1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Phone Storage or Internal?

Dumb question, should I run my apps on phone storage or internal storage?

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

You will probably see better performance from the internal storage
    Thanked by:

I move everything possible to phone storage. Never had any problems.

Sent from my EVO LTE using Tapatalk 2
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

IMO phone storage frees up Ram. Thanks

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

They are on the same 16gb. Just different partitions, move to phone storage when you need more app space on internal storage. Performance wise i dont think theres a difference

Sent from my HTC EVO 4g LTE

As long as you don't move apps to an external sdcard performance will be fine

Global Posts
    140 Global Posts

Default Re: Phone Storage or Internal?

On the HTC EVO 4G LTE, what should the total storage be I show Internal Storage of 2.09GB (with 1.49GB now available) and PHONE STORAGE of 9.93GB total space with 9.80GB free. Where would one see TOTAL of 16GB? or is the OS and all already carved out?

Quote Originally Posted by tivoboy View Post
    On the HTC EVO 4G LTE, what should the total storage be I show Internal Storage of 2.09GB (with 1.49GB now available) and PHONE STORAGE of 9.93GB total space with 9.80GB free. Where would one see TOTAL of 16GB? or is the OS and all already carved out?
    Same thing with a pc. Space is used for the os, that partition on our phones are just hidden. 10+2+2.5ish(never equates to exactly 16gb,same with a 250gb hard drive being 235ish gb)

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G LTE

Quote Originally Posted by Coorsleftfield View Post
    As long as you don't move apps to an external sdcard performance will be fine
    Ok, now I'm confused. I always move my apps to my sd card, are you saying this is bad?

Sent from my EVO 4g lte
    love my evo.

Quote Originally Posted by zmann View Post
    Ok, now I'm confused. I always move my apps to my sd card, are you saying this is bad?

Sent from my EVO 4g lte
    Me too now I'm scared to add more apps cause I have like 150 mb of RAM and I really don't know which one to move them too

All I know is I move them all to my sd card and everything works fine.

Sent from my EVO 4g lte
    love my evo.

Yea my phone storage is at 8.76 GB I thought it was better to use internal I will be keeping up on this thread to see which one save the most RAM

Quote Originally Posted by Emmanuel11 View Post
    Me too now I'm scared to add more apps cause I have like 150 mb of RAM and I really don't know which one to move them too
    RAM is where apps run, not installed

Last edited by 84guy; 08-05-2012 at 11:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 84guy View Post
    RAM is where apps run, not installed

I knew that I mean to say how do I save more Ram ? cause I get low on ram if I stay on the web browser for hours. Or if I download games and play them for hours while listening to google play music.
    So what I mean is how do I free up RAM I know this phone have a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Emmanuel11 View Post
    I knew that I mean to say how do I save more Ram ? cause I get low on ram if I stay on the web browser for hours. Or if I download games and play them for hours while listening to google play music.
    So what I mean is how do I free up RAM I know this phone have a lot.
    No need to worry about ram. Android knows what it's doing, even if you close stuff other stuff will just open. Free ram is wasted ram

No need to worry about ram. Android knows what it's doing, even if you close stuff other stuff will just open. Free ram is wasted ram

Android may know, but HTC sure has proven they don't know...
    Thanked by:

Really ok well I guess I'm free to used up the ram I have 150 to 200 free

ROM
    Viper ROM

Installing apps on internal vs external storage won't effect your RAM differently. The internal memory is slightly faster and is noticeable for picture storage. If you set your pictures to go to the SD card and you snap a burst mode, there will be a few seconds of delay before you can review them. If you set your pictures to go to the internal memory, the delay is greatly reduced. This does depend on the speed of your SD card (mine is a 32gb class 10 that benchmarks pretty well).
    That being said, some apps are crazy big and if you are filling up your internal memory quickly, it is fine to move it to the SD card. I doubt you see a difference in most apps.

Global Posts
    1,188 Global Posts
    ROM
    Never Stock

Moving apps to your SD card just help to free up internal storage space, if you're running low. This does not free up RAM for apps to run. Unfortunately, HTC Sence hogs up most of the available RAM, which doesn't leave a lot for other apps to use. This is why when you switch to other apps via the multitasking button, the apps typically reload or refresh in some manner. Poor execution on HTC's part and no fix in sight...
    -Stay thirsty my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by cloak.n.dagger View Post
    Moving apps to your SD card just help to free up internal storage space, if you're running low. This does not free up RAM for apps to run. Unfortunately, HTC Sence hogs up most of the available RAM, which doesn't leave a lot for other apps to use. This is why when you switch to other apps via the multitasking button, the apps typically reload or refresh in some manner. Poor execution on HTC's part and no fix in sight...
    Oh thanks that the same problem I have I'm getting two different story but I think that could be why it reload when I click home after spending hours or 30 minutes in an app or browser

How do you move an app to the SD card? When I go into Apps, there's an option to move to Phone Storage, or move to Internal Storage. I have a Class 10 SDHC card, so far I'm only using it for music and pictures. If I wanted to move an app there, how would I? I have one app in particular that has a lot of data (ebook type stuff) which I'd like to move.

Global Posts
    6,763 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Quote Originally Posted by guitarfish View Post
    How do you move an app to the SD card? When I go into Apps, there's an option to move to Phone Storage, or move to Internal Storage. I have a Class 10 SDHC card, so far I'm only using it for music and pictures. If I wanted to move an app there, how would I? I have one app in particular that has a lot of data (ebook type stuff) which I'd like to move.
    I don't have an Evo 4G LTE but did a quick search on AC and it appears that you can't without a) being rooted and b) using some type of hack or mod to get the apps over to the actual ext-sdcard partition.

Here's an old discussion on it: how do you move apps to the sd card?

If this no longer applies then someone please jump in and clarify.