Battery life exceptional only after 1st day?!?

htc evo 4g

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Yesterday i decided to factory reset my 2nd evo hoping that it would increase battery life, keep from getting hot, reboots etc. After i did that i noticed that my battery life had increased through the roof and at that point i started to fall in love with my eVo even more. Well today the battery died and after almost 3 hours of full charging (and leaving it plugged in for another half hour) i expected the battery to still be superior to my expectations. Well, that wasnt the case. Even though the battery level was better than intended, it is still on the same level as my 1st evo that i returned (based on my screenshots that i kept in dropbox). Could the fact that I had gotten excellent battery life yesterday had been a fluke? After it fully charged, i didnt really use it other than basic web surfing and brief fb-ing. Attached are 2 pics, the first one was the result of yesterdays awesome battery life. 88% w 3h 43 minutes. The 2nd image is moments ago. 88% w 1h 40 min.. Any suggestions tips, etc? Am I just getting ahead of myself over nothing since it's only 88%?

Even though im not getting super excellent battery life like some of you evo owners out there that are getting almost 2 days w/o charge, i was happy that i achieved 20 hours yesterday til noon today.

thanks!!

Last edited:

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Yesterday i decided to factory reset my 2nd evo hoping that it would increase battery life, keep from getting hot, reboots etc. After i did that i noticed that my battery life had increased through the roof and at that point i started to fall in love with my eVo even more. Well today the battery died and after almost 3 hours of full charging (and leaving it plugged in for another half hour) i expected the battery to still be superior to my expectations. Well, that wasnt the case. Even though the battery level was better than intended, it is still on the same level as my 1st evo that i returned (based on my screenshots that i kept in dropbox). Could the fact that I had gotten excellent battery life yesterday had been a fluke? After it fully charged, i didnt really use it other than basic web surfing and brief fb-ing. Attached are 2 pics, the first one was the result of yesterdays awesome battery life. 88% w 3h 43 minutes. The 2nd image is moments ago. 88% w 1h 40 min.. Any suggestions tips, etc? Am I just getting ahead of myself over nothing since it's only 88%?

Even though im not getting super excellent battery life like some of you evo owners out there that are getting almost 2 days w/o charge, i was happy that i achieved 20 hours yesterday til noon today.

thanks!!

Anyone that gets 2 days out of that phone isn't using the phone much at all

*swyped from the evo so excuse any typos*

RyDawgBoston

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
It really depends on your service and if your phone looks hard for reception, weather app, push notifications, live wallpaper, best wifi option on, etc...

When I'm home with bad service and roaming, I get 4 hours till dead with average use. 2 to 3 with heavy use.

In a good area with the same use, I get 8 to 12 hours.

kronosqq

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
Anyone that gets 2 days out of that phone isn't using the phone much at all

Eh, I could get a full 24 hours of heavy usage if I actually stayed up long enough to see it happen. If I lowered the brightness down from full skipped out on the gaming, and used wifi as much as possible I bet I could double it fairly easily.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Eh, I could get a full 24 hours of heavy usage if I actually stayed up long enough to see it happen. If I lowered the brightness down from full skipped out on the gaming, and used wifi as much as possible I bet I could double it fairly easily.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

What do you consider "heavy usage"

htc evo 4g

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
It really depends on your service and if your phone looks hard for reception, weather app, push notifications, live wallpaper, best wifi option on, etc...

When I'm home with bad service and roaming, I get 4 hours till dead with average use. 2 to 3 with heavy use.

In a good area with the same use, I get 8 to 12 hours.

That is a good point. I've been at home mostly all day and downstairs in my room I hardly get any signal so my eVo keeps searching for signal therefore it drains a lot. Yesterday i was at work. The same Push notifications, weather app has always been used. I haven't used live wallpaper yet although I want to and I don't turn on best wifi.

Sent from my eVo 4G LTE

shanekovac

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
Got the phone saturday got it all set up. Gave it a good 8-12 full charge. Then I pulled it off the charger about 9 am. I do have the weather app, syning regularly, gps turned on. Bluetooth, wifi all toggled on and off. No live wallpapers and about 51 apps with a few that pull in the background (facebook, flipboards, etc). I also used the camera a bit and have the brightness turned to 45%.

I used 3g talk for about 5 minutes. Wifi net surfing probably a total of an hour or so. Navigation for about 20 minutes. Bluetooth for about 15 minutes. And 3g net surfing for another 15-20 minutes. All in all at 15 hours when I went to bed it was at 30%. I would not call my usage really even moderate at all. Relatively light. I am not sure what to make of this battery usage. I live in Kansas City so the LTE is not live but is off an on as they test it so all the Sprint peeps say the LTE phones are pulling LTE signal a good part of the time.

Extrapolating some general usage sitting on the table not using I figure I will get about 20-24 hours our of a charge.

Use anywhere from very light to very heavy will probably get me maybe 7-12 hours.

thoughts?

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
You mention your phone is getting hot.. is that with it off or while your using it?
It should only get hot when your using a game or heavy browsing. Thats when the processor is working at its fullest potential.
If your device is resting and stays warm thats probably an app that has stopped working properly and is chewing up the battery by overloading the processor.

By doing a hard reset you cleaned up the bad app, however if you re-downloaded it or set up the same app and it started the same bad process then yeah your going to get bad battery life. .

susanoo26

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
Extrapolating some general usage sitting on the table not using I figure I will get about 20-24 hours our of a charge.

Use anywhere from very light to very heavy will probably get me maybe 7-12 hours.

thoughts?

Finally someone who is honest about battery usage! My battery life experience is right along the lines of yours. Moderate to heavy use with a decent signal will get me around 7-10ish hours. Alot of people claim getting 15-20 of heavy usage and that's just not true. People have posted screen shots getting 19-20 hours claiming heavy use but their usage bar says otherwise. You'll see a flatline of like 8 hours when they were sleep and the phone wasn't being used. lol

htc evo 4g

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Finally someone who is honest about battery usage! My battery life experience is right along the lines of yours. Moderate to heavy use with a decent signal will get me around 7-10ish hours. Alot of people claim getting 15-20 of heavy usage and that's just not true. People have posted screen shots getting 19-20 hours claiming heavy use but their usage bar says otherwise. You'll see a flatline of like 8 hours when they were sleep and the phone wasn't being used. lol

I know right? It made me believe that my evo was defective thus i had to exchange for a 2nd evo last week. Im looking at the "battery life" post and i do notice that there is a flatline on the images of the people that said their lasted 2days + yet if i leave mine untouched, i still get no where close to 2 days, etc. We should look at those pics and ask them about how often they actually use it... haha

My coworker has the s3 and he said he gets about 12 good hrs w moderate use and of course s3 has 2100mah vs our 2000mah so is that about right?

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
on my s3 I'm getting about 8 and a half hours with heavy use so yeah sounds about right to me. I like reading this thread because I was feeling the same about evo and s3 owners saying they were getting this crazy long battery life.

htc evo 4g

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
on my s3 I'm getting about 8 and a half hours with heavy use so yeah sounds about right to me. I like reading this thread because I was feeling the same about evo and s3 owners saying they were getting this crazy long battery life.

About how long do you get w moderate-light use? Thats great that your honest w your S3. Feel free to leave as much input as you wish.

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
I don't use the phone as much on the weekend. Saturday was my first day to test it out for moderate use. Unplugged at 1230pm and plugged it back in at 1130am and my battery had 28% left. This weekend I'm going to unplug it earlier and see how long until it dies completely.

541rrhse

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
The most usage I've had was the first day or so of ownership which I think many of us can attest to. The EVO 4G LTE at minimum should make through an 8-10hr day.

HTC Evo 4G LTE Review - Watch CNET's Video Review - page 2

My anecdotal battery tests, which consist of playing a 720p HD video continuously, reflected the Evo's claimed longevity. The phone persevered for almost 8 hours -- 7 hours and 55 minutes to be exact -- before finally shutting down.

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
my roommate has the evo and I've fiddled with it a bit. I had the og evo and wanted a change, but the two phones are very similar. If I have any major problems with this phone, I'll switch over but so far so good. I know the evo has been getting better camera reviews but my pictures have all turned out better than his. could be his bad picture skills though Lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol