Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 33
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default 3G speeds went from 200kbps to 1mbps

    In the past couple of days, Sprint service in my area (MO) has been spotty and dropping in and out. It came back Thursday. After noticing snappier speeds, I ran a speed test. It was consistently just over 1mpbs! Anybody else experience this? It's very noticeable. I was told that a tower in our area was being upgraded by a Sprint engineer. He also said that it's not complete yet, and will be on the 15th.
  2. #2  
    GOOFKC's Avatar

    Posts
    8 Posts
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

    Default Re: 3G speeds went from 200kbps to 1mbps

    Sounds like part of the Network Vision upgrade to me. Enjoy the new speeds!!!!
  3. #3  

    Default Re: 3G speeds went from 200kbps to 1mbps

    I work in Renton, WA, and a couple weeks ago I was lucky to match dial up speeds, but now I get 500k+ on what is still a fairly week signal (according to how many bars I have)
  4. #4  

    Default

    Dude my 3g speeds here are horrible. I live in south Texas and its horrible.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
  5. #5  
    Shadnic's Avatar

    Posts
    469 Posts
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    Carrier
    MeanROM

    Default Re: 3G speeds went from 200kbps to 1mbps

    From may-june when I had my old Epic 4G, I was getting between 100-900kbps. Now, with my Evo, I'm pulling down 1.5-1.9mbps. Don't know if it's the radios in the phone or the network itself, but it's pretty nice!
  6. #6  
    crxssi's Avatar
    Linux: The power beneath

    Posts
    2,671 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,990 Global Posts

    Default Re: 3G speeds went from 200kbps to 1mbps

    Quote Originally Posted by Love Divine View Post
    In the past couple of days, Sprint service in my area (MO) has been spotty and dropping in and out. It came back Thursday. After noticing snappier speeds, I ran a speed test. It was consistently just over 1mpbs! Anybody else experience this? It's very noticeable. I was told that a tower in our area was being upgraded by a Sprint engineer. He also said that it's not complete yet, and will be on the 15th.
    Some of the towers here have been doing similar stuff. My home towers are still typically 50-400Kbs, varying GREATLY depending on time of day, but never very good. However, near my friend (20 miles away) speeds suddenly started to soar to 1.4+ Mbs where they used to be much worse. I checked the tower map stuff and sure enough, it said there was a recent speed upgrade.

    So this seems to indicate that the site is pretty accurate about these 3G upgrades! I just wish they would hurry up with the towers closer to me. There is hope- my closest tower says "voice upgrade, data capacity upgrade, AND data speed upgrade" in the next 6 months. I would love to have LTE, but if I could get 1.4+ Mbs consistently around here, I would be extraordinarily happy for quite a long time.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: 3G speeds went from 200kbps to 1mbps

    Sprint flips the switch on LTE in Kansas City, your Galaxy S3 just got a whole lot better -- Engadget
    Engadget reported this morning that Sprint flipped the LTE switch in KC, and you should get better speeds in outlaying areas. I'm very surprised that AC hasn't reported this, even though it's not specific to Android, it's still newsworthy. In these forums people are also reporting that LTE is running here in San Antonio too but I've yet to see it for myself.
  8. #8  
    crxssi's Avatar
    Linux: The power beneath

    Posts
    2,671 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,990 Global Posts

    Default Re: 3G speeds went from 200kbps to 1mbps

    Quote Originally Posted by deadon21628 View Post
    Sprint flips the switch on LTE in Kansas City, your Galaxy S3 just got a whole lot better -- Engadget
    Engadget reported this morning that Sprint flipped the LTE switch in KC, and you should get better speeds in outlaying areas. I'm very surprised that AC hasn't reported this, even though it's not specific to Android, it's still newsworthy. In these forums people are also reporting that LTE is running here in San Antonio too but I've yet to see it for myself.
    But I guess it does nothing for Evo LTE phones, since it is pretty clear that it is only for the Galaxy S3 according to the title. Even though the Evo LTE was first, and probably still sold many more on Sprint. At least the body says something.
  9. #9  
    Cowchip's Avatar

    Posts
    254 Posts
    Global Posts
    546 Global Posts

    Default Re: 3G speeds went from 200kbps to 1mbps

    Same thing happened here. Did a speed test on the 11th because my EVO seemed snappier than usual and clocked over 2Mbps which is waaaay higher than it had been. I believe there was a tower update listed in my area so it must have been completed.
  10. #10  
    DWR_31's Avatar

    Posts
    263 Posts
    Global Posts
    267 Global Posts

    Default Re: 3G speeds went from 200kbps to 1mbps

    Two days ago for 7 hours my Evo 3D had 3 to 4mbps download speeds on 3G. Wimax was only giving me 2 to 3mbps.

    Now I can't even get 300kbps down on 3G.
    Houston, TX
  11. #11  

    Default Re: 3G speeds went from 200kbps to 1mbps

    Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
    But I guess it does nothing for Evo LTE phones, since it is pretty clear that it is only for the Galaxy S3 according to the title. Even though the Evo LTE was first, and probably still sold many more on Sprint. At least the body says something.
    Yeah, in the article is says the Evo is included in the LTE rollout, they probably just chose to only mention the Galaxy S3 in the title cause it's the hot new thing right now.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: 3G speeds went from 200kbps to 1mbps

    I had quite the opposite situation. My 3G speeds were never quite great in the South Bay area of California (south San Jose), maybe getting about 100-200k, and about 3-4 months ago, they went down to about 30-40k. Progress...even if it's backwards.
  13. #13  
    cloak.n.dagger's Avatar

    Posts
    1,087 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,188 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Never Stock

    Default Re: 3G speeds went from 200kbps to 1mbps

    Quote Originally Posted by sxayarath View Post
    I'm in San Antonio and 4G LTE turned on today.
    Holly Hana! Can y'all share the love with Austin? Please??? So jealous....
  14. #14  

    Default

    I get 1500 at my house consistantly bit that's because there's a tower literally up the hill from where I live on the open space, the only spot I get horrible coverage is at the gym where it can be as bad as 20 kbs. It sucks

    Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums
  15. #15  

    Default Re: 3G speeds went from 200kbps to 1mbps

    5Mbps upload speed, lol, that's my upload speed at home w/DSL (clinging to a cheap DSL plan because the higher ones are more than I need and cable has a ridiculous 40GB cap). I can't wait 'till LTE lights up around here, but it's really the capacity upgrades that'll make the most difference... Nothing like having full signal bars and crawling along at 0.1Mbps, overloaded towers seems to be Sprint's biggest issue around the metro area where I live in Puerto Rico. Lunch time at my local mall has made 3G worthless, used to be pretty decent but the repeaters are just oversaturated now... Luckily there's WiFi but still.
  16. #16  

    Default

    My 3g speed...



    Sent from my Evo 4G LTE using Tapatalk.
  17. #17  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DWR_31 View Post
    Two days ago for 7 hours my Evo 3D had 3 to 4mbps download speeds on 3G. Wimax was only giving me 2 to 3mbps.

    Now I can't even get 300kbps down on 3G.
    Houston, TX
    Impossible, as evdo rev a is capable of up to 3.1mbps on paper
  18. #18  
    wmurch3's Avatar

    Posts
    276 Posts
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts

    Default

    Same experience here! I called Sprint to complain because we weren't getting any service. They said a tower was down and it'd be down for a few days. Now is back up and I'm getting 1.5 - 2 meg download speeds. Better than ive ever got with Sprint. Awesome!

    Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Central Forums
  19. #19  
    CMercs's Avatar

    Posts
    39 Posts
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts

    Default Re: 3G speeds went from 200kbps to 1mbps

    Ok, I'm in Atlanta and after seeing this thread, I downloaded and ran SppedTest.net and go t 18746 up and 8945 down with a 44ms ping. Ok...Yeah, Wifi was on, let's try that again...

    229 down, 415 up and 143 ping. Much more normal....
  20. #20  

    Default Re: 3G speeds went from 200kbps to 1mbps

    Well I'm receiving my EVO on Monday from the repair center, and I'll test it here in Utah
  21. #21  
    crxssi's Avatar
    Linux: The power beneath

    Posts
    2,671 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,990 Global Posts

    Default Re: 3G speeds went from 200kbps to 1mbps

    Quote Originally Posted by kiwicarlos741 View Post
    I get 1500 at my house consistantly bit that's because there's a tower literally up the hill from where I live on the open space, the only spot I get horrible coverage is at the gym where it can be as bad as 20 kbs. It sucks
    Although distance does affect speed, that is not the most prevalent factor. Here, I can have full bars on many, many towers and STILL get 20 kbs because the towers are severely overloaded.
  22. #22  
    crxssi's Avatar
    Linux: The power beneath

    Posts
    2,671 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,990 Global Posts

    Default Re: 3G speeds went from 200kbps to 1mbps

    Quote Originally Posted by CMercs View Post
    Ok, I'm in Atlanta and after seeing this thread, I downloaded and ran SppedTest.net and go t 18746 up and 8945 down with a 44ms ping. Ok...Yeah, Wifi was on, let's try that again...

    229 down, 415 up and 143 ping. Much more normal....
    I love complaints like this. Why don't you try living here where it is very common to get 20Kbs down and a 1400ms ping. It has been this unusable for a very long time now and, yet, 2 years ago 500Kbs was the norm. Sprint has waited far, far too long to address these problems. I am glad something is finally being done.
  23. #23  
    Nextelian's Avatar

    Posts
    17 Posts
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts

    Default Re: 3G speeds went from 200kbps to 1mbps

    Quote Originally Posted by CMercs View Post
    Ok, I'm in Atlanta and after seeing this thread, I downloaded and ran SppedTest.net and go t 18746 up and 8945 down with a 44ms ping. Ok...Yeah, Wifi was on, let's try that again...

    229 down, 415 up and 143 ping. Much more normal....
    Same with me in North Gwinnett. Why the hell is our upload speeds always double our download speeds? How crazy is that?
  24. #24  

    Default Re: 3G speeds went from 200kbps to 1mbps

    Here's one speed test from Fort Worth yesterday...getting good speeds today also...
  25. #25  
    rsa
    rsa is offline
    rsa's Avatar

    Posts
    17 Posts
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts

    Default Re: 3G speeds went from 200kbps to 1mbps

    4G lite up here in Carrollton texas this morning, don't know if just a test or if it's going to stay on. Not close enough to it at the house to test it. Have to got back to the intersection of Rosemeade and Old Denton Rd. at lunch and do a speed test!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions