HTC support multitasking/ proximity sensor

kiwicarlos741

May 16, 2012
Visit site
This is the email I got back from HTC

I know how important it is for your phone to work well and I will be glad to help out. Regarding multitasking, HTC is aware of some questions in the enthusiast community about how the HTC One X handles multitasking and memory management for background apps. We value the community's input and are always looking for ways to enhance customers' experience with our devices. That said, right now multitasking is operating normally according to our custom memory management specifications which balance core ICS features with a consistent HTC Sense experience.

Carlos, we can do a test to see if the proximity sensor behavior is a hardware or software concern with your device. Let's dial the special code *#*#3424#*#* - on the function test let's select P-sensor test and tap run. If covering up the proximity sensor causes the screen to dim, and uncovering it causes the screen to return to normal then this is a software issue that we are currently investigating, although we do not have an ETA for resolution just yet.

If the test fails, however, we can try putting your phone into safe mode to see if a third party app might be triggering this behavior. To do this, please hold the power button down for about 30-45 seconds. This resets the connection to the battery in your device to fully shut it down. Now we can press your power button and after the phone screen turns on press and hold the volume down button until the phone boots up. It should enter safe mode and display some text near the bottom of the screen.

This loads the phone without any Play Store apps active. Now we can test the phone for a bit and see if the issue returns. If it is cleared up you may wish to uninstall some apps before rebooting. To do this open the Play Store and press Menu>My Apps. Tap on an application to get the option to uninstall it.

To leave safe mode, simply hold down the power button and select Restart.

Should the issue continue we may wish to back up your data and perform a factory data reset. Due to the length of the backup steps I am including these instructions as an attachment. If that does not remedy the device behavior you may wish to swap your phone at the place of purchase out for a replacement, or reach out to HTC Repair and Warranty at 1-877-293-0807 (6 AM - 1 AM EST, 7 days a week) to request repair service.

Thank you for being a part of the HTC community. I hope you are having a wonderful Fourth of July!

Let me know if I have successfully answered your question, please click here to complete this.

To send a reply to this message, please click here.

Sincerely,

Douglas

HTC

Want to see what others are saying? Have a question to ask other HTC fans?

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Reactions: slinkeril

Quis89

Q&A Team
Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
Basically...no fix for the multitasking "issue" is coming. So we should all just deal with it. As frustrating as it can be...it is what it is I guess. I'll get over it. I still love this phone.

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
That said, right now multitasking is operating normally according to our custom memory management specifications which balance core ICS features with a consistent HTC Sense experience.
"Sense is too bloated and we had to choose between Sense & running apps...Sense won.

No matter, custom ROMs fix this issue.

kbp08tls

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
"Sense is too bloated and we had to choose between Sense & running apps...Sense won.

No matter, custom ROMs fix this issue.

It amazes me that a dedicated team of software engineers at a tech company can't accomplish what a few devs can in their spare time.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
"I know how important it is for your phone to work well and I will be glad to help out. Regarding multitasking, HTC is aware of some questions in the enthusiast community about how the HTC One X handles multitasking and memory management for background apps. We value the community's input and are always looking for ways to enhance customers' experience with our devices. That said, right now multitasking is operating normally according to our custom memory management specifications which balance core ICS features with a consistent HTC Sense experience."

You do realize that this is just a cut and paste. I got the same response weeks ago. Still, people SHOULD Email HTC and complain about the broken memory management/ multitasking. The more they hear from us, the more likely they are to DO something about it, rather than pretending it is acceptable.

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
It amazes me that a dedicated team of software engineers at a tech company can't accomplish what a few devs can in their spare time.

It's HTC...they always get so close, but never a home run.. It's always something.

kiwicarlos741

May 16, 2012
Visit site
You do realize that this is just a cut and paste. I got the same response weeks ago. Still, people SHOULD Email HTC and complain about the broken memory management/ multitasking. The more they hear from us, the more likely they are to DO something about it, rather than pretending it is acceptable.

Yeah I figured it was just a generic message but what you said is right, everyone should be complaining because its not acceptable, if enough ppl complain then maybe they'll start to realize how frustrating it is. The same should be done for google wallet on the play store. There's already a ridiculous amount of bad reviews since they blocked it. Just have to keep complaining

Saneless

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Yeah but then they emailed me a survey too, which I slammed them on, then they called me. They're actually reaching out, which is good.

HTC needs to stop pretending that I'm some special tech freak and that it's not a real issue. I'll be happy to tell them at least a dozen people in person I've talked to, let alone who knows how many online, have been completely dissuaded from getting this phone or any new HTC phones because of this issue. I happily told them to get the S3 or anything else rather than deal with this garbage.

If HTC would simply say "we realize that some people have an issue with how memory management works and we are working on a solution that gives users options" or some BS like that would at least pretend like they cared. They don't and this is my last HTC phone.

kiwicarlos741

May 16, 2012
Visit site
Multitasking atleast in my opinion means being able to SIMULATENOUSLY RUN (two keywords) different applications at the same time, not this pathetic excuse of what they call memory management, they're two diff things, they shouldn't be advertising that this phone can multitask because the system that they have put in, this so called memory management is not the same as multitasking.

slinkeril

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, just checked and it worked fine in all different lighting conditions.. this issue only happens when in an actual call.. guess its a software glitch then

This is the email I got back from HTC

I know how important it is for your phone to work well and I will be glad to help out. Regarding multitasking, HTC is aware of some questions in the enthusiast community about how the HTC One X handles multitasking and memory management for background apps. We value the community's input and are always looking for ways to enhance customers' experience with our devices. That said, right now multitasking is operating normally according to our custom memory management specifications which balance core ICS features with a consistent HTC Sense experience.

Carlos, we can do a test to see if the proximity sensor behavior is a hardware or software concern with your device. Let's dial the special code *#*#3424#*#* - on the function test let's select P-sensor test and tap run. If covering up the proximity sensor causes the screen to dim, and uncovering it causes the screen to return to normal then this is a software issue that we are currently investigating, although we do not have an ETA for resolution just yet.

If the test fails, however, we can try putting your phone into safe mode to see if a third party app might be triggering this behavior. To do this, please hold the power button down for about 30-45 seconds. This resets the connection to the battery in your device to fully shut it down. Now we can press your power button and after the phone screen turns on press and hold the volume down button until the phone boots up. It should enter safe mode and display some text near the bottom of the screen.

This loads the phone without any Play Store apps active. Now we can test the phone for a bit and see if the issue returns. If it is cleared up you may wish to uninstall some apps before rebooting. To do this open the Play Store and press Menu>My Apps. Tap on an application to get the option to uninstall it.

To leave safe mode, simply hold down the power button and select Restart.

Should the issue continue we may wish to back up your data and perform a factory data reset. Due to the length of the backup steps I am including these instructions as an attachment. If that does not remedy the device behavior you may wish to swap your phone at the place of purchase out for a replacement, or reach out to HTC Repair and Warranty at 1-877-293-0807 (6 AM - 1 AM EST, 7 days a week) to request repair service.

Thank you for being a part of the HTC community. I hope you are having a wonderful Fourth of July!

Let me know if I have successfully answered your question, please click here to complete this.

To send a reply to this message, please click here.

Sincerely,

Douglas

HTC

Want to see what others are saying? Have a question to ask other HTC fans?

Susan.B

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
This multitasking problem has allowed me to feel much better about waiting for the iphone 5 instead of rushing into the Evo LTE that would lead to 2 years of frustration.

So, after seeing how the iphone 5 really pans out, I will see if HTC steps up to the plate and fixes this phone and then decide between the two of them.

For all you super AMOLED folks, that screen has ugly it hasn't even used yet so that ain't an option. I agree with other posters on this forum that the blacks are pushed waaay too far obliterating detail in the dark end and the colors are hideously over saturated.

a22matic

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, just checked and it worked fine in all different lighting conditions.. this issue only happens when in an actual call.. guess its a software glitch then

Slinkeril, take your phone back. I'm getting a new phone on Tue (tomorrow). Took it into Sprint & they deemed it wasn't working right. I was having this issue happen to me on calls only. It reared its ungly head while I was out of town. Let's just say I had enough. Check out the thread...

http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc-evo-4g-lte/186924-proximity-sensor-bad.html

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12