Disable apps... Disabled?

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Why is the disable button on preinstalled apps disabled itself. Urrrrrr.

Am I missing something

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
Why is the disable button on preinstalled apps disabled itself. Urrrrrr.

Am I missing something

Yes. You have to uninstall any updates to pre-installed apps first. Then you can disable it.

UNLESS it is Sprint Zone, of course, which Sprint made sure we could not disable.

Reactions: wilson8100

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Yes. You have to uninstall any updates to pre-installed apps first. Then you can disable it.

UNLESS it is Sprint Zone, of course, which Sprint made sure we could not disable.

I didn't say it was replaced with a button that says uninstall updates. It's there but disabled.

And its like that for every preinstalled app.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I didn't say it was replaced with a button that says uninstall updates. It's there but disabled.

And its like that for every preinstalled app.

Strange!

Have you tried force stopping the app first? Turn off fastboot and reboot? I will admit I have never tried to disable something like "Internet", as you show, which is the built-in browser. I was able to disable every single thing I wanted to and tried, except Sprint Zone. I just looked at my "Internet" and it is not allowed to be disabled at the moment (although I didn't force stop it).

Perhaps there are other built-in apps that are considered critical and are not disablable? Certainly what you say about "every" preinstalled app is not true, I just went through many and only a few others had the "disable" button greyed out.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Strange!

Have you tried force stopping the app first? Turn off fastboot and reboot? I will admit I have never tried to disable something like "Internet", as you show, which is the built-in browser. I was able to disable every single thing I wanted to and tried, except Sprint Zone. I just looked at my "Internet" and it is not allowed to be disabled at the moment (although I didn't force stop it).

Perhaps there are other built-in apps that are considered critical and are not disablable? Certainly what you say about "every" preinstalled app is not true, I just went through many and only a few others had the "disable" button greyed out.

Everyone one I've tried is. I was able to disable google wallet when it wasn't working but I still got notification for its update.

I tried disabling voicemail too but it wouldn't let me.

I also tried facebook and I think drop box. I always force close and clear data before I disable. Also I've had fastboot off since I got the phone. Don't need it. Cool feature but when I turn my phone off I want it all the way off with a fresh start when i turn it back on later.

It seems like apps that are more or less like advertisements to use services are the ones that you aren't able to disable.

They really havent bothered me but its pretty cheap to see that a feature google added to get rid of apps they force on you without uninstslling them are still forced on you.

On my nexus i could disable the stock browser.

Not something I would expect to see from HTC. Samsung maybe.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Wait. Drop box disabled now. Lol. What's going on here. Lol.

Hmm. Got a few more. Maybe I stopped after trying a few. But even still the few that like voicemail and internet are unacceptable lol.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Hmm. Got a few more. Maybe I stopped after trying a few. But even still the few that like voicemail and internet are unacceptable lol.

Like I said, I would never want to disable voicemail or "internet" (even though I am switching to Firefox). I have 18 built-in apps disabled. I just went in and disabled 4 more. I ran across one more I could not disable: HTC Hub

That makes sense. But facebook and internet and dropbox?

I had no trouble disabling both of those.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Like I said, I would never want to disable voicemail or "internet" (even though I am switching to Firefox). I have 18 built-in apps disabled. I just went in and disabled 4 more. I ran across one more I could not disable: HTC Hub

I had no trouble disabling both of those.

I use chrome. I had the browser on my nexus disabled while using chrome and had no issues what so ever. There's no need to have it enabled if your using another browser.

Voicemail I don't use. I don't have sprint visual voicemail so its pointless to have. And I use google voice. No need for it. And its always running.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Is disabling the apps getting back any memory?

The only app not disabled still using memory is voicemail for me. Not much. But why have it if your not using it.

As far as everything else its just the clutter of having them in my draw that bothers me. Ocd. Lol.

Clearly easily fixable with root but I'm waiting for cm10.