Proximity Sensor bad?

pteezay

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
I've noticed when I'm on the phone my screen goes black as it's supposed to. However, when I take the phone away from my phone it never comes back on unless I hit the power button and even at that it's on for less than 2 secs. Then if the screen locks and I touch the unlock ring to open the phone it goes black as soon as I touch the screen. All this happens while on the phone and the only why to stop the call is to hold the power button for 10 secs. I'm at a lose of words and would like to know if anyone has experienced this or know of a solution? I'm all stock and am not using a screen protector.

I also found another Site talking about the same problems, but thought someone on here may know something. http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g-lte/555657-proximity-sensor-not-working.html

Last edited:

kbp08tls

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
There have been a few threads about it.
In some cases, a screen protector is the culprit and widening the cutout helps. Others seem to have the problem in low light environments. It's only happened to me once. I was in a dark room and there was a huge smudge right over the sensor. Cleaning the smudge fixed it for me.

I know I saw a test procedure somewhere that allows you to determine if you have an actual hardware issue. I'll post the link if I can find it again.

EDIT: The test procedure is post #3 of the thread you linked. Copy and pasted here:

Troubleshoot:
*Be careful when poking around in these menus

On your phone open the dialer, like you are going to dial the phone number of a friend. Instead dial *#*#3424#*#* (*#*#DIAG#*#*). It will take you to the HTC Function Test application (v3.01.01g). On the white screen, press accept and look for the "P-Sensor Test". Press the check box and hit 'run' and it will take you through a test of the proximity sensor. This will help you further test the problem.

Please report back on what you find
Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Last edited:
Reactions: slinkeril

Hurleygm

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I've noticed when I'm on the phone my screen goes black as it's supposed to. However, when I take the phone away from my phone it never comes back on unless I hit the power button and even at that it's on for less than 2 secs. Then if the screen locks and I touch the unlock ring to open the phone it goes black as soon as I touch the screen. All this happens while on the phone and the only why to stop the call is to hold the power button for 10 secs. I'm at a lose of words and would like to know if anyone has experienced this or know of a solution? I'm all stock and am not using a screen protector.

I also found another Site talking about the same problems, but thought someone on here may know something. http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g-lte/555657-proximity-sensor-not-working.html

This must be a known issue. I have had the same problem since day one and finally took it in to Sprint. I get a replacement on Tuesday.

kanyewest

May 17, 2010
Visit site
happened to me also... I had no screen protector and it was not rooted or anything... took it ro sprint store... they gave me a brand new one.

a22matic

May 10, 2012
Visit site
I've also had this issue since day 1. I was out of town last week & it happened during a crucial moment. So embarrassing... It was b/t 7-8:30 and the sun was starting to set. Man when I say the prox sensor failed big-time, it failed big-time. It failed outside and inside. Guess the inside lights weren't bright enough. I was on the phone with Hilton Honors trying to straighten something out with the rental car agent. Everytime I handed her the phone, the screen would be dark. Hitting the power button would only activate the display for a mere second before the screen would go dark. I never thought a malfunctioning prox sensor was a big deal b/f my trip. I thought I would just deal with it, but not anymore. I'm outside my 14 day window of course since I preordered my phone, but something has to be done about this. I was waiting for an OTA, but I don't think that's wise anymore. I read about others who are having no issues with their prox sensors, so it's time to act. FYI - I've found that using the speaker negates the problem...

Hurleygm

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I've also had this issue since day 1. I was out of town last week & it happened during a crucial moment. So embarrassing... It was b/t 7-8:30 and the sun was starting to set. Man when I say the prox sensor failed big-time, it failed big-time. It failed outside and inside. Guess the inside lights weren't bright enough. I was on the phone with Hilton Honors trying to straighten something out with the rental car agent. Everytime I handed her the phone, the screen would be dark. Hitting the power button would only activate the display for a mere second before the screen would go dark. I never thought a malfunctioning prox sensor was a big deal b/f my trip. I thought I would just deal with it, but not anymore. I'm outside my 14 day window of course since I preordered my phone, but something has to be done about this. I was waiting for an OTA, but I don't think that's wise anymore. I read about others who are having no issues with their prox sensors, so it's time to act. FYI - I've found that using the speaker negates the problem...

Take it to Sprint. They will give you a new one. I had the same problem. Couldn't unlock my screen to end a call.

Reactions: a22matic

a22matic

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Take it to Sprint. They will give you a new one. I had the same problem. Couldn't unlock my screen to end a call.

Thanks Hurley. After my Chicago experience an reading this post, I decided to pull the trigger. I called Sprint after I posted and described the problem I was having. They said it's a known complaint, and it was listed in their computer under the EVO LTE. They said the only troubleshooting they could do is ask me to remove the screen protector on my phone. I promptly told them I've never had one on my EVO LTE. They then put in an e-ticket. I take it in to a local store tomorrow at noon. Sprint said it will probably take them an hour or two to inspect the phone. If they can't fix it, I will get another phone. I emphasized to them I was not going to accept a refurbished phone, as my EVO LTE is not even a month and a half old. They reassured me that won't happen. I'll post the outcome tomorrow.

Hurley - how's your new phone working? Have you experienced any prox sensor issues? Any new issues pop up?

Hurleygm

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I don't get it until Tuesday. How can I assure I don't get a refurbished phone?

slinkeril

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I have a question about this replacement, was your original handset purchased directly from sprint store? As i am having the exact same issue now. Got my phone on the 7th of June but this problem just started to happen about a week ago, however i purchased it from best buy, and im not sure if sprint will replace a phone purchased from some one else, and i dont necessarily trust best buy tech department.

slinkeril

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
There was another thread on this topic i just found, this is quoted from an HTC tech in responce to what appears to be the proximity sensor issue.

we can do a test to see if the proximity sensor behavior is a hardware or software concern with your device. Let's dial the special code *#*#3424#*#* - on the function test let's select P-sensor test and tap run. If covering up the proximity sensor causes the screen to dim, and uncovering it causes the screen to return to normal then this is a software issue that we are currently investigating, although we do not have an ETA for resolution just yet.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ht...tc-support-multitasking-proximity-sensor.html

^this is the link to the thread i took the quote from.

Also, i tried myself and my works perfectly in the diagnostic menus in many different lighting conditions... but has the hickups when actually making a call... so it is likely a software glitch.

Hurleygm

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I tried the test, still failed. I also tried it in safe mode to see if an application was causing it. Still failed. That's why I finally decided to take it in.

Also, I preordered online from Sprint.

a22matic

May 10, 2012
Visit site
I don't get it until Tuesday. How can I assure I don't get a refurbished phone?

I went to the Sprint Store yesterday and left my phone with the Technician while I watched a movie. Gave him the rundown before I left it... I showed him all the examples of what was going on. When I came back, he had performed his tests (including a reset). Luckily I have all my data backed up. His conclusion was my phone had a "weak" light sensor. He said it wasn't too bad, but definitely not fixable. I had already given the representative on the phone my demand of having a NEW replacement phone, and I did the same thing to the in store technican. He reassured me it would be a new phone. When I picked my phone up, the technician showed me the form with my new phone order. He explained if I was getting a refurbished phone, the form would have listed refurb in the section where the new phone information was. I'm 'supposed' to pick up my new phone tomorrow (Tue). I'll report back on how that goes.

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE using Android Central Forums

a22matic

May 10, 2012
Visit site
I tried the test, still failed. I also tried it in safe mode to see if an application was causing it. Still failed. That's why I finally decided to take it in.

Also, I preordered online from Sprint.

Same here... Hurley took the words right out my mouth. I preordered my phone within the first 10 mins of the preorder site being up, & it was delivered to me on 5/24 after the EVOgate customs issue.

a22matic

May 10, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if it will be a different hardware version.

Yeah, I'm curious to see that too. I just pray the new phone doesn't have the same issue, AND I don't inherit a brand new issue...

xcrico

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Yea, my proximity sensor was bad. It was a hardware issue. I took it to the sprint repair shop and the technician concluded it was a hardware issue. Did a factory reset and everything. They sent me a new phone and everything works perfectly. My camera on the old one was ok but the new camera is wayyyyyy better. I can't believe the same phone could have such a better camera just cause the one I got was defective (not just the proximity sensor it seems like). The screen is also whiter and is not as yellowy. I'm happy now :D But yea, when I would move the phone away from my ear during a call, the phone would remain black.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781