"Maps" Using 20% Battery? No matter what!?!

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
I had Google now turned off and I still had location history as a map option. It is now off. We'll see what happens.

I just checked for a THIRD time. When I go into google maps and then the settings, there is an option called "Location settings". When I choose that it takes a while to load and then says "Latitude. Location sharing is not turned on". There is nothing anywhere about "Location history". So I searched elsewhere, even on the main settings for the phone. Still could find nothing labeled "Location history" anywhere.

I would love to know what you/others are referring to, exactly...

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
It's right there, near the bottom...

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1356671306193.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1356671306193.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 42

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
That doesn't completely address the issue. What app? What menu?

Sorry. This is Google Maps - Settings - Location settings.

If your Google Maps is taking you somewhere else with that menu that sounds like that might indicate the problem.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Sorry. This is Google Maps - Settings - Location settings.

If your Google Maps is taking you somewhere else with that menu that sounds like that might indicate the problem.

So I am not crazy afterall! When I select "settings" in Google Maps, then choose "Location settings", there are two consecutive popups saying "Loading...." and after a few seconds I get the following screen (see attachment) and there is nothing I can do on that screen, menu does nothing, there is nothing clickable at all. (Note, I removed my name from the screenshot)

FREAKY????

Attachments

• 2012-12-28_10-41-20.png
    2012-12-28_10-41-20.png
    367.6 KB · Views: 28

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
there is nothing clickable at all. (Note, I removed my name from the screenshot)

Wait, I can click on "Share location with family or friends", which takes me to a new screen that says "Background location reporting" (see attachment). There I can click on "Cancel", since I do not want to use Latitude nor Background location reporting. But it then kicks me back to the map. When I go into settings -> location settings again, I just takes me right back to the "Latitude" menu again.

If I AGREE to continue, *THEN* I can get into the menu that you are all talking about, and turn it all off again. Very confusing.

I am going to guess that what I said originally is accurate- if you enabled Google [Spy] Now (which I did not) then it will automatically also enable Latitude and turn on background reporting. If you never enabled "Now", then you would see the screens I did.

Attachments

• 2012-12-28_11-01-33.png
    2012-12-28_11-01-33.png
    114.9 KB · Views: 30

everlast316

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I have EVERYTHING unchecked in maps and Google now turned off and I'm still getting 25 percent use. I really wish we could solve this one... Nothing worse than wasting battery.

Ciege

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
It's *NOT* using 25% of your battery! The 25% means, of the battery amount that has been used so far, 25% of that is attributed to Maps and it's services.
So, in other words... If you have used 10% of your battery, and Maps is using 25% of that 10%, then Maps can be attributed to using approximately 2.5% of your battery.

everlast316

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Sorry, I understand that and should have been more clear. So to clarify, maps is ALWAYS using the largest percentage of my battery, despite having everything unchecked. So right now my battery is at 40. It says maps has used 25 percent of the 60 percent that has been used. Why is it using so much when I'm not using it??

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Sorry, I understand that and should have been more clear. So to clarify, maps is ALWAYS using the largest percentage of my battery, despite having everything unchecked. So right now my battery is at 40. It says maps has used 25 percent of the 60 percent that has been used. Why is it using so much when I'm not using it??

We can't answer that. If you have location history turned off, then you are a candidate for other steps, like removing 3rd party apps that use location, and then as a last resort, a factory reset.

tivoboy

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I just noticed the same thing recently . I upgraded recently to JB, and now boom the GMaps is using 45% of battery time. I've got pretty much everything off, including NOW and location history.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Unistall and then re-install, or just uninstall?

Uninstall and do not reninstall updates. Maps is a factory app that cannot be uninstalled. You can disable it and uninstall updates. The problem for me is that it was waking my phone up throughout the day, and eventually kept my phone awake 24/7. You can see if this is your problem by going to settings>battery> history. The graph should show you a bar graph portraying your WiFi useage, mobile data useage, screen on useage, and awake useage on your phone.

Sent from my Verizon Droid DNA

everlast316

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I uninstalled (didn't reinstall) and it's no longer showing in my battery usage stats and it seems like my battery is decreasing slower. Thanks for this tip!

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I uninstalled (didn't reinstall) and it's no longer showing in my battery usage stats and it seems like my battery is decreasing slower. Thanks for this tip!

No problem, its an obnoxious problem to have, glad I could help!

Sent from my Verizon Droid DNA

tivoboy

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
yes, I uninstalled the "updates" and left the main app there. Now, battery back to draining in like 2 DAYS from prior to the JB update. So, something about JB and the Maps update is whacked. Bummer, as I am pretty sure they put those updates out there for a reasons. why wouldn't they update it to fix this?

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
yes, I uninstalled the "updates" and left the main app there. Now, battery back to draining in like 2 DAYS from prior to the JB update. So, something about JB and the Maps update is whacked. Bummer, as I am pretty sure they put those updates out there for a reasons. why wouldn't they update it to fix this?

You make it sound like it affects everyone- it doesn't. Could be one of your settings, or an interaction with something else perhaps. You might end up having to wipe/reset to get it "fixed".

everlast316

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
You make it sound like it affects everyone- it doesn't. Could be one of your settings, or an interaction with something else perhaps. You might end up having to wipe/reset to get it "fixed".

Why does everyone toss around the wipe/reset option like it's nothing. It's a royal pain in the *** to do (I have things going on in my life other than playing with my phone settings), so absent Google personally fixing this issue for me, I'm hoping that one of the other people on here with the same issue may stumble upon a fix that doesn't involve wasting hours of my time.

tivoboy

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I'm not about to do a whole wipe/reset to find out what conflict THIS update for google maps, is apparently having either directly or in combination with something else. I run a pretty lean shop, but wiping and re-installing everything would take way too long.

Just an fyi, JUST removing the gmaps installed update - fixed any reduction in battery time issue I (underscore I) was having. I'm now back to a good two days before needing to charge.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon