Getting music on the EVO 4G LTE

Gary Mazo

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
So, there are quite a few ways to get music on the EVO 4G LTE; I can transfer via USB, use doubleTwist or use Google play and upload all my desktop music to the cloud and stream or download.

Which way are most of you using to get music on your EVO?

kbp08tls

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
Plug in to PC -> select disk drive -> drag and drop to sd card

Google Play is great in concept, and I like the player (hate the widget though), but it stinks in execution for me because my data bounces between bad and non-existent on my commute, so it buffers more than it streams. If I had a great consistent signal, it would probably be my default.

tiggrev

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I have a couple of NAS drives attached to my router and use ES File Explorer (free app) to wirelessly copy files back and forth, including MP3s and photos. Couldn't be easier. Also use FolderSync (free version) to automatically sync documents among devices.

Reactions: cloak.n.dagger

cloak.n.dagger

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Plug in to PC -> select disk drive -> drag and drop to sd card

Google Play is great in concept, and I like the player (hate the widget though), but it stinks in execution for me because my data bounces between bad and non-existent on my commute, so it buffers more than it streams. If I had a great consistent signal, it would probably be my default.

There is an option in Google Play for "Make Available Offline." If you select this option per song or per album, then the actual MP3 will download to your device (which I recommend doing when connected to WiFi or LTE if you have it). This will eliminate the need for a data connection (and thus any buffering) when listening to your music. I personally hate this feature and choose to download songs directly from Amazon MP3. Even when I offline the google music files, they download to the device as non-descriptive files, like 218.mp3. There is no song, album or artist info in these files, so moving them to another location and/or playing the files via another music player, is quite useless. I do like the Google Play interface, but it does not have as many features as the HTC Music app, which allows me to select my home TV as an output device (when on my home wifi network, of course)! There is no option for this in Google Play (that I can find).

Last edited:

youngusaplaya

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
There is an option in Google Play for "Make Available Offline." If you select this option per song or per album, then the actual MP3 will download to your device (which I recommend doing when connected to WiFi or LTE if you have it). This will eliminate the need for a data connection (and thus any buffering) when listening to your music. I personally hate this feature and choose to download songs directly from Amazon MP3. Even when I offline the google music files, they download to the device as non-descriptive files, like 218.mp3. There is no song, album or artist info in these files, so moving them to another location and/or playing the files via another music player, is quite useless. I do like the Google Play interface, but it does not have as many features as the HTC Music app, which allows me to select my home TV as an output device! There is no option for this in Google Play (that I can find).

Not per song so to say but playlist or album offline use

Sent from my EVO

kbp08tls

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
There is an option in Google Play for "Make Available Offline." If you select this option per song or per album, then the actual MP3 will download to your device (which I recommend doing when connected to WiFi or LTE if you have it). This will eliminate the need for a data connection (and thus any buffering) when listening to your music. I personally hate this feature and choose to download songs directly from Amazon MP3. Even when I offline the google music files, they download to the device as non-descriptive files, like 218.mp3. There is no song, album or artist info in these files, so moving them to another location and/or playing the files via another music player, is quite useless. I do like the Google Play interface, but it does not have as many features as the HTC Music app, which allows me to select my home TV as an output device (when on my home wifi network, of course)! There is no option for this in Google Play (that I can find).

I agree with you on the Make Available Offline option, the couple of times I've used it. That's why I just drag whatever I want over to my sd card. Also, the vast majority of my music is 320 kbps mp3 with some FLAC mixed in, and I believe Google Music gives it to you at a much lower quality (I read that somewhere, need to confirm) when you "Make Available Offline." It's certainly compressed when you stream it.
I've been a longtime PowerAmp user, but so far I've been impressed with the HTC player.

kronosqq

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
I went for the SD card route for music, although I do also have Google Music set up. As for playing it on my Evo I've been using Apollo, it's a great UI, I'd definitely recommend it.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

bar1203

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I use Google play to stream and keep about 20 of my favorite albums on my sd card for times when I have little to no data coverage.

rfs830

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I have subsonic set up to be a music streaming service that I run on my server at my house. I can access my music from any where. subsonic has and app that I used to download my mp3 files over to my pc.

I use itunes as I have and ipod that I use for my car. I may start to look at using doubletwist along with airplay to start putting music onto my phone.

yavwill

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Hi, for some reason most all of my files on my sd card are not being recognized, its weird. I've tried everything from rebooting the phone, taking the sd card out and putting it back in (after unmounting the card from the phone in settings, and having the phone turned off of course), downloading htc sync, wiping the memory card, and syncing the files back onto the phone (first with media sync checked, then with htc sync manager checked) and none of that has worked. I use Astro file manager to check the sd card, and it says 0 files in music/videos when that isn't true. And when I manually check music/video files, it shows like 10 mp3's in music but I have hundreds, but it does show the videos. Does anybody know what could be causing the issue? Any help would be appreciated, thanks for reading this.

Last edited:

541rrhse

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site

Anthonicia

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Hi, for some reason most all of my files on my sd card are not being recognized, its weird. I've tried everything from rebooting the phone, taking the sd card out and putting it back in (after unmounting the card from the phone in settings, and having the phone turned off of course), downloading htc sync, wiping the memory card, and syncing the files back onto the phone (first with media sync checked, then with htc sync manager checked) and none of that has worked. I use Astro file manager to check the sd card, and it says 0 files in music/videos when that isn't true. And when I manually check music/video files, it shows like 10 mp3's in music but I have hundreds, but it does show the videos. Does anybody know what could be causing the issue? Any help would be appreciated, thanks for reading this.

I'm having kinda the same issue when I copy songs/movies either from my work pc or from sd to sd2 on phone with astro file manager and root explorer for that matter.

Either they don't show up after completing the move or copy process or a majority of the file is missing making it unplayable. Other times I've copied a whole artist worth of music and it's flawless. Don't get it.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums