4g LTE, and the phone is gorgeous and all, but I've lost a major feature and it is scaring the hell out of me, I hope you guys can help:

Intro to my problem:
    I have a 2012 Prius V, which has built in Bluetooth and an USB port. My Evo 3D lacked the right level of bluetooth AVRCP profile needed in order to display track names, artwork, etc, on my Prius Nav screen through bluetooth. So to work around that, I would plug in my Evo 3D into the Prius's USB port, then I would select "Disk drive/USB mass storage mode" on the phone and voila! My car saw all my music, complete with track names, album artwork, etc.

My main problem:
    All of my music is in my 16GB MicroSD card, so I figured just putting it into my new LTE Evo would suffice...but it didnt. When I plug in my LTE Evo, the "Disk drive/USB mass storage mode" NO LONGER triggers my car detecting it. I noticed a new option, called "Media Sync." Selecting that WILL trigger my car dectecting the phone storage, but it ONLY detects the BUILT IN phone storage, not what's on my MicroSD card.

What's even worse...
    Also, if you are wondering, the LTE Evo, despite having Bluetooth 4.0, STILL DOES NOT have the right level of AVRCP needed to display album artwork and track names over bluetooth. I was very, extremely disappointed when I realized this. I ve always been a loyal Anti-Apple/Pro-Windows/pro-Android kinda tech guy, but how come Iphones have been able to do this (track names and album artwork over bluetooth) for several years and this new super phone of ours cannot?

Where I need your help:
    1. How can I make it so that my car can recognize my MicroSD card, not just my phone's storage?
    2. I'm not gonna be forced to stick my music into my phone's built in storage instead of my MicroSD card, am I?
    3. Isnt there any software/firmware or mods/rooting stuff I can do to enable tracknames and album artwork over bluetooth on this phone, since it already has bluetooth 4.0 after all?

Well, thank you very much for your time and I hope y'all have some awesome answers, more than greatly appreciated.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Default Re: Evo 4G LTE car's usb port/bluetooth connectivity issues. Plea

Ok, so there has been a development: Turns out, I had USB debugging on. If I turn off, my car is able to see my music through the "Media Sync" option. However, its all completely whack. It sees the music and displays all its proper information, album, artist, album art, BUT its not organized as such. On the Browse feature (through my car's Nav screen) if I click on Artists, it shows "All artists" and "Unknown". Same with Albums category. Under playlists, my playlists show up, but when you click them it says "No Content".
    Now, when you look under the songs category, songs appear as follows:

01 (track number) Random song for Android lovers (song name)

The thing is I have over 1200 songs, and its as though its seeing my whole library as a single, gigantic album. Every single song that is track number one in its respective album appears first in the song list, followed by every single song that is track number two in its respective album, etc. For example:

01 First song of muse's absolution album
    01 First song of muse's uprising album
    01 First song of Nirvana's unplugged album
    02 Second song of muse's absolution album
    02 Second song of muse's uprising album
    02 Second song of Nirvana's unplugged album

and so on, of course, because I have a big library, the above example occurs in a much much larger scale, where there are several track 01's. several track 02's, etc.

This is completely weird, and I have never in my life encountered such a problem Could it have something to do with the the "Media Sync" USB mode option using an MTP protocol which doesnt recognize whatever metadata tagging system ITUNES is using? (I use ITUNES with ISyncr) Please help! I'm seriously considering returning the phone if I cant figure this out. Being able to fully control my music library through my car's Nav screen was one of the most used features I enjoyed on my previous phone (Evo 3D)
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

bump?

No offer of solution, but just a little bit of advice:

Cars are very much unlike smartphones. You can't just push an update when a new compatible device is released. I've noticed that with a lot of new technology there has been problems with forward compatibility between phones and cars. I have a 2012 Chevy Cruze that works with my 3rd Gen iPod, but when an updated friend's iPod Touch or iPhone is plugged in, it won't recognize it. To be quite honest, best advice would be to get in touch/visit your local dealer and see if they have any information. This is most likely not a problem that can be resolved with tinkering around the the ELTE. It's kind of like if you went to speak with Shakespeare; yes you could understand each other with some trouble, but so much gets lost in translation between the two devices (hence the partial song recognition). Car companies don't generally plan ahead for future compatibility or broad changes in OS for devices.

Edit: I solved this issue a while ago by picking up an iPod with a broken screen to attach to my car. Since I only used it in my car and never actually NEEDED the screen I solved this problem while being to go past the usual 32 gig storage limit that Android has. Since you say you have a larger music collection, this may be a good option for you. You can still have your phone connected via Bluetooth for hands-free calling/voice features. This way you're not missing out on a great phone and you're only out 30-40$ for increased storage size that you may have had to pay for when replacing an SD card.
    Last edited by gregisonfire; 06-16-2012 at 11:24 PM.