Recover photos after factory reset? HTC Evo 4G LTE

karenavocado

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Hi. My phone wasn't working (couldn't place calls/was getting garbled feedback sound) so I went to the Sprint store. I've had the HTC Evo 4G LTE less than a month. They said let's try a factory reset, maybe it's a conflict with an app. Not worried about contacts since I set up a specific gmail to handle contacts that I want to keep. I asked, will I lose my photos? They said no. So I said, OK let's do it. (Previously I had a HTC Evo 4G and it had a microSD card.)

Previously I've also been searching through the phone settings trying to get things to work as I would expect. I've had trouble getting the device to connect to my PC and had just gotten it connected Thursday to load on some music. I just want to load it as a drive and my copy files back and forth, not use fancy HTC Sync software. I hadn't taken a backup of photos, and am realizing now I didn't set (or reset) Dropbox to sync photos after all those efforts.

A couple more questions with the Sprint tech after the reset, which did clear the phone problem, and I realize - hey where are my photos. Aren't they on the card? Tech dude #2 leans over and says well the phone doesn't come with a microSD card. Oh. A month after buying it - I didn't remember that. My photos are gone.

Since I got home I've been searching and trying various photo recovery software: wondershare, recuva, and a few others. But since the phone loads as a portable device, the programs are not "reading" the device as a drive to be able to scan it. I don't see photos in my Google+ account.

Does anyone have any other ideas?
Thanks.

devgrp

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Yeah they are gone if they were save to the phone. You probably wont be able to recover them since the drive was already written over by the factory reset

Mercury81

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Rule number one with Sprint is always do a back up and do it often. The first thing they do when you have an issue and go into the store,no matter what it is, they do a reset. They should have did a back up for you before they did the reset though.

from Evo4GLTE on Android Central

flyhighx

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Any chance you signed up for the free 25Gb of storage space that Dropbox is offering with this phone? If you did, Dropbox has an option to auto upload your pictures and videos every time you take one. At least set it to do so on wifi. If so, your pics are safe in sound in the cloud in your dropbox account. Good luck.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I use photobucket to sync all my photo's. Sure its not gonna help you now but for the future it can come in handy.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
Hi. My phone wasn't working (couldn't place calls/was getting garbled feedback sound) so I went to the Sprint store. I've had the HTC Evo 4G LTE less than a month. They said let's try a factory reset, maybe it's a conflict with an app. Not worried about contacts since I set up a specific gmail to handle contacts that I want to keep. I asked, will I lose my photos? They said no. So I said, OK let's do it. (Previously I had a HTC Evo 4G and it had a microSD card.)

Previously I've also been searching through the phone settings trying to get things to work as I would expect. I've had trouble getting the device to connect to my PC and had just gotten it connected Thursday to load on some music. I just want to load it as a drive and my copy files back and forth, not use fancy HTC Sync software. I hadn't taken a backup of photos, and am realizing now I didn't set (or reset) Dropbox to sync photos after all those efforts.

A couple more questions with the Sprint tech after the reset, which did clear the phone problem, and I realize - hey where are my photos. Aren't they on the card? Tech dude #2 leans over and says well the phone doesn't come with a microSD card. Oh. A month after buying it - I didn't remember that. My photos are gone.

Since I got home I've been searching and trying various photo recovery software: wondershare, recuva, and a few others. But since the phone loads as a portable device, the programs are not "reading" the device as a drive to be able to scan it. I don't see photos in my Google+ account.

Does anyone have any other ideas?
Thanks.

Sorry, your photos are gone. In theory, pieces of them might remain on the internal storage, but you can't mount that and analyze that like you would an external device. There are a few apps that might be able to help, if you also rooted your phone. For example: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...undelete&feature=search_result&token=fBWEtdOL I doubt the internal filesystem is fat, it is probably ext4, so that is probably not going to work, anyway. This one says support for ext4: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...verylite&feature=search_result&token=f-k1B72X.. Again, I wouldn't count on it.

Don't feel too bad, though. Even if you had an SD card in there, it would ask you only once if you wanted to start putting the photos on the card. Had you answered "no", you would have still lost all new photos from that point. Plus, unless you had moved all the photos off the internal storage when you put the SD card in, you would have lost those too.

Reactions: karenavocado