Root or No Root?

phillymade

Mar 31, 2011
glennsilvasy.blogspot.com
I would like some feed back. I am a past rooted user. I had root on my OG EVO. Since I got the EVO LTE, I have not rooted. I love the device as is. I was always a fan of a stock Rom. Not to say I did not use custom Rom, because I did. I just want my device to be stable and 100% every time I use it. With development in progress with this new EVO, I have decided to stay stock unrooted. I don't see a need for root as of yet. Sure it's nice to remove the stock apps you don' t want and run add blockers, but aside form that, I can't seem to convince myself I need to root now.
So I ask, have you rooted your new EVO 4G LTE, and if so, what was your reasoning. Keep in mind, I am not opposed to root, just want to see what others are doing. Once development gets booming, I may see something that catches my attention, but nothing does right now.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
ROOT!

First root is so damn easy
You can root and stay stock with added functionality. App's such as Titanium backup are just must haves for me. Not to mention wifi tether. While you dont need it a lot its very nice to have in a pinch

Rooted is how our androids are meant to be. I'm also rooted but stock for the moment, waiting on a good stable aosp rom i like ;)

dyphx

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
I rooted so I would have wifi tether available while I'm on vacation. If not for that, I would have waited until after the first OTA update from HTC/Sprint.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Root. Use Android as God, Andy Rubin, and probably Linus Torvalds would use it!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

DougB541#CB

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Is there an easy way to unroot? I'm just thinking there may be a some early software updates and don't feel like going through hoops to update.

guitarec

May 28, 2011
Visit site
I rooted first evening I had mine - so I could restore all my apps with Titanium Backup from my traded in OG EVO. Also for WiFi tether and a few other "root required" apps.

I was a ROMaholic with my OG EVO, but I'm really liking the stock ROM fine enough.

My $0.02,

Eric "GuitarEC"

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

jpmciver

May 24, 2012
Visit site
I debated this in my head...I conclude that I would root but not do a ROM or mod my phone to much.....at least until I get used to it...also I wanted titanium backup & wifi tethering

I did install Swype beta (had to uninstall the stock Swype)...that the only mod I have done thus far

monkeypimp

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I want the Wifi tether and the backup but I am confused these days. What is considered root? Do I just need to unlock or do I need S-off to use these?

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
I would like some feed back. I am a past rooted user. I had root on my OG EVO. Since I got the EVO LTE, I have not rooted. I love the device as is. I was always a fan of a stock Rom. Not to say I did not use custom Rom, because I did. I just want my device to be stable and 100% every time I use it. With development in progress with this new EVO, I have decided to stay stock unrooted.

Rooting and using custom ROMS are two entirely different things.

I don't see a need for root as of yet. Sure it's nice to remove the stock apps you don' t want and run add blockers, but aside form that, I can't seem to convince myself I need to root now.

You don't have to root to remove (disable) unwanted apps. That is built-in now. Except Sprint Zone, since of course we should NEVER be allowed to disable THAT app. Sprint made sure of that. http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc-evo-4g-lte/176565-sprint-zone.html

So I ask, have you rooted your new EVO 4G LTE, and if so, what was your reasoning. Keep in mind, I am not opposed to root, just want to see what others are doing. Once development gets booming, I may see something that catches my attention, but nothing does right now.

I have not. I never rooted my Evo 3D. I did root my Evo OG, but it also left me without the ability to update the OS and there was no way to "unroot" it without flashing a factory ROM (RUU) and losing everything on the phone. Rooting can also break DRM which can cause problems with things like Wallet, Google videos, etc. I might root the Evo LTE, if it will mean being able to patch the two major problems- the broken multitasking, and the WiFi going to sleep even when set not to. Disabling Sprint Zone would be a bonus. But I would want something that is quickly and easily reversible (non-destructive) if it prevents updates.

Rooting will set the "tamper" flag on the phone, which will also void your warranty, although supposedly you can flash an RUU to get that back to factory (which will wipe the phone completely).

Last edited:

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
I want the Wifi tether and the backup but I am confused these days. What is considered root? Do I just need to unlock or do I need S-off to use these?

I am not the best person to answer those questions. First, you can use FoxFi RIGHT NOW to tether without root, until they wake up and disable it somehow. Security features are not working, though.

I do know that S-off and such are not needed to root, it is needed if you plan to install a different ROM (OS install). Root is just the ability to become the superuser. It essentially allows you do to anything you want on your phone by granting superuser (su) to an application. Being "rooted" is persistent, until an over the air update breaks it (unless you use rootkeeper or something). But you usually give su access temporarily to apps as needed (otherwise it would be very dangerous).

Yes, it is confusing. Rooting, bootloaders, ROMS, su, recoveries, backups, adb, boot code, etc. I have seen lots of howto's and articles, but have never seen one that lays out EVERYTHING, COMPLETELY in one place. Always seems to be something omitted, or not explained well, or someone mentions "oh by the way" or later a "unless you use XXXX" and such. Not an easy task, since the rules do change depending on which version of the OS, what the manufacturer did, etc.

philb#AC

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Okay I have a question about rooting, my original nexus s developed a problem with Google Wallet, it had no issues as far as tethering with my hacked Amazon Fire. So Sprint replaced it. Google Wallet works fine but the hotspot says connected but will not allow to access browser. Question is there a fix for this or should I root, and if I root do I lose access to wallet?

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

rockyjay

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Is there an easy way to unroot? I'm just thinking there may be a some early software updates and don't feel like going through hoops to update.

if you watch the YouTube video in the rooting tutorial, he shows you that unrooting is just a simple button push in the Super User App that gets installed. one click , no computer needed and you're back to root.

I found root great for getting all me apps with saved info into the new phone, using Titanium.

kennethbring

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the feed back everyone! Seems like most rooted to use wifi tether. Still on the fence, but leaning more towards not, for now.

I'm still on the fence as well, for now at least. I know for an absolute fact that I am going to root this phone at one point. Right now, my biggest reason for wanting to would be to be able to use the Sixaxis app for GTA III and other things. But I think I heard that it wasn't even compatible, so that's why I'm on the fence.

As of right now, I'm still on stock. with the mindset of "If it aint broke, don't fix it". I have no performance issue. And the issues I AM having wouldnt be alleviated by rooting it.

Anthonicia

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
U also don't need S-OFF anymore. U used to need it to flash radios and splash screens, I believe. It isn't necessary anymore.

I say this bc I was waiting on s-off, but as there is no advantage to it I rooted last night.

Just wanted to have titanium backup, ad-free, and the ability to uninstall Facebook and the like.

Robynsnest

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
ROOT!

First root is so damn easy
You can root and stay stock with added functionality. App's such as Titanium backup are just must haves for me. Not to mention wifi tether. While you dont need it a lot its very nice to have in a pinch

Rooted is how our androids are meant to be. I'm also rooted but stock for the moment, waiting on a good stable aosp rom i like ;)

i don't understand the rom thing. Obviously it's an operating issue but where can I read more about it. I like to be really informed before I do something such as root. Obviously I don't know a lot about it at this point. :confused:

Mophomania

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm actually a first time rooter. It was very easy. Took about ten minutes ( longest part was updating USB drivers from HTC) it was seriously one click, phone rebooted three times, and bam! Root! I did it for the curiosity of it. And that unrooting is just one click away. I found that I am thoroughly happy to have rooted, but have some questions...but that's another thread. Anyways, I restored the functionality that was removed/ hobbled by Apple( build prop edit),removed/ blocked ads in my apps, I'm using Nova prime, and since root have my Widgets in my app drawer( like AOSP). Learned about titanium backup, cache cleaners ( gets old going thru each and every app to clear cache) and a couple of cool things having root helps with. Still learning. But so far I'm very pleased. Now my youtube plays where it should, URLs pull up where theyb
should, phone numbers pull up where they should( options I get to select, not the one HTC set up in apps associations) so far I'm loving this phone more and more every day. Now if only there was a way to fix the whole multitasking thing while maintaining stock ROM....

sent from my wicked EVO ONE using mind beam.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexpall