Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Wifi problems

My previous phone was the Evo 4G (OG) and I got it on the first day it was made available. I also purchased this new Evo 4G LTE the first day it was available and I'm having significant wifi problems.

Having worked in the building that I am current in for nearly two years, I know exactly where I can and cant sit in the cafeteria due to wifi signal strength issues, etc. My old Evo would correctly show me poor wifi signal or no wifi signal, but this new Evo always sits at Excellent or Good, when in fact there is NO wifi signal. I can use programs like Open Signal Maps to confirm that I have no wifi signal at all, but yet the phone thinks I'm connected to wifi.

Today in the cafeteria the wifi signal strength fluctuated between excellent and good for an entire hour, yet in actuality I had zero signal.

To fix this issue, I have to go to Settings -> Wi-Fi and turn it off, then back on. This always works, when the wifi is turned back on it correctly realizes that there is no wifi in range, or reconnects to one that is in range. The only setting I've ever messed with is the "Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep" which I have set to "Always". Curiously enough "Best Wi-Fi performance" is also set to ON which I dont remember changing.

I also notice this when I plugin my phone to charge when I go to bed, and the next morning I try to surf news while I eat breakfast and have no connectivity, I have to turn off and on Wifi even though my wifi router is sitting nearby. Never had any of these issues with my old Evo.

Ideas?
    FApple

I was having similar issues and have since changed my settings to best performance - off, it is not on during sleep, set to 2.4Ghz only and I downloaded wifi manager from the market. This all worked for me and I haven't had any further issues. Hope this helps.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: Wifi problems

I've turned off "best wifi performance" and I'll test this out at lunch again tomorrow.
    FApple
    Linux: The power beneath

Global Posts
    2,689 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bas.androiddev View Post
    I also notice this when I plugin my phone to charge when I go to bed, and the next morning I try to surf news while I eat breakfast and have no connectivity, I have to turn off and on Wifi even though my wifi router is sitting nearby. Never had any of these issues with my old Evo.
    That is a separate issue and it is addressed and mostly resolved in this thread: WiFi disconnects in sleep
    Click "Thanks" and/or "Like" button on posts where someone helped you or you liked the posting. Nexus 5 (T-Mobile), Moto360, Nexus 10, Evo LTE, Evo 3D, Evo 4G

Quote Originally Posted by bas.androiddev View Post
    I've turned off "best wifi performance" and I'll test this out at lunch again tomorrow.
    Curious to see if this solves the issue.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Unfortunately I did not get a chance to go down to the cafeteria today before they closed, I'll have to try tomorrow.
    FApple
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Ok I got another chance to test today, and I had the same wifi failures.

I walk from the 3rd floor of my building where I get excellent quality wifi signal and decent cellular signal down to the basement where the cafeteria is and I get no cellular signal and may or may not get any wifi at all depending on where I sit. Today I sat in the same place that I did during my first post, where I get zero wifi coverage.

The wifi icon fluctuated between Excellent and Good for an entire hour, but I had no signal at all, I could not browse the web at all.

Wifi problems-2012-06-27_11-36-28.jpg

Wifi problems-2012-06-27_11-37-11.jpg

When I open the app Open Signal Maps, it correctly shows that I have no wifi signals in range.

Wifi problems-2012-06-27_11-36-44.jpg

I would normally assume that this demonstrates a UI bug, that the wifi graphic is not correctly being updated. The problem with this assumption is that the UI is constantly changing between Excellent and Good when there really is no signal at all.

The other half of this problem is when the phone still displays good wifi signal, and I'm in a great reception area (ie standing next to my router), yet there is zero connectivity. My only solution for this problem is to turn wifi off then back on.
    FApple