"Maps" Using 20% Battery? No matter what!?!

flyhighx

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
After 2 weeks with my EVOLTE, I've noticed "Maps" is using roughly 20% of my battery on a daily basis. "Screen" is obviously using the most battery, but everyday, "Maps" is ALWAYS number 2 at around 20% unless I go out of my way to get a game or video to use up more battery. I've gone days, where I've not even opened up google maps and it's still there. I've gone days where I've had the GPS off and it's still there using up that roughly 20% of my battery. Anyone else have this? Is it normal or is there something I could try?

I'm not complaining about the battery life. I've found it to be amazing. If I could be getting more out of the battery though because the "Maps" app is not behaving correctly or something, I certainly want to do that.

Mastertech

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Funny you mention this... just noticed the same thing on my phone yesterday when the battery dropped more than normal. I haven't even used maps that I can recall.

strudel#AC

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I think Maps gets listed as used if an app uses GPS or location services. (determining location via wifi) I would look for apps that constantly try to monitor your location if usage is that high and you are trying to improve battery life.

PREvision

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
I use an app that uses location services every 2 days when I go biking. My battery usage shows that app but not "maps" at all.

Shadnic

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
If your GPS is on then it'll show Maps in your battery drainage I'm pretty sure. GPS will eat that much battery life.

flyhighx

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
If your GPS is on then it'll show Maps in your battery drainage I'm pretty sure. GPS will eat that much battery life.

No, this happens with GPS on and with it off as well. I'm going to have to look through the processes and see which ones are running under the "maps" title.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
After 2 weeks with my EVOLTE, I've noticed "Maps" is using roughly 20% of my battery on a daily basis. "Screen" is obviously using the most battery, but everyday, "Maps" is ALWAYS number 2 at around 20% unless I go out of my way to get a game or video to use up more battery. I've gone days, where I've not even opened up google maps and it's still there. I've gone days where I've had the GPS off and it's still there using up that roughly 20% of my battery. Anyone else have this? Is it normal or is there something I could try?

I'm not complaining about the battery life. I've found it to be amazing. If I could be getting more out of the battery though because the "Maps" app is not behaving correctly or something, I certainly want to do that.

I hate to sound like Captain Obvious... but have you rebooted yet? If not, turn off "Fastboot" option and try a full reboot. Who knows, it could be something hung/stuck/freaky. Always a good first thing to try before other troubleshooting.

flyhighx

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. Hey, you never know. I do have fastboot off, and I did do a reset. Still having the "maps" using up big portions of my battery. GPS is off but google location service using wifi/mobile network is on. I understand that I'm allowing my phone to use "maps" to determine a location for various apps and that uses battery. I'm just surprised that having that service active is using around 20% of my battery to run in the background for location services. Again, it's not like I'm actively using google maps or using lattitude to update my position. I'm not using any social media where it's checking me in. To the best of my knowledge, I don't have any apps running that would require a location. Even weather is set to manually update.

I'm going to experiment and turn ALL location services off, reboot, and report back tomorrow. If "maps" is still using 20% battery without having any location services running, I'll be a bit more worried.

doomstang

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I have seen Maps in there way too often too. I removed the Sense flip clock and went with a Beautiful Widget that allowed me to remove auto location (tried and tried and couldn't get sense flip clock to disable the Auto locate regardless of disabling that setting). I thought that helped but I'm seeing maps again. I keep disabling more and more options in various apps trying to pinpoint it but I haven't had any real luck yet.

Sent from my Evo 4G LTE using Tapatalk

Saneless

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
My maps usage was out of control when I had Beautiful Widgets and didn't realize the default weather setting was set to 15 minutes. Changed it to 1 hour and Maps dropped quite a bit.

flyhighx

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Update:

After spending a whole day yesterday with all location services turned off, and not opening up google maps at all, "Maps" finally did not show up as using any battery. Today, I re-enabled location services and GPS and low and behold, "Maps" is using battery, but more in line with what should be expected for a background service. I'm showing 2%, a far cry from the 20% from earlier. I can only recommend that anyone with this issue turn off GPS, and Google Location Service, re-boot, and then re-enable those services.

freedumb87

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I noticed my battery attributed a higher usage to maps yesterday when I didn't actually use the Maps app at all. I did mess around with the Weather Channel app (radar) a lot so I'm thinking that was the culprit for me.

Anthony Atkinson

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
After going through the same problem for quite some time, I believe I've finally tracked the cause of the problem to the new Google Now that is using location services to target the "cards" to your notifications such as traffic alerts. In Settings --> Location Service, try toggling off the Google search location services and see if this fixes the issue. This would explain why I didn't have the same issue before the Jelly Bean update.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
After going through the same problem for quite some time, I believe I've finally tracked the cause of the problem to the new Google Now that is using location services to target the "cards" to your notifications such as traffic alerts. In Settings --> Location Service, try toggling off the Google search location services and see if this fixes the issue. This would explain why I didn't have the same issue before the Jelly Bean update.

Several people have already reported this as a possible fix (that it worked for them). My solution is that I never turned on Google [Spy] Now :)

FaisDogg

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
I had the same issue, its not Google now, its caused by "location History" in Google maps settings, uncheck it, your battery life should improve...

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I had the same issue, its not Google now, its caused by "location History" in Google maps settings, uncheck it, your battery life should improve...

I am guessing that option only appears if you have Google [spy] Now activated. I have it completely off and have no such option in Google maps.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1