PSA: Do Not Accept the OTA if You Are Rooted

JayMunOne

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
Assume its regarding my post. Sorry, I just don't know if I'm supposed to clean up one root/SU app before installing an OTA and rooting another way.

JayMunOne

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
I'm a complete idiot when it comes to this stuff. I just need root badly because I work in a concrete building and constantly switching Sprint/roam destroys my battery. 800Mhz can't come soon enough for me!

ReproOne

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
This is what I did with no issues.

I am rooted with stock recovery and unlocked with s-on.

I applied the OTA with no issues and used Root Keeper to regain root.

I am not telling everyone to try this but it worked for me. I have been rooting my phones for five years now.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Central Forums

How did you get the OTA to apply? When I download it and try to start it, it takes me to the boot menu (I guess called the Recoery menu). Where do I start from there?

kbp08tls

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
Or am I totally screwed? I only want root to be able to backup my apps/data with Titanium.

What was your configuration before you took the OTA? I'm assuming rooted/locked/stock recovery since it installed. In that case, you're pretty much screwed until someone develops a new root method, or until someone way smarter than me figures out how to crack the new bootloader so you can revert.
The previous build was rooted fairly quickly, so I don't think it will be long (famous last words....).

anon780899

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I was rooted with zedomax, locked, and a stock recovery. Live and learn. I just want root to backup/restore apps/data with Titanium and WiFi Tether.

What was your configuration before you took the OTA? I'm assuming rooted/locked/stock recovery since it installed. In that case, you're pretty much screwed until someone develops a new root method, or until someone way smarter than me figures out how to crack the new bootloader so you can revert.
The previous build was rooted fairly quickly, so I don't think it will be long (famous last words....).

ReproOne

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I was rooted with zedomax, locked, and a stock recovery. Live and learn. I just want root to backup/restore apps/data with Titanium and WiFi Tether.

I am rooted the same way, but I cannot get the update to start . It takes me to the recovery boot screen.

How did you get the update? Also, did you get the update without having to lose settings?

anon780899

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I am rooted the same way, but I cannot get the update to start . It takes me to the recovery boot screen.

How did you get the update? Also, did you get the update without having to lose settings?

I tried to use OTA RootKeeper and unrooted. Then, downloaded/installed the update and everything went fine. Did not lose any setttings/apps/data. Wish I would have waited.

alvin319

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I tried to use OTA RootKeeper and unrooted. Then, downloaded/installed the update and everything went fine. Did not lose any setttings/apps/data. Wish I would have waited.

Why did you wish you waited?

You can now go back into Root Keeper and reroot as long as you did the root backup. That's what I did.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Tit0inPr

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I used the method from HTCevohacks.com. It was a one click batch file to run that they created. Unfortunately it gets permission denied after updating. I also tied rerunning the RUU but alas, that fails also. I guess I am stuck waiting for an updated method.

In the mean time though, what root keeper is everyone using? I tried running Voodoo OTA Root Keeper and did not have good results as you can see.

Ditto

Brandito

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Why did you wish you waited?

You can now go back into Root Keeper and reroot as long as you did the root backup. That's what I did.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

I used OTA rootkeeper and I lost root as well. I unrooted before applkying the update which may have been where I went wrong. I did a backup first of course, but now when I run rootkeeper it just hangs and does nothing.

ReproOne

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I used OTA rootkeeper and I lost root as well. I unrooted before applkying the update which may have been where I went wrong. I did a backup first of course, but now when I run rootkeeper it just hangs and does nothing.
How did you unroot, and did you lose settings by doing so?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome