Moving apps to SD card..

Shadnic

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
So one of the things that worries me about this phone is the 2gb internal storage limit. The biggest reason I lost all ability to enjoy my last phone (epic 4G) was that I filled up the 512 allocated app memory and suddenly I had to be ridiculously anal about what apps I could and couldn't use. These days, there's more memory available, but there are more apps and more games that take up more space.

My internal memory is only about 650mb out of the 2gb full, but my PHONE storage is already about 5.5gb gone. That's over half! I've tried moving these apps to the SD card and I'm not having any success. Within the app settings, I can't find any option to move to the SD card, and when using the application "Apps 2 SD" (what I've used on previous phones), it only recognizes the "phone" storage as being the SD card...not my SD card itself.

Anyone know a workaround here??

Shadnic

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
Also, I noticed that in phone storage, there's over 700mb being used for "Temporary Files from HTC apps" - What are those?? Is it okay to clear them out?

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
So one of the things that worries me about this phone is the 2gb internal storage limit. The biggest reason I lost all ability to enjoy my last phone (epic 4G) was that I filled up the 512 allocated app memory and suddenly I had to be ridiculously anal about what apps I could and couldn't use. These days, there's more memory available, but there are more apps and more games that take up more space.

My internal memory

"Storage", not "memory". "Memory" is RAM... don't fall for the incorrect marketing-speak of late :)

is only about 650mb out of the 2gb full, but my PHONE storage is already about 5.5gb gone. That's over half! I've tried moving these apps to the SD card and I'm not having any success. Within the app settings, I can't find any option to move to the SD card, and when using the application "Apps 2 SD" (what I've used on previous phones), it only recognizes the "phone" storage as being the SD card...not my SD card itself.

Anyone know a workaround here??

There are some unofficial hacks and such, but no real solution that I know of. If you move all your media- music, pictures, photos, video, etc to the SD card, that leaves a WHOLE LOT of room for apps on that 9GB + 2GB. Most apps really don't use much space. Some games can be hungry, though. I just can't imagine anyone needing more than that. I have several dozen apps and games (some large) and still have 9.27GB free on the "phone storage" partition (which apps claim is "move to SD" but is not... as you know).

I plopped a 32GB SD card in mine and have thousands of photos (resized), ALL my music (5,000 songs), and several full-length movies, dozens of documents, and still have free space.

Shadnic

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
Yeah...I know the difference between memory and ram. The epic did have 512 internal app storage. Sorry about the mix up.

I too have a 32gb SD card and "all" of my music/photos everything is located on that. The only thing in my "phone storage" is app data. I'm a gamer, so when I look for games, I look for ones that are going to more adequately replicate a traditional handheld/console experience than something like angry birds (not that there aren't good casual games out there). I don't even have too many. Maybe 20 games total, and of those, maybe 4-5 are "big", and I've still used up half my phone storage. I think one gameloft game I have alone has used up 900+mb in there.

This is one thing that has me looking enviously at the galaxy S3. The whole thing is like one big block of storage. No restrictions as far as I know ( admittedly I don't read the GS3 forums anymore since I got the evo, so I'm not as up to date with their issues). I technically have 1 week still to trade my phone in at best buy if I want to...but I don't. My last 2 years was with samsung and I'd like to branch out and try something new.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
I'm a gamer, so when I look for games, I look for ones that are going to more adequately replicate a traditional handheld/console experience

Yep, that will do it for sure.

This is one thing that has me looking enviously at the galaxy S3. The whole thing is like one big block of storage. No restrictions as far as I know ( admittedly I don't read the GS3 forums anymore since I got the evo, so I'm not as up to date with their issues). I technically have 1 week still to trade my phone in at best buy if I want to...but I don't. My last 2 years was with samsung and I'd like to branch out and try something new.

I really don't understand why HTC partitioned the Evo LTE the way it did. It really doesn't make any sense to me and I can't think of a single advantage to their strategy.

Anyway this is the only app I have seen: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ls?id=com.a0soft.gphone.app2sd&token=ZJQGj-Nj to address what you are talking about. Reviews are mixed and I just don't know if something like that will work on ICS and with the strange partitioning of the Evo LTE.

As an aside- I am actually kinda puzzled why most high-end phones don't have more built-in storage AND memory. I bet the memory on the Evo LTE could have been bumped up to 2GB and the storage to 32GB for around $15. Oh well.

Shadnic

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site

Are you sure that moves your apps to the SDcard and not the phone storage? The phone storage is "labeled' as SD card, but it's not your actual SD card. If you have about ~9.9gb of total storage then that's just your phone.

App2SD was the app that I tried the other day, and it didn't work. I emailed the developer asking about it and he referred me to the FAQ section of their website where the answer was essentially "no". Apparently it's relatively impossible to do this without hacking.

Luckily I found several threads in XDA about it and found some pretty simple hacks. There's a few hoops to jump through like transferring all your data to your internal first before switching the mounted cards, and that you have to re-do it each time you flash a new ROM, but it certainly seems do-able.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12