Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree30Likes
  • 11 Post By Mikey47
  • 16 Post By Mikey47
  • 3 Post By Kizzmocat
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default My wife dropped her Evo LTE in washing machine

Came out really clean but could not get it to turn on. Tried putting it in refrigerator but no luck. Thankfully I had best buy insurance and they are sending her a new one. They have them on back order gave me a loaner

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

The refrigerator? xD

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock + Goodies by Flex

Default Re: My wife dropped her Evo LTE in washing machine

A phone can survive a fall into water, especially if you act quickly. Next time, take the back cover off, remove battery/sd card (doesn't apply to us, but for general knowledge). Get as much visible water out as possible with a dry microfiber cloth (or paper towel if you are careful). Put just the the phone in a sealed container with about 2 cups of rice overnight (or a day if you have time). The rice helps to absorb the moisture. It will still be flagged as 'water damage' for Sprint Insurance purposes (water indicator), but it may just save the phone enough to limp along for a replacement/upgrade/cool story you can post on the forums.

Edit. The silica packets from when you buy clothes do the same thing. Though I never have those laying around, but rice is always at home....

Put it in the microwave ;-)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    765 Global Posts

What does the refrigerator do?

Quote Originally Posted by Tical View Post
    Put just the the phone in a sealed container with about 2 cups of rice overnight (or a day if you have time). The rice helps to absorb the moisture.
    Seeing as how the phone ended up in the refrigerator, we probably better say this should be dry uncooked rice, not leftover pork fried rice from Uncle Kim's Chinese Palace.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Quis View Post
    What does the refrigerator do?
    It brings items placed into it to around 38 degrees Fahrenheit.
    Thanked by 5:
    camiller, n64kps, genoist and 13 others like this.

Global Posts
    765 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Darn.... I really set myself up for that one, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Quis View Post
    Darn.... I really set myself up for that one, eh?
    Lol... Kinda :-)

The refrigerator actually removes moisture from the air as a byproduct of their cooling process. This in turn helps "dry" out your phone.

All of a sudden you're glad you didn't cancel the insurance

David

Global Posts
    321 Global Posts

Brings up a good point. Since we cant remove our battery, how would we best dry out everything?

Sent from my EVO LTE
    Thanked by:

If I ever drop my phone in water, I am getting another. It will never be the same after that.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Had an acquaintance that had her Tablet (some i thingy) dropped in the swimming pool. She took it out, dried it off and put it in a casserole dish layered with dry white rice (as noted above, not chicken fried rice from the China Kitchen). Left it in there for a few days (changed the rice out once) and the thing started right back up like new.

So yeah, Go Uncle Ben's crazy on it.

All I could think about was, at least his wife does laundry! Lucky dog! I'd sacrifice a phone for that!

Sent from my LTEVO using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:

The rice trick is a magical thing!! It saved a few phones for me in the past during my reckless days
    "The worst foe lies within the self....."
    Get yourself some storage with Dropbox: http://db.tt/hWGiTCa

My wife put her Evo Shift through the washing machine. It was only a few minutes, but it was enough. We dried it out in rice and it would turn on, but I think water got behind the screen because it looked.. well... not quite shattered but more like a Picasso. Luckily I always insure her phones, and the replacement we got (through Sprint) was pretty much like new. Sprint's phone insurance may be expensive, but I have to admit, I was impressed with the quality of the replacement.

Global Posts
    363 Global Posts

But that's not important right now...

Hopefully you dont have one of those refrigerators that is ultra cold, if it happened to freeze any water that was inside that would be bad
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Quote Originally Posted by Kizzmocat View Post
    All I could think about was, at least his wife does laundry! Lucky dog! I'd sacrifice a phone for that!

No that is why it was my fault I was away and asked her to do the laundry lol

Sent from my LTEVO using Android Central Forums

Seeing as how the phone ended up in the refrigerator, we probably better say this should be dry uncooked rice, not leftover pork fried rice from Uncle Kim's Chinese Palace.
    That's gotta be the funniest post I've read this year!

Quote Originally Posted by fkpalm View Post
    Came out really clean but could not get it to turn on. Tried putting it in refrigerator but no luck. Thankfully I had best buy insurance and they are sending her a new one. They have them on back order gave me a loaner

Err... Um... Did you buy her a Sanyo flip phone?

David. I don't agree with you about the phone in the fridge. At least you had insurance.