WiFi Issues

digmys

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I little update on my scenario. I had the issue of WiFi dropping while I was using it, ONLY at home, and specifically downstairs. At work there are no issues at all.

The OTA helped, it helped a really good bit, but I was still seeing drops. I came across a screenshot on XDA in the One X forums of their WiFi settings page, and there was an option to drop connections with low signal which was default to ON.

For some reason the EVO does not have this option, but I am guessing it is still set to ON by default, like on the One X we just CANT CHANGE IT :mad: . Signal downstairs in my house was awful on the EVO unless I turned on "Best WiFi Performance" which boosted the reception a good bit and held the connection perfectly, but as we all know, destroyed the battery life.

At work, we have routers on the ceiling literally every 20 ft, and upstairs at home, signal is great and never drops (the router is upstairs).

(Check your signal with your router or the Wifi Analyzer App, my EVO would show 2/3 bars when it was dropping but my router showed a signal quality level of only 5-7%).

So I decided I needed to do something downstairs. Long story short, I extended my network with an additional router using the same SSID downstairs.

Signal quality is great, speeds are great, and no more drops on the EVO and all devices switch seamlessly between the two routers depending on which one is giving the strongest signal. Not to mention, all devices are benefiting from the much faster speeds all over the house, not just the new EVO.

So far, for me, Problem Solved :D

NastyNeil

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
That is awesome and I am glad it worked for you. I can't justify laying out money to buy an additional router for my phone though. Never had this problem before. Nothing else in my house had this problem. I am going to try moving my router to the middle floor of my house and also try setting it to G only. If that doesn't work I am just going to get a new phone.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Magman007

May 12, 2012
Visit site
Both work and home and I am having wifi drop issues after the OTA "fix" both routers are strong, never had issues dropping on the iphone, laptop, or other wifi enabled device.

I am growing increasingly disappointed with this issue. I got the phone at launch, so what are my options? Go to a sprint corporate store or do I have to send it to HTC now?

NastyNeil

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
So I got off phone with sprint just now. They are sending me a refurbished phone. I'm pretty annoyed.

Coorsleftfield

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
The Wi-Fi in these phones is weak compared to a laptop so you will get drops of you on the fringe.

For the people reporting drops, if you go to a public Wi-Fi hotspot does it drop? If not, it's your home setup, not the phone.

NastyNeil

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
So I took the suggestion of switching to the just G setting. So far, the only place the connection is spotty is in the far part of my bedroom upstairs in my house, and the only place I lose connection entirely is in the bathroom which is in my bedroom. My WIFI router is in the basement of my house. My house has 3 stories. Basement where the router is, the middle level which is where I am most of the day, and the upstairs. In the past with other phones including my EVO3D I never had this problem of dropping WIFI connection at all. Could it be that this WIFI antenna on this phone is just weaker? The G only connection seems to have stopped the dropping on the middle floor of my house. I am going to have Comcast come out and move the Modem and Cable connections to the second floor of my house rather than keep it in the basement to help with this issue. The only reason I thought the phone was the problem all along was because my MacBook Pro, XBOX 360, iPod touch, Wii, Printer, LG Smart TV, and any other WIFI device in my house have never had this problem. I am able to get much more stable connections in a public WIFI than here.

Could it all really come down to a weaker WIFI antenna and placement of router in my house?

Second part to this is that Sprint just today is mailing me out a replacement phone. It is a refurb, which I am not too happy about.

So my question to all of you, and I am sorry that this post is so long, is if I should try and see how this "new" phone works when I get it, or just send it back right when it gets here?
I am glad they were willing to send me a phone, but I just don't like the idea of having to get a refurbished phone already. The phone is barely a month old. Has anyone had any experience getting a refurb and being more than happy with it?

I appreciate all responses here.

NastyNeil

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I guess you have to take the good with the bad in setting the WIFI router to G only. It has stopped my spotty WIFI connection, but at the same time it is defeating the purpose of having a dual band router. My old router was G only and whenever I would use the microwave, it would disrupt the router rendering it useless until the microwave was finished. When I got my dual band router and had it set to both G and N it would prevent that from happening, but at the same time it caused spotty WIFI on my EVO LTE. I now have it set to G only and have not had the constant dropping off, but now the microwave problem is back. I guess I can live with it since the microwave isn't always on, but it is still an annoyance.

Anyone else experiencing similar issues?
Edit/Delete Message

youngusaplaya

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yeah after the update my wifi won't disconnect when I leave the house I have to turn off wifi to even establish a data connection and considering my phone is locked this gets really annoying

Sent from my EVO

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
I have a Belkin Wireless N router. This may be a stupid question, but can it be set to run only G? Thank you in advance.

I am not all that familiar with Belkin, but most N routers do have an option to run "G" only. It is worth a try, just to see if it makes any difference.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
The OTA helped, it helped a really good bit, but I was still seeing drops. I came across a screenshot on XDA in the One X forums of their WiFi settings page, and there was an option to drop connections with low signal which was default to ON. For some reason the EVO does not have this option, but I am guessing it is still set to ON by default, like on the One X we just CANT CHANGE IT :mad: .

That wouldn't surprise me. And it might very well be like that. But I can say that at home or work, mine doesn't drop even if the WiFi signal is low (this is in "G").

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I have a Linksys WRT610N router. My router is in the far end of the second story of a two story contemporary house. It is configured to be in N mode only. G mode is disabled.

My previous EVO 0G 4G and EVO 3D connected reliably between 12 to 16 Mbps anywhere in my house. My wife and I now both have EVO 4G LTE's. They both connect between 24 to 26 Mbps and are obviously impressively faster than previous phones with the same router. I can even get a solid fast connection outside in the far corner of my yard some 300 feet from the router.

I can connect reliably to dozens of WiFi sites around Atlanta. When I return home I lock on to my home WiFi as I turn in to my driveway. I can sympathize with the problems I see here, but for our two EVO 4G LTE's life is good.

HTC EVO 4G LTE

Last edited:

digmys

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
For those saying they haven't had this problem on other phones. I just booted up my Evo3D and OG. The 3D had "Best WiFi Performance" on by default and I never had a problem with it. The OG didn't have this setting (running CM7).

Like i said, with the LTE, setting best wifi performance to ON totally solves the problem for me, but drops my battery life to 12ish hours. Granted, that is about all I got out of the 3D anyway, and it looks like it was ON by default and on every day I owned the phone (don't remember changing it).

Also, I have several old routers laying around, I definitely didn't go buy another one just to solve this issue on the phone, and agree buying another router should not be what we have to do to solve this issue.

But maybe an old linksys router from eBay for a few bucks to improve the wifi performance of all devices in your house, including your LTE? If none of the other fixes work for you, they surely did not for me.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
For those saying they haven't had this problem on other phones. I just booted up my Evo3D and OG. The 3D had "Best WiFi Performance" on by default and I never had a problem with it. The OG didn't have this setting (running CM7).

Like i said, with the LTE, setting best wifi performance to ON totally solves the problem for me, but drops my battery life to 12ish hours. Granted, that is about all I got out of the 3D anyway, and it looks like it was ON by default and on every day I owned the phone (don't remember changing it).

I do not believe that is correct. The default for "Best WiFi Performance" was "off" for the Evo 3D, just like it is on the Evo LTE. But I don't think it destroys the battery on the Evo 3D like it does on the 3D.

BigSushi

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Ok here is the fix that has worked (so far) for me. I have the CISCO E3200 Dual Band. I did not want to hassel with reconfiging to G only on the router since I have so many other things connected and DISH Network Hopper/Joey is a pain to reset.
But I remembered that the LTE has a section in the settings to select what band you want Auto, 5Ghz or 2.4Ghz

Settings> Wif-Fi> Menu > Advanced> Wi-Fi freauency band> 2.4GHz only
Other settings in Advanced areKeep Wi-Fi on during Sleep > Always
Best Wi-Fi Performace > Off

My Wi-Fi has been solid since I made these changes since yesterday evening and worked all morning long. I hope that this helps others.

vbockius

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I posted this in another wifi thread...fixed my wifi dropping issue...

I was dropping wifi at home also both when phone slept and sometimes intermittently while using...just playing around i turned off the wifi network notification in the wifi settings (there are 2, top one was checked 2nd one wasn't) When I unchecked the top one, wifi disconnected then reconnected, and I haven't had a disconnect since....I have lots of wifi networks in my neighborhood, maybe network discovery was seeing all the options? It seems to have fixed my issue, maybe it will work for some of you....

Anthonicia

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Had the WiFi dropping, 3g connecting, back and forth issue on my old evolte. Exchanged it for a new one and it doesn't have the same issue.

At work we have an older linksys router that sometimes won't allow me to connect. Would get stuck on getting ip address and never connect. What I did was take a screenshot of my ip address, subnet mask, default DNS 1 & 2 and all that when it did connect. The next time it got stuck on getting ip address I changed my WiFi from dhcp to static and entered in the info from my screenshot of network info.

U need to have WiFi manager or WiFi analyzer to get the ipconfig data for the screenshot I believe. It's in the advanced menus for any app, so u may need to look for it depending on experience.

But I haven't had an issue at all since changing to static ip. This went back to my og EVO days too. Just always figured it was my phone and not the router. Tried all the basic things u would think of like unplugging router, resetting both, just never really thought about it being dhcp related.

Well, I've posted a lot of WiFi fixes on here and new threads still pop up. I hope this helps someone. Probably see an exact thread on what I just explained soon enough. Guess people don't search for existing threads on here. Over at xda u get hell for doing that. Good luck to u all.

pmillr21

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
Have never had this issue until I got the OTA update 2 days ago. Could always connect and stay connected to wi-fi. Now I can not even connect. No clue what the OTA did to my phone, but the continual searching for wi-fi is killing my battery life. Anybody have the reverse effect since the update????

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21