Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Linux: The power beneath

Global Posts
    2,202 Global Posts

Default Re: "Maps" Using 20% Battery? No matter what!?!

Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
    there is nothing clickable at all. (Note, I removed my name from the screenshot)
    Wait, I can click on "Share location with family or friends", which takes me to a new screen that says "Background location reporting" (see attachment). There I can click on "Cancel", since I do not want to use Latitude nor Background location reporting. But it then kicks me back to the map. When I go into settings -> location settings again, I just takes me right back to the "Latitude" menu again.

If I AGREE to continue, *THEN* I can get into the menu that you are all talking about, and turn it all off again. Very confusing.

I am going to guess that what I said originally is accurate- if you enabled Google [Spy] Now (which I did not) then it will automatically also enable Latitude and turn on background reporting. If you never enabled "Now", then you would see the screens I did.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails "Maps" Using 20% Battery? No matter what!?!-2012-12-28_11-01-33.png  
    Click "Thanks" and/or "Like" button on posts where someone helped you or you liked the posting. Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Evo LTE, Evo 3D, Evo 4G

I have EVERYTHING unchecked in maps and Google now turned off and I'm still getting 25 percent use. I really wish we could solve this one... Nothing worse than wasting battery.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

It's *NOT* using 25% of your battery! The 25% means, of the battery amount that has been used so far, 25% of that is attributed to Maps and it's services.
    So, in other words... If you have used 10% of your battery, and Maps is using 25% of that 10%, then Maps can be attributed to using approximately 2.5% of your battery.

Sorry, I understand that and should have been more clear. So to clarify, maps is ALWAYS using the largest percentage of my battery, despite having everything unchecked. So right now my battery is at 40. It says maps has used 25 percent of the 60 percent that has been used. Why is it using so much when I'm not using it??

Global Posts
    2,202 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by everlast316 View Post
    Sorry, I understand that and should have been more clear. So to clarify, maps is ALWAYS using the largest percentage of my battery, despite having everything unchecked. So right now my battery is at 40. It says maps has used 25 percent of the 60 percent that has been used. Why is it using so much when I'm not using it??
    We can't answer that. If you have location history turned off, then you are a candidate for other steps, like removing 3rd party apps that use location, and then as a last resort, a factory reset.
    Click "Thanks" and/or "Like" button on posts where someone helped you or you liked the posting. Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Evo LTE, Evo 3D, Evo 4G

Global Posts
    140 Global Posts

I just noticed the same thing recently . I upgraded recently to JB, and now boom the GMaps is using 45% of battery time. I've got pretty much everything off, including NOW and location history.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,032 Global Posts

Uninstall the updates to maps in the Google play store. It fixed the battery consumption from maps on my phone.

Sent from my Verizon Droid DNA

Global Posts
    140 Global Posts

Unistall and then re-install, or just uninstall?
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,032 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tivoboy View Post
    Unistall and then re-install, or just uninstall?
    Uninstall and do not reninstall updates. Maps is a factory app that cannot be uninstalled. You can disable it and uninstall updates. The problem for me is that it was waking my phone up throughout the day, and eventually kept my phone awake 24/7. You can see if this is your problem by going to settings>battery> history. The graph should show you a bar graph portraying your WiFi useage, mobile data useage, screen on useage, and awake useage on your phone.

I uninstalled (didn't reinstall) and it's no longer showing in my battery usage stats and it seems like my battery is decreasing slower. Thanks for this tip!

Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,032 Global Posts

I uninstalled (didn't reinstall) and it's no longer showing in my battery usage stats and it seems like my battery is decreasing slower. Thanks for this tip!

No problem, its an obnoxious problem to have, glad I could help!

Global Posts
    140 Global Posts

yes, I uninstalled the "updates" and left the main app there. Now, battery back to draining in like 2 DAYS from prior to the JB update. So, something about JB and the Maps update is whacked. Bummer, as I am pretty sure they put those updates out there for a reasons. why wouldn't they update it to fix this?

Global Posts
    2,202 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tivoboy View Post
    yes, I uninstalled the "updates" and left the main app there. Now, battery back to draining in like 2 DAYS from prior to the JB update. So, something about JB and the Maps update is whacked. Bummer, as I am pretty sure they put those updates out there for a reasons. why wouldn't they update it to fix this?
    You make it sound like it affects everyone- it doesn't. Could be one of your settings, or an interaction with something else perhaps. You might end up having to wipe/reset to get it "fixed".

You make it sound like it affects everyone- it doesn't. Could be one of your settings, or an interaction with something else perhaps. You might end up having to wipe/reset to get it "fixed".
    Why does everyone toss around the wipe/reset option like it's nothing. It's a royal pain in the *** to do (I have things going on in my life other than playing with my phone settings), so absent Google personally fixing this issue for me, I'm hoping that one of the other people on here with the same issue may stumble upon a fix that doesn't involve wasting hours of my time.

Global Posts
    140 Global Posts

Yeah, I'm not about to do a whole wipe/reset to find out what conflict THIS update for google maps, is apparently having either directly or in combination with something else. I run a pretty lean shop, but wiping and re-installing everything would take way too long.

Just an fyi, JUST removing the gmaps installed update - fixed any reduction in battery time issue I (underscore I) was having. I'm now back to a good two days before needing to charge.

Global Posts
    2,202 Global Posts

Why does everyone toss around the wipe/reset option like it's nothing. It's a royal pain in the *** to do (I have things going on in my life other than playing with my phone settings), so absent Google personally fixing this issue for me, I'm hoping that one of the other people on here with the same issue may stumble upon a fix that doesn't involve wasting hours of my time.
    I don't toss it around like it is nothing. But you have a choice- you can spend countless hours uninstalling crap one by one and changing settings and fiddling and messing an still not really know. Or you can wipe and start fresh and test while adding things back. Usually the latter is faster, cleaner, and more conclusive.

Of course, there is nothing wrong with asking and trying some different things first. But once you have done that, then you are faced with a tough decision.

The unistalling MAPS updated worked for me. Thanks a mil. Started just when I updated My Galaxy Note to JB. Battery was dying within hours and never had a problem before. What a pain that was!

Well bad news.. This worked until u tried to actually use Maps. When I opened it I got a popup that said "updated to latest version" and was back to the battery drain. So looks like this fix works as long as you never want to use maps again.
    Sigh.

Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,032 Global Posts

Well bad news.. This worked until u tried to actually use Maps. When I opened it I got a popup that said "updated to latest version" and was back to the battery drain. So looks like this fix works as long as you never want to use maps again.
    Sigh.

Do you have the app set to automatically update? Check your play store settings, auto sync settings, and in app settings. I think the option is in app, though...I uninstalled updates and have since used maps with no problem. It didn't update again, for me.

Great idea. I looked in the store and it's not set to auto update. I checked in app and couldn't find an auto update button so I assume that's not it. I checked my sync options and couldn't find an auto update option, however I did notice that I had my location and Google now settings turned off in app, but in the sync settings menu they were still turned on! Pretty sneaky Google! So I turned them off there and we'll see if that does the trick.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,032 Global Posts

Great idea. I looked in the store and it's not set to auto update. I checked in app and couldn't find an auto update button so I assume that's not it. I checked my sync options and couldn't find an auto update option, however I did notice that I had my location and Google now settings turned off in app, but in the sync settings menu they were still turned on! Pretty sneaky Google! So I turned them off there and we'll see if that does the trick.
    Hopefully! I haven't had any issues out of maps since, even when using it. JB and maps aren't playing well for some reason. I hope they iron it out pretty quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Stough View Post
    Hopefully! I haven't had any issues out of maps since, even when using it. JB and maps aren't playing well for some reason. I hope they iron it out pretty quickly.
    Could it be the Google Now integration? Enabling Google Now means that inside your Maps->Location settings, location reporting is automatically turned on. Some people report turning off all automatic location reporting (including location history) largely mitigates the problem (but Maps still shows up more than usual).

Also, some have suggested going into ROM Toolbox's Auto-start manager and disabling four of the services (1, 3, 4, and 7, I believe) that relate to automatic location reporting.

Finally, I haven't tried it myself, but I think that the app "Backitude" will still work with the latest version of Maps and JB/Google Now. Backitude is available in the Play Store. From what I understand, you set location services to "manual" and then Backitude does the updating for you. Backitude can report your location in a more battery efficient way -- e.g., by "stealing" recent locations from LinkedIn check-ins or times you've actually opened maps yourself.
    Last edited by tpavlic; 05-14-2013 at 03:07 PM.

Global Posts
    2,202 Global Posts

I don't know what happened, but today for the first time, I got home from work and my battery was half gone due to maps. Considering I didn't do ANYTHING with the phone the 9 hours it was off the charger this is pretty annoying. Fluke? The maps update today? Not sure. I did kill the app and report it.

Put it on the charger for an hour, took it off for 10 minutes and then looked at usage. Maps had consumed 16% of my battery again. OMG. I killed and reported it again. I then cleared map's cache and settings. Launched maps and made sure it looked normal. Turned off screen and placed on charger for a while to reset the battery usage. Then left it off charger for a while and confirmed it is no longer using any battery. Solved? Perhaps...

Global Posts
    2,202 Global Posts

I don't know what happened, but today for the first time, I got home from work and my battery was half gone due to maps. Considering I didn't do ANYTHING with the phone the 9 hours it was off the charger this is pretty annoying. Fluke? The maps update today? Not sure. I did kill the app and report it.

Put it on the charger for an hour, took it off for 10 minutes and then looked at usage. Maps had consumed 16% of my battery again. OMG. I killed and reported it again. I then cleared map's cache and settings. Launched maps and made sure it looked normal. Turned off screen and placed on charger for a while to reset the battery usage. Then left it off charger for a while and confirmed it is no longer using any battery. Solved? Perhaps...
    So much for that theory. Today it did the same thing. Battery draining with no use and maps was 40+% of it. So I uninstalled all the updates to maps, which reverted back to the old factory-included ROM version and THAT seems to have stopped the problem. It seems curious this thread is not flooded with new postings on this. Maybe it is a combination issue.

Global Posts
    2,202 Global Posts

I have reported this to HTC.
    ==============
    Sprint EVO LTE

Google pushed out an update to Maps in the last few days and I and a few others have a big problem with it draining the battery, even when the phone and Maps is not being used at all. I have GPS always off. I have Google Now turned off. Rebooting, clearing Maps cache, and clearing and settings has no effect. The only way I could stop it from draining the battery was to "uninstall" all the updates to Maps, reverting it back to the stock, pre-installed ROM version.

This might be Google's fault, but I am reporting it to you also just as an FYI. Hopefully you can make some noise on our behalf since this is a huge problem for some of us. Thanks
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast