Need for screen protector?

kekekezerglingrush

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
Hello AndroidCentral & Fellow 4G LTE owners,

I'm sure you guys have seen that video of the guy beating in the nail with his EVO LTE, I'm still a bit skeptical on the whole gorilla glass thing.

I've had my phone for a day or so, and I know its still early to tell, but is Gorilla Glass as strong as they make it seem? I understand its not bullet proof, but is it safe to put in my pocket with keys / wallet etc?

Thanks!

36cf

May 8, 2012
Visit site
I would not put it in my pocket with keys, etc.

I took mine to the beach with out a screen protector, like an idiot. I now have two lovely scratch marks on my screen as evidence. Must have been sand. I left my phone in the beach bag the whole time, eve. Stupid, I know. I thought the screen was tough, though. The scratches are not huge, but I know they're there.

Learn from my mistakes. Protect the screen.

mazzmoney95

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
I picked up and invisible shield and cant get a replacement because i'm an idiot (threw out shieldand lost receipt). I didnt seem necessary but its nice to be safe. I dont see why not unless your low on funds. Although if you thinking about getting a shield or a case, the case i more important.

Quis89

Q&A Team
Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
Gorilla glass doesn't mean scratch proof. It's just really durable against pressure if I'm not mistaken. It can still be scratched with minimal effort.

Reactions: crzycrkr

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
Gorilla Glass is shatter and scratch resistant. Its not keys and coins you need to be worrying about, its tiny grains of grit that can be mixed in with the lint in your pocket, or on you hands. Sand will scratch all glass. So, short answer, yes, get a screen protector. Steinheil Ultra Crystal is the best there is

Sent from my EVO LTE using Tapatalk 2

kekekezerglingrush

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
thanks guys! bought a case before i walked out of the store (casemate barely there case). looks like i will look into a screen protector.

the screen protectors ive had on my phone in the past just feels too gummy/rubbery. maybe they are different now, lol.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
thanks guys! bought a case before i walked out of the store (casemate barely there case). looks like i will look into a screen protector.

the screen protectors ive had on my phone in the past just feels too gummy/rubbery. maybe they are different now, lol.

Steinheil Ultra Crystal. Feels like glass and completely unnoticable once its on. There's a slight drag for the first day or two, then it feels just like the naked screen.

freedumb87

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Steinheil Ultra Crystal. Feels like glass and completely unnoticable once its on. There's a slight drag for the first day or two, then it feels just like the naked screen.

Agree completely. I just put the same one on my phone yesterday and can't really notice it there.
14 bucks at Amazon for a pack of 2.
Amazon.com: SPIGEN SGP Steinheil Ultra Crystal Screen Protector for HTC EVO 4G LTE SGP09182: Cell Phones & Accessories

dskwerl

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site

This is more or less why I haven't gotten one yet. For every device I've put a screen protector on, it either creates too much friction to glide around easily, or I get an obscene amount of bubbles underneath because I'm terrible at applying them.

tiggrev

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
This is more or less why I haven't gotten one yet. For every device I've put a screen protector on, it either creates too much friction to glide around easily, or I get an obscene amount of bubbles underneath because I'm terrible at applying them.

Ditto this. I tried a (highly rated) screen protector on my OG EVO and it felt tacky. The film also scratched so easily that after just a few days use it looked awful. Removed it and never went back.

As a pro photographer, I've previously commented that it's like putting a cheap filter over a $2k nano-coated lens; might provide a marginal amount of protection but kills the whole point of having high quality optics.

My OG EVO went two years with no screen protector and is still pristine, no scratches whatsoever. DISCLAIMER: I baby my tech toys and never placed the EVO facing down or allowed anything harder than pocket lint to touch the screen, so YMMV.

Reactions: kbp08tls

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I average an upgrade a year, never used a screen protector, and never scratched a screen. I've tried them briefly but removed them quickly as I don't like the look or the feel. I keep my phone in my pocket and nothing but my phone ever goes in that pocket. With Gorilla Glass 2, I have no concerns.

kekekezerglingrush

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
for the guys with the Steinheil protector, does it affect the light sensor at all? i've read some reviews where some people had issues with screen protectors affecting the responsiveness of the sensor (im assuming due to some kind of light diffraction or opacity of the protector)

thank you all for the responses!

KyleB4real

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Just curious...
Will a screen protector for a HTC One X for T-mobile work on the EVO LTE?
I thought I read something about the standard One X having a curved screen?? so I assumed it wouldnt work.

freedumb87

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
for the guys with the Steinheil protector, does it affect the light sensor at all? i've read some reviews where some people had issues with screen protectors affecting the responsiveness of the sensor (im assuming due to some kind of light diffraction or opacity of the protector)

The first thing I checked was the proximity sensor after I applied the protector. I checked it before I put it on and then checked it afterwards and there was no difference in how it functioned afterwards. There are no cutouts on it either. As far as any other sensors like auto-brightness, I haven't noticed anything abnormal with it.

The only nit picky thing I would say is that when the screen is off you can see smudges a little more easily (i think) than before. However, it wipes off easily and you don't see it until you hold it off angle.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site

Some have had issues, but the general consensus is no. I have them on 4 EVO LTEs and no issues. They're amazingly easy to put on too. I did 4 somewhere between 5 and 10 minutes. Never any bubbles, clompketely smooth just like the glass.

As far as I've read. GGII is no different than GG other than thickness. Seems everyone that doesn't run a protector and never had scratches in the last always blame the glass when the odds finally catch up. There's threads in every forum like that, lol

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
This is my first Steinheil protector (ultra crystal) and i'm a fan for life. Top notch protection with no drag.

Also love how it works well with a case. No worries about the edges pealing up like my Zagg did.

Never would have known about Steinheil if not for android central. Thanks everyone :)

Reactions: crzycrkr

bitbear

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
I have a matte finish screen protector. Looks great. I especially like these because I think they actually make the screen slicker which is especially nice if you use Swype.

As far as installing them, yea its a pain to do. You need to slowly peel back the side toward the screen while applying it. Use a credit card to smooth out the bubbles if any. If you have a really dusty environment, get a spray bottle and lightly mist the screen before installing it. Use the credit card to smooth out the protector and push the water out the edges while mopping up excess with a tissue. The little bit of fluid will push out the dust.

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE using Tapatalk 2

Anthonicia

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Anyone use the fix it buffers to (buff) out scratches? Well I guess it really fills the scratches in rather than buffs. Have a very tiny dot that I believe is a manufacturing defect I need to fix. I've already taken this phone back twice for other issues.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums