Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 46
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Performance Analysis - EVO LTE vs. US GS3 - EVO LTE faster...

    So if we look at the, very comprehensive, performance analysis done by Anandtech on the US variants of the Galaxy S 3 (AT&T and Tmobile versions) thus far. Two things become evident.
    Performance Analysis  - EVO LTE vs. US GS3  - EVO LTE faster...-image002.jpg

    1. The EVO LTE is faster in 9/11 tests. And while we're talking about academically faster (most of the tests were close enough to justify saying "they all preform about the same"), there were some tests where there was quite a gulf in performance.

    2. Given that we're talking about basically the same hardware in both devices (SOC - S4 with an Adreno 225) There is some differentiatior that, I'm guessing, has to be in software to cause the difference.

    How did I come to this conclusion?

    Because there's no Sprint variant to test, I took the results from the AT&T and Tmobile versions and averaged them. Yes, this is not perfect, yes, I understand that you shouldn't average averages - and I'd much rather have a sample of real Galaxy S3 Sprint data...but as I'm very sure that Anand's team has meticulously gone through their performance tests, and their good about ensuring that their data is accurate -

    Some highlights:

    Evo Performance wins:
    Sunspider Javascritps - by a whopping 11% margin. Maybe something to do with the lack of customization from code ported over from quad-core Exynos version - but that's pretty dramatic.
    Vellamo -by 8.9%. This one confuses the hell out of me. vellamo is Quallcoms own benchmark - so both krait chips should preform equally.
    Linpack single thread - 9.8% and multi-threaded at 10.8%
    Gl Bench (720p offscreen for both Egypt and Pro) were pretty comporable - HTC pulled away by 3% in both cases. Makes sense, same GPU in both chips
    Iperf Wifi Performance - by 42% this one's a killer, and probalby has more to do with the on SOC wifi solution in the HTC vs. the add-in solution employed by the GS3...but man.

    GS3 Performance wins:
    Browser mark - by 10%. How on earth it managed a win in this spot when it lost equally in Javascript performance is beyond me - but a win none the less
    Basemark ES 2.0 - I wouldn't necessarily classify this as a win - both phones performed about the same with both trading off 2% wins in opposite tests. The GS3 didn't loose here though - so I'm counting it as a win

    It'll be interesting to see how performance changes with software updates. Both have critical flaws that need to be addressed (EVO - multi-tasking, and GS3 sub-par wifi performance) - but I'm more interested to compare the Sprint variant to the EVO LTE with regard to LTE speed - hopefully, the Sprint GS3 won't suffer similar LTE performance (to wifi performance) - but I'll keep my eye out.

    Jack
    Thanked by 5:
  2. #2  

    Default

    Awesome I new the Evo4GLTE was faster than a Sammy's S3:beer::thumbup:

    from Evo4GLTE on Android Central
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Performance Analysis - EVO LTE vs. US GS3 - EVO LTE faster.

    wow good job. I was thinking that extra 2 gb of ram on the S3 was going to help it be faster. The big one of those benchmarks is the wifi performance, which translates to real world performance.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default

    hope it was helpful

    Sent from my Evo LTE using 3g...because Sprint needs to get their collective asses in gear
  5. #5  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by somdave2005 View Post
    wow good job. I was thinking that extra 2 gb of ram on the S3 was going to help it be faster. The big one of those benchmarks is the wifi performance, which translates to real world performance.
    The RAM will mostly translate to better performance when multitasking. That's really the only area of the GS3 that I believe bests the EVO LTE. Anyway, what an amazing string of phones for Sprint. Nothing for a while and then suddenly the Galaxy Nexus, the EVO LTE and now the GS3. My worry here is cannibalization...

    Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

    Default

    Agreed...its pretty obvious that any performance challenges we see from these devices will be software related. Anecdotally, sense feels lighter than touchwiz. .but its at the expense of multitasking, given a choice...I'd rather go also and loose some of the "cool" in favor of being able to do more at once... Though admittidly, I'm crazy ADD. ..the populace as a whole won't ever care as much as I do.

    Sent from my Evo LTE using 3g...because Sprint needs to get their collective asses in gear
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default Re: Performance Analysis - EVO LTE vs. US GS3 - EVO LTE faster.

    Quote Originally Posted by somdave2005 View Post
    wow good job. I was thinking that extra 2 gb of ram on the S3 was going to help it be faster. The big one of those benchmarks is the wifi performance, which translates to real world performance.
    oops - sorry I missed that - I didn't do much, just looked at the detail Anand and crew were kind enough to put together.

    Yeah, wifi performance is a head scratcher on the Galaxy S 3 - I haven't seen international benchmarks, so I don't know if the same decision was made abroad - but that's a real potential problem if it is (as speculated) a hardware compatability/intereference issue - here's hoping it's a software problem.

    Jack
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

    Default

    Hey does anyone e have a copy of base mark they could run for me on the LTE? I'd like to see the performance difference, if any, between it and the OneX

    Sent from my Evo LTE using 3g...because Sprint needs to get their collective asses in gear
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Performance Analysis - EVO LTE vs. US GS3 - EVO LTE faster.

    Quote Originally Posted by somdave2005 View Post
    wow good job. I was thinking that extra 2 gb of ram on the S3 was going to help it be faster. The big one of those benchmarks is the wifi performance, which translates to real world performance.
    Same here, for sure I thought the 2GB of RAM in the SGS3 would smoke the EVO LTE or the One X but both HTC phones seem to do better on Quadrant than the SGS3, not really a big deal IMO though.
  10. #10  
    crxssi's Avatar
    Linux: The power beneath

    Posts
    1,880 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,199 Global Posts

    Default Re: Performance Analysis - EVO LTE vs. US GS3 - EVO LTE faster.

    Quote Originally Posted by lsutigers View Post
    Same here, for sure I thought the 2GB of RAM in the SGS3 would smoke the EVO LTE or the One X but both HTC phones seem to do better on Quadrant than the SGS3, not really a big deal IMO though.
    Increasing memory in a computer generally does nothing to improve performance, despite the common misconception. It only comes into play when the machine is LOW on memory, in which case having more RAM can return performance to "normal".

    (Technically, it can improve performance a bit by when extra RAM is used to cache program and file data; but that will not show in single application use or most benchmarking)
    Click "Thanks" and/or "Like" button on posts where someone helped you or you liked the posting. Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Evo LTE, Evo 3D, Evo 4G
  11. #11  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by slackerjack View Post
    Hey does anyone e have a copy of base mark they could run for me on the LTE? I'd like to see the performance difference, if any, between it and the OneX

    Sent from my Evo LTE using 3g...because Sprint needs to get their collective asses in gear
    Performance Analysis  - EVO LTE vs. US GS3  - EVO LTE faster...-uploadfromtaptalk1340487732554.jpg

    Sent from EVO 4G LTE
    Thanked by:
    crxssi likes this.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
    Increasing memory in a computer generally does nothing to improve performance, despite the common misconception. It only comes into play when the machine is LOW on memory, in which case having more RAM can return performance to "normal".

    (Technically, it can improve performance a bit by when extra RAM is used to cache program and file data; but that will not show in single application use or most benchmarking)
    Pretty good summation, I think some of the common misconceptions around ram to system performance came from people looking at something like game performance where, to your point, performance can be directly impacted by being able to load larger amounts of data into the CPU pipe rather than relying on your hdd (which is far more limited in speed considering L1/2 speeds) to keep data streaming through the CPU as it is as other assets are being processed by the gpu/API

    Jack

    Sent from my Evo LTE using 3g...because Sprint needs to get their collective asses in gear
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lsutigers View Post
    Same here, for sure I thought the 2GB of RAM in the SGS3 would smoke the EVO LTE or the One X but both HTC phones seem to do better on Quadrant than the SGS3, not really a big deal IMO though.
    yeah. Quadrant remains to be the bain of my discontent ...the most commonly used performance benchmark with the most inconsistent results for no reason what so ever. Still..I'd agree that this phone does provide at least the most consistently averages scores across the last three devices I've owned (all Samsung with an HTC sensation thrown in because I hate myself)...the following represents a pretty consistent number for this device

    Sent from my Evo LTE using 3g...because Sprint needs to get their collective asses in gear
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Performance Analysis  - EVO LTE vs. US GS3  - EVO LTE faster...-uploadfromtaptalk1340511256953.jpg  
  14. #14  
    crxssi's Avatar
    Linux: The power beneath

    Posts
    1,880 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,199 Global Posts

    Default Re: Performance Analysis - EVO LTE vs. US GS3 - EVO LTE faster.

    Quote Originally Posted by slackerjack View Post
    yeah. Quadrant remains to be the bain of my discontent ...the most commonly used performance benchmark with the most inconsistent results for no reason what so ever.
    Don't let it bother you too much. Benchmarks are just tools. Something like a "Quadrant" total score is pretty damn meaningless, anyway. The total score is just a group of arbitrary performance metrics added together with weights that have absolutely no meaning in the real world. With reasonably diverse criteria and reasonably close CPU/GPU/Chipsets, one can make a benchmark that will show show any device as "winning".
    Click "Thanks" and/or "Like" button on posts where someone helped you or you liked the posting. Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Evo LTE, Evo 3D, Evo 4G
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

    Default

    Oh I know. I'm in the game business, so I'm routinely frustrated by terrible benchmarks...this ones just infuriating because of it popularity!

    Jack

    Sent from my Evo LTE using 3g...because Sprint needs to get their collective asses in gear
  16. #16  
    jfenton's Avatar

    Posts
    497 Posts
    Global Posts
    631 Global Posts

    Default Re: Performance Analysis - EVO LTE vs. US GS3 - EVO LTE faster.

    My S3 WIFI is way faster than the EVO LTE was , perhaps because the WIFI simply works whereas in the EVO it froze constantly after loading 1/4 or so of the green bar.

    I know test numbers don't lie, but in everyday use, I find the S3 to be faster than my EVO was. Keep in mind that I don't game nor watch videos...I email text and receive and make a lot of phone calls in a day along with being on the web a lot when I travel.
  17. #17  
    crxssi's Avatar
    Linux: The power beneath

    Posts
    1,880 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,199 Global Posts

    Default Re: Performance Analysis - EVO LTE vs. US GS3 - EVO LTE faster.

    Quote Originally Posted by jfenton View Post
    My S3 WIFI is way faster than the EVO LTE was , perhaps because the WIFI simply works whereas in the EVO it froze constantly after loading 1/4 or so of the green bar.
    I have zero problems with WiFi staying connected during use. And zero WiFi performance problems (it is as fast as the spec/theory). You might have been having problems listed in one of these threads:

    WiFi Issues
    Wifi harware issue?
    WIFI and BlueTooth on together causing the bouncy signal
    Click "Thanks" and/or "Like" button on posts where someone helped you or you liked the posting. Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Evo LTE, Evo 3D, Evo 4G
  18. #18  

    Default

    Zero WiFi issues here.... Need for speed get the Evo4GLTE and be ahead of the rest...:beer:

    from Evo4GLTE on Android Central
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jfenton View Post
    My S3 WIFI is way faster than the EVO LTE was , perhaps because the WIFI simply works whereas in the EVO it froze constantly after loading 1/4 or so of the green bar.

    I know test numbers don't lie, but in everyday use, I find the S3 to be faster than my EVO was. Keep in mind that I don't game nor watch videos...I email text and receive and make a lot of phone calls in a day along with being on the web a lot when I travel.
    That's extremely odd...wonder if there was some conflict with your router or specific setup? That would be an interesting project for someone with free time...to compile a list of all the Evo wifi issues and associated router/configuration settings and see if there are any consistencies that might explain it. For instance....on my galaxy S 2....i routinely had issues with wifi performance with a Cisco Valet. .but when i swapped routers...all was peachy keen....

    Regardless, glad you're having luck with your new device. The point of this thread wasn't to imperically state which phone was better, rather to note the oddity of having basically the same hardware perform differently (to a pretty large margin in some cases...10% performance gulf is insane to me....but I am a bit of a hardware geek). The fact of the matter is...both devices perform very well. I don't think you could go wrong with any top tier Android phone in this generation (of what weve see so far).

    Jack



    Sent from my Evo LTE using 3g...because Sprint needs to get their collective asses in gear
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Performance Analysis - EVO LTE vs. US GS3 - EVO LTE faster.

    This is my quadrant score on my LTEvo 3G...pretty good score, abs if anyone can tell me exactly home the LTEvo's multitask is crippled? Can't figure out now to attach a jpeg screendshot from my phone, but I got 5350 on my quadrant benchmark.
  21. #21  

    Default

    Window phones only have 512 mb but can handle lot of high performance games even a 1gb of ram phone couldn't. As a hacker evo 4g LTE is a beast multitasking issues can be fix. I played max Payne and it run smooth as butter

    Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums
  22. #22  

    Default

    Ever since I rooted my phone and do some hacking the multitasking problem is no more and none of my apps even close it make feel like I have a web os phone

    Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

    Default Re: Performance Analysis - EVO LTE vs. US GS3 - EVO LTE faster.

    Took me a second on the WebOs comment - then I hit my "multitask" button and the cards came up - good reference



    Jack
  24. #24  

    Default

    Just got my SGS3 in my hand for my work emails etc...this thing is nice but camera is not as good as my LTE, will play around a little and see...SGS3 display can't compete with EVO...I still love my EVO more which is my personal phone...


    Sent from EVO 4G LTE
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Performance Analysis  - EVO LTE vs. US GS3  - EVO LTE faster...-uploadfromtaptalk1340838400305.jpg  
    crxssi likes this.
  25. #25  

    Default Re: Performance Analysis - EVO LTE vs. US GS3 - EVO LTE faster.

    Quote Originally Posted by JUNGLEDROID350 View Post
    Ever since I rooted my phone and do some hacking the multitasking problem is no more and none of my apps even close it make feel like I have a web os phone

    Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums
    hacking... hahahahahah
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

B