Should I get the s3?

malikshuman

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I've had my EVO since the preorders for bestbuy came out and I love it. I've never had any problems with sense reloading and the multitasking doesnt bother me much. Now that the s3 is approaching I'm fighting with myself whether I should get it or keep my evo. Is the extra gig of ram and removable battery worth it?

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

mazzmoney95

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
Extra Gig of RAM? No
Battery? Depends on how much you change your battery. If there is a 3000 mAh battery that add little bulk (like the RAZR MAXX), that would be worth it(I havent seen one though).
I've heard that the EVO's screen is superior to the S3's but I havent seen both so I cant comment (not a big difference).
Besides that I LOVE the way the S3 looks compared to the EVO. The only phone that looks better than the S3 IMO is the One S.
Lastly, the S3 will likely have more Dev support (if you're into modding) and probably will update quicker since there is only one version of the S3 (if you dont like modding).

Shadnic

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
I agree with your tastes mazzmoney. I too LOVE the way the S3 looks ( it's ridiclously futuristic and sexy) compared to the evo, but I like the uniqueness and premium feel that comes with the Evo's design. It's very powerful and striking...sexy in a different way. That and I'm enjoying sense quite a lot after using a samsung phone for the last 2 years, but I'm also a bit on the fence. I'll have to try to GS3 when it comes out just to see. Plus the number of accessories and dev support will be mind blowing.

Oh and the OneS is definitely one of the sexiest phones around next to the S3, good call.

Last edited:

Quis89

Q&A Team
Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
The dev support for the Evo line has always been pretty good aside from the Evo if I'm not mistaken though. The S3 is ugly to me. The color options are incredibly feminine. And Touchwhiz has always been ugly to me as well. The Evo just seems to have a more refined, elegance to it. Whereas the S3 seems toyish. Just my opinion though.

Saneless

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I think the EVO looks better, probably feels better, and has a better screen. That being said, it doesn't have enough RAM to be useful, and at the end of the day I use my phone more than I sit looking at it, so I'd get the S3 just so you can have a better experience using it.

LegacyEvoAce

May 29, 2012
Visit site
Its rather simple really...if multitasking or should i say the lack of multitasking does not bother you....then go with the EVO otherwise go with the S3.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Lastly, the S3 will likely have more Dev support (if you're into modding) and probably will update quicker since there is only one version of the S3 (if you dont like modding).

NOT!

The Og evo had great dev support and its already showing how popular the new evo is with cookers. Rom's are going to be plentiful for this phone.

Second is that Samsung has a long history of forgetting about their devices soon as a newer one comes along. Last ones to update. Htc has always been good about keeping their products up to date for as long as possible.

Saneless

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
NOT!

The Og evo had great dev support and its already showing how popular the new evo is with cookers. Rom's are going to be plentiful for this phone.

Second is that Samsung has a long history of forgetting about their devices soon as a newer one comes along. Last ones to update. Htc has always been good about keeping their products up to date for as long as possible.

This is all debatable. Looking at the Galaxy S series, maybe the Fascinate and Captivate and Blah blah name 1 and 2 each had less than the EVO, but the Galaxy S3 is the S3 on AT&T, Sprint, Verizon, and T-mobile. So development shouldn't be as fragmented.

Hopefully though there's quite a bit of code that can be reused from the US One X and EVO LTE, but there's always going to be some differences, like no One X ROM ever has to worry about SD card support or the camera button but the LTE does.

cloak.n.dagger

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Everyone has their individual likes and dislikes. My wife had the Samsung Epic while I had the HTC EVO 4G, and she traded in her phone for the EVO after she used mine. I hated the Samsung Epic. Touchwiz seemed very clunky compared to Sesne. Since then, I have remained loyal to HTC and stuck with, what I feel, is the better of the two manufacturers. I feel HTC makes a better product and provides better support. My brother has the Epic 4G Touch and likes it a lot but says the battery life sucks. I love everything about the EVO 4G LTE. I have never been one to swap out batteries, so the non-removable battery is not an issue for me. I have never run out of juice before bed time, where it gets plugged in and charged over night. If you are on the fence then I would recomend using the phone once they are available in the stores to see which one you like better. I don't think I would move away from HTC at this point, even if I tried the S3 and liked it better. I have faith that HTC will fix the issues and feel that the HW will last me until the next gen of HTC phones are ready for my consumption!

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Well if we're all lucky (i think we will be) i think the dev community will love both these phones.

I for one love htc devices and i think its great that we have two very good choices to argue over with the Evo and the G s3

Reactions: cloak.n.dagger

malikshuman

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I think I'm gonna stick with the evo. The galaxy looks childish to me. Plus I love the kickstand for Netflix

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

LegacyEvoAce

May 29, 2012
Visit site
Its rather simple really...if multitasking or should i say the lack of multitasking does not bother you....then go with the EVO otherwise go with the S3.

shadowhawk2020

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I am frustrated with my Evo so I will be looking to switch. But on the other hand my wife has had no issues with hers and she will be keeping the Evo.

I really do like most things about the Evo. If I end up stuck with it I will be fine as long as a good version of CM9 is released.

mike31082

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
I was debating the same thing, I decided to go with the EVO LTE and picked it up earlier today. They way I looked at it is the hardware is nearly identical with the exception of the battery and expandable storage. The S3 is just a hair bigger and I personally hate the TouchWhiz interface. I've also read that the screen actually looks better on the EVO LTE and that the radio in Samsung 's handsets are pretty bad.

That was enough for me not to bother waiting for the S3.

Going from the original EVO 4G to either one of these phones though is good jump either way. I bench-marked both EVOs earlier and the EVO LTE comes out about 5x higher than the original. 4989 to 911.

MexRex

May 26, 2012
Visit site
2GB is very tempting. I'm pretty sure HTC will send out a patch to fix the crazy task killing. Other than that there will always be a better phone. The LG Eclipse is coming to Sprint. That beast has a quad-core, 2gb ram, and a 13 megapixel camera. So should I return my EVOX and wait for the LG?

vastmandana

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
I've been EVO since day one and while the EVO lte is amazing and I love it and have invested lots of fun time setting it up, I'm thinking of switching when the S3 comes out...why?

Unlike most, I'm only getting 6-7 hrs battery life. I podcast all day while gardening and really miss being able to swap batteries (have 3 for EVO 4g)

It takes up to 10+ seconds to return to the home screen which is really bugging me

Podcast downloads are failing way more often and seem to be slower than the 4g was.

Losing multitask info

From what I understand, both phones will have the same chips and radios per twit a few days ago and the 2 gigs should help a lot.

Personally I've never liked Samsung but my experience, which is just mine (lemon?) Is causing me to reflect on the S3...:-[

Last edited:

LegacyEvoAce

May 29, 2012
Visit site
2GB is very tempting. I'm pretty sure HTC will send out a patch to fix the crazy task killing. Other than that there will always be a better phone. The LG Eclipse is coming to Sprint. That beast has a quad-core, 2gb ram, and a 13 megapixel camera. So should I return my EVOX and wait for the LG?

Hadnt even heard of that phone lol LG gets no kind of press about to look it up.

mazzmoney95

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
This is all debatable. Looking at the Galaxy S series, maybe the Fascinate and Captivate and Blah blah name 1 and 2 each had less than the EVO, but the Galaxy S3 is the S3 on AT&T, Sprint, Verizon, and T-mobile. So development shouldn't be as fragmented.

Hopefully though there's quite a bit of code that can be reused from the US One X and EVO LTE, but there's always going to be some differences, like no One X ROM ever has to worry about SD card support or the camera button but the LTE does.

The SGSII had less support than the EVO 3D? Thats not possible. The 3D was terribad in Zdev suppot, it never even got a fully functioning ICS ROM. And was there even an official CM7 Rom? The 3D was a huge failure nit to mention the SGSII was twice as good as the 3D.

But yeah this year will be different for samsung. 3 things they did better this year than last are:
1)They got the same phone on every carrier
2) They got great hardware without taking features (removable battery, SD card)
3 They released in a timely manner on ALL 4 CARRIERS. Compared to the SI and SII which releasd all over the plance and like 3 months after the HTC phones in the staes, this is a HUGE step up.

Samsung is a win this year but I'll wait till next year to actually switch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance