HTC you ruined my EVO with your OTA!!!

Cowchip

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for creating what is essentially a worthless brick when not on wi-fi.

Nothing can sync even though I have 4/6 bars. Last week I was getting 2Mbps on 3G and couldn't be more happy. Now? Might as well throw it in the drawer.

Does anybody know if you can roll back an OTA or have another solution?

Crimson

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Have you done anything to try to fix it? Or do you just need a hug? :) Obviously not everyone is having that problem so I think either a reset is in order or a new phone.

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I agree, what have you tried?

But to answer your question, if you do a hard reset you will be back pre-OTA, just don't do the update in the restart process.

Cowchip

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I've done multiple reboots, cycled the radio from CDMA/LTE to CDMA, force stopped about every app that was running and cleared cache.

I even drove to an area where there is another tower and was practically parked underneath it, had 6/6 bars, still nothing. It's obvious it is receiving signal, but the software is doing nothing with it.

With the numerous threads of people having various issues with the OTA, HTC needs to get their head out of their backside and roll it back.

This is ridiculous.

Andras

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
No they don't. The OTA made a great working phone work even better in my situation and I'm sure I'm not the only one that this applies to. More people go to forums and comment sections on articles moreso to gripe than to praise, so of course you'd be reading more negative information than positive.

84guy

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Is your mobile data on? If so don't do the stop all in the task manager. Ive had to restart many times because it closes essential apps. Just some things to try

Sent from my HTC EVO 4g LTE

imranmali3

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I am sorry for what happened to you, but don't forget that you have a 1 year warranty on your phone. My motto is: when in doubt, get phone replaced.

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Ok so mine works flawlessly. The problem with WiFi connectivity is solved. Problems with the month and date/location solved. Couldnt be happier. I've not heard other than this thread of any problems caused by the ota update.

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE

Reactions: Mercury81

MDteX

May 14, 2010
Visit site
I just started having syncing issues along with the People app no longer working.

Touching the People app brings up a list but when you select a contact the screen goes black. Nothing. Make it hard to call or text people. You can't even see their number to do so.

dfdg3

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Still no fix that I can see regarding the uncoupling of the ringer and the notifications. I've temporarily gone to an outside app to get around this issue. Hopefully HTC gets this done.

kbp08tls

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for creating what is essentially a worthless brick when not on wi-fi.

Nothing can sync even though I have 4/6 bars. Last week I was getting 2Mbps on 3G and couldn't be more happy. Now? Might as well throw it in the drawer.

Does anybody know if you can roll back an OTA or have another solution?

You can't roll back the OTA.

Have you tried updating your PRL/PRI?

Have you checked accounts and sync to make sure everything you want to sync is set to sync?

Have you tried calling Sprint? They may need to do something like re-provision your phone or something else.

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
I also think it sounds like more of a data provisioning issue. I would power down, then back up and Update Profile as soon as it boots up. There should also be a PRL update as well.

RyDawgBoston

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
I had the same issue and couldn't deal with it anymore. I was tired of calling htc and sprint everyday and was interfering with my life. No more prl and profile updates. I was fed up.

I went too AT&T and got the Gs3 and I am loving the speeds and the great phone. I did love the Evo and HTC, until this phone. Its a shame...

Hopefully HTC and sprint will fix this for everyone to enjoy. I was a die hard HTC fan, but they really messed up on this one.

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I had the same issue and couldn't deal with it anymore. I was tired of calling htc and sprint everyday and was interfering with my life. No more prl and profile updates. I was fed up.

I went too AT&T and got the Gs3 and I am loving the speeds and the great phone. I did love the Evo and HTC, until this phone. Its a shame...

Hopefully HTC and sprint will fix this for everyone to enjoy. I was a die hard HTC fan, but they really messed up on this one.

Wow, all that for a dud phone - never even tried replacing the phone, huh? .

Have fun paying more just to have more dropped calls!

Reactions: kbp08tls

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
I've done multiple reboots

Unless you turned off "fast boot", you never really rebooted..... just saying....
I would also suggest trying to update your PRL and if none of this works, contact Sprint and have them "re-provision" your data profile on the phone.

I didn't have a single problem with the OTA update. Although it didn't fix anything with multitasking. What are all these other threads you are talking about with people having problems with the update.... I have not seen any.

RyDawgBoston

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Wow, all that for a dud phone - never even tried replacing the phone, huh? .

Have fun paying more just to have more dropped calls!
Was on my third one. I couldn't even get service at my house or my neighborhood, while everyone else on AT&T got full bars and screaming Lte. It was embarrassing.

I don't mind paying for great service, but I refuse to pay for no service, can't connect to WiFi, bad multitasking, flickering screen, etc...

If the service was great and had Lte and HTC fixed their phone, then I would have never left. Maybe in the future.

Cowchip

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Unless you turned off "fast boot", you never really rebooted..... just saying....
I would also suggest trying to update your PRL and if none of this works, contact Sprint and have them "re-provision" your data profile on the phone.

I didn't have a single problem with the OTA update. Although it didn't fix anything with multitasking. What are all these other threads you are talking about with people having problems with the update.... I have not seen any.

Never had fast boot turned on.

I did the PRL updates right after installing the OTA, did it again this morning just to try something as nothing was making a difference. Still didn't matter.

The sync icon was in the notification bar constantly and my battery was down to 60% in about two hours. Like I said, I had full signal but it wasn't "connecting". The weather wasn't updating. Nothing. But I had at least four bars over this entire time and other Sprint phones were working just fine in our office.

Last night after I did the update my download speeds were a 1/10th of what they were, or worse. Woke up this morning, turned off wi-fi and I had nothing.

I was going to return it to factory default but I couldn't remember where that option was. As I was looking around for it all of a sudden an email popped in and everything was working again.

I'd be happy if someone could explain that one...

And as far as the other threads, they are there if you look for them. In fact, I didn't even know there was an OTA update until I stumbled upon one, then two, then three of them. I don't spend every waking moment on this website like some of you so I was a few days behind knowing that one was available.. Should have known better than to do the update after reading them, but just like everyone else thinks- "it'll never happen to me", so I did it anyway.

It is obvious the update had a negative effect on the phone, and apparently not just mine. I understand that every phone is different and people have configured them in a billion different combinations of ways so it is impossible for a manufacturer to test for every iteration, but this sure seemed flaky to me. I blame Google Wallet.

BigSushi

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Got a new phone from Sprint store today and it did not have the OTA installed. We installed it at the store. Everything seemed to be good on wifi. Come home no wifi. My first LTE worked on WIFI (not as well as my EVO 3D), Facebook was super slow. Maybe it's a router issue?? Everything else works as usual in my house on WIFI but the LTE. 3G speeds suck

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
Didn't think a factory data reset cleared the OTA? Did one on my phone and it's the same software version

It won't. It simply restores all the user area back to factory default, which has the effect of removing all accounts, removing all apps, and restoring all settings to default (and some other stuff). It can not revert to a previous version of the OS (ROM). However, you CAN do that by flashing an RUU.

Reactions: cloak.n.dagger

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gofuckyourselfandroid