Capacitive Menu Buttons are flaky...

DavidJ726

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I've only had my Evo LTE for a few days now, but I've noticed that the capacitive menu buttons don't always illuminate when the screen is on, and in a dimly lit area. Anyone else notice this, and is there a setting somewhere to adjust, although I really doubt that there is...

Thanks
David

AlternetConcept

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
From what I've read before on these forums,

the capacitive buttons don't light up if the sensor thinks there enough light for you to see the buttons. Off course your saying its not showing up in dimmer situations so I'm not sure..

As for changing the settings I don't think you can... maybe with root?

Either way .. I'd honestly wait it out for the first couple of OTA's where they'll fix hopefully a lot of the issues.

anon(280955)

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Yup. Same thing on my Rezound. Cover the sensor with your hand and they'll light right up. Point being, they won't light up if the phone thinks there is enough light for you to see them without them being backlit.

DavidJ726

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Interestingly enough, the phone is sitting on its back under a small flourescent light at my desk / cube, the screen is off, yet the capacitive buttons are "lit up" and clearly identifieable, and I definately have more light here than in the resturant.

I'm beginning to not trust the sensor in these devices to determine if the buttons needs to be illuminated...

I also noticed this with my OG EVO, but I wrote it off as it just being a minor annoyance. :(

tiggrev

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Interestingly enough, the phone is sitting on its back under a small flourescent light at my desk / cube, the screen is off, yet the capacitive buttons are "lit up" and clearly identifieable, and I definately have more light here than in the resturant.

It's likely you are just seeing the reflective nature of the capacitive buttons and they aren't actually backlit under your flourescent light. Outside or in normal room lighting, the buttons are easily visible and don't need to be backlit. Also, if your screen is off those buttons usually won't be lit.

I do agree, however, that there are conditions when the buttons don't light up and are hard to see - usually if the room is dimly lit or has overhead lights that are just bright enough to fool the ambient light sensor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjammmin007