Cracked my screen already

r1fo

May 26, 2010
Visit site
After having my OG EVO uncased for 2 years, I've somehow managed to crack the screen on my month old evo 4g lte already. I really sucks! It dropped perhaps a foot from my lap to the ground and must have hit exactly the wrong spot.

I have sprints TEP, does anyone have experience going to them for repair? I was thinking it may be worth breaking the phone further in a mechanical way if they are not willing to fix it.

Appreciate anyone's advice or experiences with this.

r1fo

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Just wanted to add that the crack goes horizontally across the screen and is about at the 1/3rd mark from the top. The crack itself appears to only be on the glass and the screen display itself is unaffected

Vysse

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
After having my OG EVO uncased for 2 years, I've somehow managed to crack the screen on my month old evo 4g lte already. I really sucks! It dropped perhaps a foot from my lap to the ground and must have hit exactly the wrong spot.

I have sprints TEP, does anyone have experience going to them for repair? I was thinking it may be worth breaking the phone further in a mechanical way if they are not willing to fix it.

Appreciate anyone's advice or experiences with this.

If you have TEP you may have a 150 deductible but they will replace it.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

ajbrad71

May 28, 2011
Visit site
It depends on your location. Lately they have stopped fixing screens under the tep. Before you go killing it more check check around to see someone local that fixes screens. Try craigslist or one of those kiosk in the mall

kiwicarlos741

May 16, 2012
Visit site
The deductibles are starting to get ridiculous. Next thing you know it'll be at 200 the same amount as it costs to upgrade.

smgoma

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Man, I did the same thing! The TEP deductible is $150. I may just keep using it until I have to replace it.

Quis89

Q&A Team
Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
The deductibles are starting to get ridiculous. Next thing you know it'll be at 200 the same amount as it costs to upgrade.

You realize the phone retails at $550 right? So break it before you're eligible and you're paying well over the cost to upgrade if you want the same phone.

Reactions: King Koopa VI

r1fo

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the tips guys. Ended up going to the store and was told to send it in. It's a shame considering the phone is only a month old, but I suppose it really is my fault for dropping it. I'm going to just deal with it and not send it in. My only concern now is whether I will be screwed over in the future if there is a mechanical issue that warrants replacement - for example, my OG EVO needed to be completely replaced because the 4G chip wasn't working, and again when that replacement's headphone jack was not functional. The rep I spoke to assured me that having a cracked screen wouldn't preclude me from future coverage, but I have a feeling I will be finding out whether that's true or not the hard way.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site

That is because people keep breaking their expensive phones and making claims. I have been using smartphones for 8 (?) years now... never broke a single one. They should raise the deductible and monthly prices on people who break their phones and lower it for those who don't. All other insurances work that way, why not phones? The current system is unfair.

bbtitanium

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
My screen cracked very similar to the OP from the top left to about 1/3 down on the right. I have Best Buy insurance which means no deductible. On the flipside, since the device is so new, they don't have any replacements in their warehouse. They sent it out to have the screen repaired, which means no EVO for 2 weeks. If that doesn't work, I will get a new one.

Mercury81

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
My screen cracked very similar to the OP from the top left to about 1/3 down on the right. I have Best Buy insurance which means no deductible. On the flipside, since the device is so new, they don't have any replacements in their warehouse. They sent it out to have the screen repaired, which means no EVO for 2 weeks. If that doesn't work, I will get a new one.

Someone posted recently that best buy insurance offers a loaner phone...

from Evo4GLTE on Android Central