Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Otterbox Defender causing screen distortion?

    Wondering if anyone else is experiencing this or has a solution. I love the case and the protection it offers, but whenever there is something brightly colored or white on the screen, the built-in screen protector refracts it into millions of tiny rainbow-colored pixels. Not the best way to describe it, I know, but I'm not sure how else to put it. It's very noticeable, though I can easily see through it. Just rather a pain when trying to view pictures or something. I hate to have such an amazing screen.

    I tried taking pictures with my camera, but it's really rather hard to see so there was no sense in posting them.

    Anyone else seeing this or have a solution? Is the case faulty? I know Otterbox has really good warranties on their products, but I don't see the point in bothering if they're all like this.
  2. #2  

    Default

    Try Windex on the protector shield, inside and out, sounds like you may have something oily on it, mine works great, no distortions!

    Sent from my LTEVO using Android Central Forums
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Otterbox Defender causing screen distortion?

    Mine will sweat sometimes. Glass cleaner will fix it though. Great case though.
  4. #4  
    brandonx1000's Avatar
    rule the air.

    Posts
    760 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,118 Global Posts

    Default

    I have an otter box for my new iPad and nexus and the distortion is there. They use a special screen to avoid oil marks between the display and screen protector.

    It sucks, but I've gotten used to it

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
  5. #5  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cherenkov View Post
    Wondering if anyone else is experiencing this or has a solution. I love the case and the protection it offers, but whenever there is something brightly colored or white on the screen, the built-in screen protector refracts it into millions of tiny rainbow-colored pixels. Not the best way to describe it, I know, but I'm not sure how else to put it. It's very noticeable, though I can easily see through it. Just rather a pain when trying to view pictures or something. I hate to have such an amazing screen.

    I tried taking pictures with my camera, but it's really rather hard to see so there was no sense in posting them.

    Anyone else seeing this or have a solution? Is the case faulty? I know Otterbox has really good warranties on their products, but I don't see the point in bothering if they're all like this.
    I see it to or did at first...it either fixed itself or I got used to it

    Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Otterbox Defender causing screen distortion?

    I see it also, thought it was me at first. Tried cleaning it and nothing I tried worked; thought about removing the screen protector sometime in the future...will try to live with it for the time being.
  7. #7  
    Dreamliner330's Avatar

    Posts
    1,015 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,021 Global Posts
    ROM
    100% AOSP/AOKP wanted.

    Default Re: Otterbox Defender causing screen distortion?

    Great case, not the best screen protector...
  8. #8  

    Default

    I just ripped the screen protector off. You'll have to clean the glue off if you do that before you put the cover back on the phone. It really bothered me that such a great case had such a bad built-in screen protector.

    Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
  9. #9  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by silverthornne View Post
    I just ripped the screen protector off. You'll have to clean the glue off if you do that before you put the cover back on the phone. It really bothered me that such a great case had such a bad built-in screen protector.

    Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
    I'm thinking about doing the same and maybe buying a Zagg screen protector.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Otterbox Defender causing screen distortion?

    I had the otterbox defender case on my evo 3d and I didn't like the built in screen protector because it made the screen look grainy so I bought the commuter case for my evo 4g lte it has a great screen protector with it . Also the hard shell is on the outside an soft shell on the inside so doesn't collect lint so much from your pocket .
  11. #11  

    Default

    The soft shell doesn't collect much on the defender, but it's way too grainy for me.

    Sent from EVO 4G L(a)TE
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

    Default Re: Otterbox Defender causing screen distortion?

    Glad to know it's not just me. On a slightly related issue, the Otterbox was making it hard to pull down the notifications menu. I'd have to press my finger just right to get to it. I started using Apex launcher today (haven't checked if Nova can do this as well). Apex lets you assign conditional actions to the home button. So I press home once to go to my home screen, and if I'm already there, pressing home can be set to pull down the notifications screen. Much better than trying to fiddle with it to pull it down manually.

    Perhaps this belongs in the tips and tricks section, but for me this is a big help.
    Thanked by:
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Otterbox Defender causing screen distortion?

    When I had the defender in my pocket and pulled it out it use to have lint or whatever was in my pocket stuck to it and also stuff would get under the screen protector and I would have to take it apart and clean it . And the plastic rubbed the paint off the front of my 3d . So commuter case on my 4g lte .
  14. #14  
    BlackHawkA4's Avatar
    Drop the Bag

    Posts
    2,362 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,478 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dwb3838 View Post
    When I had the defender in my pocket and pulled it out it use to have lint or whatever was in my pocket stuck to it and also stuff would get under the screen protector and I would have to take it apart and clean it . And the plastic rubbed the paint off the front of my 3d . So commuter case on my 4g lte .
    No matter what I do there is always one piece of dust under the case in an annoying spot.

    I rinse it under water. Use Windex. Clean it off. Hit it with duster gas. Put it on real quick and its always still there. Ahhhhhhhh. Lol.

    Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums
  15. #15  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackHawkA4 View Post
    No matter what I do there is always one piece of dust under the case in an annoying spot.

    I rinse it under water. Use Windex. Clean it off. Hit it with duster gas. Put it on real quick and its always still there. Ahhhhhhhh. Lol.

    Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums
    Do you live in a dusty climate? I have had my case on for over a month and not one speck of dust.

    from Evo4G LTE on Tapatalk 2

Posting Permissions

B