A lengthy opinion of my HTC experience

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
My first smartphone was the HTC EVO3D. I thought it was a good device, but I noticed certain things that concerned me. Firstly the 3D playback was excellent. Every movie I watched was fluid and I didn?t see any crosstalk. 3D Recording on the other hand was horrible. I noticed the problem with the 2nd camera randomly changing its focal point and I think the SDK didn?t give the developer access to the 2nd camera? Taking 3D pictures was more bearable and didn?t have the strange behavior I noticed with the video recording.

Prior to launch, the phone was supposed to be able to record 1080p video, but HTC changed that number to 720p at the last minute before launch. However, the S3 processor it used was more than capable of handling 1080p recording. Of course this device also suffered from the frame rate drop in less than ideal lighting (when recording video). I remember on the original EVO, that there was a refresh rate cap that turned out to be limited by the software. HTC released an update to resolve that issue.

In spite of these minor issues, I still loved my EVO 3D. My first ?wtf?? moment happened when HTC released one of its first firmware updates. After rebooting, I noticed how the icons and text were sharper and less pixilated. Next, they release a security update. This time I noticed that the UI response was noticeably improved, with little to no lag at all. Then I remember that with HTC Hub there were a LOT of HTC created wallpapers I could download that weren?t available when I first had my EVO 3D. So here I am with a device that?s getting better over time.

Now that I?ve spent 2 weeks with my new EVO, I can say that this phone is a keeper for me. I have very little to fault this device with. The design and screen display are the best I?ve seen. The camera?s picture quality puts the EVO 3D?s to shame. Overall IMO the new EVO will share the top spot as the top Android smartphone at the moment. I can tell that HTC really put a lot of thought and planning into the new EVO from a hardware standpoint.

I?m really having concerns about HTC right now, but they are optimistic in nature. I am starting to wonder if history is repeating itself with this device. For now it seems like the multitasking is the main complaint for Sense 4.0 along with the amount of memory it consumes. Looking at the HTC One V review http://www.androidcentral.com/htc-one-v-review I can see that it runs smooth given the hardware specs. The camera app is identical for the most part BUT I noticed in other reviews that the task manager UI looks identical to stock ICS. I?m not a fan of the one used in the One S/X/EVO LTE. I think they wasted effort applying visual effects on a simple feature and that time could have been devoted to improving something else.

I seriously think the new EVO along with the prior EVO 3D has MUCH more potential than what its software is taking advantage of. This review mentioned that the camera sensor was made by Samsung, but the ImageSense technology was from HTC. The reviewer noticed that the videos were being encoded using parameters that were far lower than what the S4 processor could handle. So this gives me hope that it is possible to resolve the minor video recording fps issues with optimized software.

AnandTech - The HTC One X for AT&T Review

In conclusion, I will say based on my experience with two of HTC?s devices, I?m satisfied as a customer. They do support their user base pretty good. To date, they?ve done a good job of sending out updates to their devices to either fix issues or improve the performance (not to mention keeping their word on the BootLoader). Right now I?m wondering if their Software Development process is not mature enough to allow them to take full advantage of and optimize their software for the hardware layer on their mid to high range devices (this is a contradiction obviously because they did it with the One V). It seems they are finally focusing on quality control and reducing the number of devices it releases. I look forward to seeing what they may have in store later this year.

Mercury81

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Great review,I think a lot people cut HTC short for this new series of android I truly know if there are issues they will be resolved as they always have in the past.
HTC had built a great reputation for the line of phones and I for one am very fortunate to be able to enjoy and use them during these incredible times of smart phone technology. :):beer:;):p:thumbup:
from Evo4GLTE on Android Central

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
I can't say I am anywhere near as optimistic as the OP, but I still like the posting, anyway :)

I am still holding out hope that HTC will do something about the multitasking... it really does seem to be the only big problem for most people. But as long as they keep saying it is "normal" or "works as designed" and that kinda stuff, they are going to continue to alienate and piss off the more proficient users.

Really, I have only had three issues- One of them (the MAJOR F-up with the WiFi "Best Performance Mode") is now not an issue anymore. The other (WiFi disconnecting in sleep) is still not completely solved, but a lot better. The memory management/multitasking is the big elephant in the room. Otherwise, I have been VERY pleased with the device, it is a top-notch build, best screen ever on a phone, a camera that perhaps no other handset can exceed, great audio quality, fantastic battery life, fast, etc, etc.

Saneless

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
That's my problem with HTC as well: if they didn't say multitasking was performing fine I wouldn't be worried. If they said it needed work I'd have some hope

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I've played with it and it's a sweet running phone. Great specs and good features but some of these features need work...like multitasking but even that's not a deal breaker. The deal breaker is that it's U.G.L.Y.! I know, I know... I can always put it in a case. But sometimes, I like to go naked so this phone is not for me.

Mercury81

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
I've played with it and it's a sweet running phone. Great specs and good features but some of these features need work...like multitasking but even that's not a deal breaker. The deal breaker is that it's U.G.L.Y.! I know, I know... I can always put it in a case. But sometimes, I like to go naked so this phone is not for me.

To me the design is a delightful elegant form,I think clearly beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

MexRex

May 26, 2012
Visit site
The major gripes I hear from people about this phone will be fixed eventually by software patches. Some people dropped this phone too soon and went Samsung S3 because of the bugs. I'm pretty sure that phone will have quirks and bugs of it's own.

Mercury81

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
The major gripes I hear from people about this phone will be fixed eventually by software patches. Some people dropped this phone too soon and went Samsung S3 because of the bugs. I'm pretty sure that phone will have quirks and bugs of it's own.

No doubt they went for the latest ...but we stuck with the greatest...:):thumbup:

jmquint00

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
come on guys......remember what happened with the original EVO and the 30fps lock on video playback at the beginning, how HTC....oh thats the way its supposed to be and blah blah, and later they changed it. This is the same thing, if we bug them about it they will change it with the next major update. If not as always there is root and DEV...

EVO28312

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Root and devs cannot fix the multitasking problem. That'll be up to HTC if they decide its an issue which as they stated its working as intended.

kiwicarlos741

May 16, 2012
Visit site
Just wait till everyone starts complaining about the radio problems and everything else that was messed up in the prior s1-2. I can't even begin to say how annoying it is when I'd have to switch the radios on and off back and fourth everytime I wanted to use internet, 4g or regular signal in general on the galaxy s2. Very happy with my EVO LTE ^_^

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

l00natic71

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
I've had the phone reboot a couple 3 times. The phone has been sitting on my desk, I hear a vibration, then I see the HTC boot up screen. I've sent the report back to HTC, but was not able to see what caused the reboot. The multitasking is not a big deal for me. What's a big deal to me is that dismissing the apps, just hides them. If I dismiss the browser from recent apps, and reopen it. It opens the last page that I had open... as opposed to being a new instance. That's one thing I miss from the Nexus S, closing the browser, now it seems that I just hide it. Another annoyance is "downloads" missing from app drawer. To see downloads, I need to open the browser, then go to menu, and select "downloads".I have set wifi to stay on even on sleep... but it disconnects. If I don't use the phone for a while and open it, various apps show "lost connection".. after a few seconds, it connects and everything works. Battery life is outstanding. The screen is absolutely gorgeous. One nice benefit is that SprintTV now works over wifi

JUNGLEDROID350

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
If don't like the evo just return it , like cars its all come with they own problem but it can be fix that is why there warranties behind them and great devs to help us break the rules

JUNGLEDROID350

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm a long time android user and hacker since G1 , I have deal with all the OS and by far android gave me the challenge to go behind. Only used HTC phones they are easy to work with and in my knowledge unbreakable in the software point

bigrey81

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I've had the phone reboot a couple 3 times. The phone has been sitting on my desk, I hear a vibration, then I see the HTC boot up screen. I've sent the report back to HTC, but was not able to see what caused the reboot. The multitasking is not a big deal for me. What's a big deal to me is that dismissing the apps, just hides them. If I dismiss the browser from recent apps, and reopen it. It opens the last page that I had open... as opposed to being a new instance. That's one thing I miss from the Nexus S, closing the browser, now it seems that I just hide it. Another annoyance is "downloads" missing from app drawer. To see downloads, I need to open the browser, then go to menu, and select "downloads".I have set wifi to stay on even on sleep... but it disconnects. If I don't use the phone for a while and open it, various apps show "lost connection".. after a few seconds, it connects and everything works. Battery life is outstanding. The screen is absolutely gorgeous. One nice benefit is that SprintTV now works over wifi
try hard reset the phone for rebooting issues

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
linda6969