Developer Options: Background Process Limit

Quis89

Q&A Team
Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
Yes, but at the cost of probably causing even FEWER other apps to truly multitask.... they will more likely be frozen and reloaded. This option is not a cure.

By the way, there were 6 updates on Play again, I went in and clicked on update (all). The phone started the update. A minute later, the phone went to sleep because I didn't touch it. I was working on my Xoom for a while, turned the phone back "on" (it isn't off) about 16 minutes later. At least this time it didn't ABORT EVERYTHING like it did before, but that is because I didn't try to switch to some other app. Instead, it just FROZE EVERYTHING it had been doing. It had only updated two apps. Then it started over again with what it was doing.

This is just NOT proper behavior. NONE of my other devices do that- including the Nexus Xoom, which is also ICS, and has the same amount of RAM.

My experience has been no different than it was prior to changing the setting. It has only benefited me in the sense that I haven't had one Sense reload since changing it. Everything else has remained the same.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
I don't know... It may be unrelated. But I'm going on day two without one Sense reload. The only change I've made was to that option. I haven't noticed any other changes good or bad. Just that I haven't experienced a single Sense reload.

I have not changed the developer option and Sense has only restarted once since I got the phone a long time ago.

Quis89

Q&A Team
Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
I have not changed the developer option and Sense has only restarted once since I got the phone a long time ago.

Yea it seems all of our experiences differ. But for me personally... Going from about 3 a day to none at all with no other negative changes is a good thing. And the only alteration I've made was a change to this setting. Maybe I'll go back to the default option and see if anything changes.

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Yea it seems all of our experiences differ. But for me personally... Going from about 3 a day to none at all with no other negative changes is a good thing. And the only alteration I've made was a change to this setting. Maybe I'll go back to the default option and see if anything changes.

Yeah, let us know. The problem with most people who make these kinds of changes report back 3 hours after changing the setting and report everything is wonderful. You really need several days or a week to see if there is any difference.

Quis89

Q&A Team
Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, let us know. The problem with most people who make these kinds of changes report back 3 hours after changing the setting and report everything is wonderful. You really need several days or a week to see if there is any difference.

Will do. I've gone three full days with no sense reloads. I'm going to go back to the default setting now and report back in a few days.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Will do. I've gone three full days with no sense reloads. I'm going to go back to the default setting now and report back in a few days.

Yep- that is good testing. Make a change, see how it works for a few days, notice any differences. Put it back the way it was for a few days, see if the previous behavior returns. Most people just don't test properly and just report random results full of confounds.

Quis89

Q&A Team
Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
Went back to the default setting last night and experienced my first Sense reload about an hour ago. I'll continue for a few more days to see if it continues. But I went without any for 3 days on the 4 processes setting to 1 the first day I went back.

trusktr

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Limiting or disbaling background processes might make multitasking slower, but it will also prevent stupid apps (usually games and entertainment apps) from executing needless code in the background. Disabling background processes will also improve your battery life. I like to know what is running on my phone at all times, and so disabling background processes (thanks to this new option in Android 4.x.x) is the only way to really get a handle on what runs on your phone without rooting.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Limiting or disbaling background processes might make multitasking slower, but it will also prevent stupid apps (usually games and entertainment apps) from executing needless code in the background. Disabling background processes will also improve your battery life. I like to know what is running on my phone at all times, and so disabling background processes (thanks to this new option in Android 4.x.x) is the only way to really get a handle on what runs on your phone without rooting.

The vast majority of apps when they don't have the screen will simply sleep and use no CPU/battery at all.

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

If you really think this is limiting what is running you are sorely mistaken. Get OS Monitor from the Play store and then set this setting, you will still see those all running.

alangrus

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site

After spending way too much time on trying to make the Camera API work, I stumbled on to this thread. The clues about "Background process limit" were the key for me that got my app working. FINALLY! On my HTC One V phone, I went to Settings / Developer Options and set these parameters as shown:

DeveloperOptions.PNG

My local testing devices get the same good result using an Android App returned from today's PhoneGap Build online, these are:
HTC One V (Android 4.0.3)
Nexus 7 Tablet (Android 4.1.2)

I am happy to share a package of my CameraDemo App code, as used in PhoneGap's default 2.1 version build:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/101475647/CameraDemo.zip

In my desperation to make this work, I added some messages to track "state", you will see a "Device Resumed" Alert. So happy to see that as this means that my app us still running and now processes the picture I took. Definitely using DestinationType.FILE_URI to try to pass back the picture's file address, rather than the blob of base64 data.

Hope this helps some buddy.
- Alan Gruskoff
Digital Showcase LLC

cord27

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
I just read on some kind of forum, they all get blurred after searching for an answer that all these phone educated people do not know, (WOW)!, or do not want to answer, but I DID READ the standard processes was 20, and the best recommendation I saw was to set it at 4. I don't multitask, so I guess I will find out if I need to go back to the (standard limit)~~~~~

cord27

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
i have tried setting mine to different limits, and come to find after a very short time, it is set back at the standard limit, whatever that is.

Cord P

Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
I have a Samsung Galaxy Prevail LTE and had to use and set to 4 process, I use it as a last resort because its memory management has taken a crap on its front door as keeping an app going in the background on that phone is a nightmare. And it doesn't help if Samsung set foreground ram to 12Mb and I did the math (12; 20; 32; 40; 48; 56 then subtract 883) as 675Mb of headroom and or to have a memoryleak into. It all boils down to how the provider of the device sets the ram values, you are not exactly multi tasking if you have very little ram to do so. Long story short system "Standard Limit" means float or unlimited use and have yet to see any lag

JaymieB

Dec 30, 2015
Visit site
Have you had problems with your phone dying quickly or battery taking a long time to charge while having your developer option turned on?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz