NFC transfer will it work ?

dwb3838

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
I have an HTC evo 4g lte and my wife has the Samsung galaxy s3 but I can't get them to transfer through the NFC should this work or do they have to be same manufactured phones .

dskwerl

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
I tried it over the weekend with my girlfriend's recently-updated-to-ICS Galaxy Note. I managed to transfer a webpage once out of several attempts. The phones vibrated when the connection was established, but sending actual content was pretty flaky in my test.

dwb3838

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
I tried it over the weekend with my girlfriend's recently-updated-to-ICS Galaxy Note. I managed to transfer a webpage once out of several attempts. The phones vibrated when the connection was established, but sending actual content was pretty flaky in my test.
The first time I tried it they vibrated but that was it now when I try it nothing happens .

dskwerl

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
The first time I tried it they vibrated but that was it now when I try it nothing happens .

That's exactly how it worked for me. I tried sharing webpages and photos from Gallery with no luck, regardless of which device I tried to send from.

Conversely, when I tested Google Wallet at McDonald's, it respondedly immediately, opened Google Wallet and showed me the receipt on-screen after just a few seconds. The cashier looked a little confused, like I hadn't actually done anything but somehow my payment was made.

Last edited:

Glenn

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
NFC cannot transfer large files such as photos. That's why Samsung added their own app, S Beam, which utilizes Wifi Connect to transfer larger files, such as photos, after you've activated the "initial connection" via NFC.

Although the Evo LTE also has Wifi Connect, it doesn't have any apps to tell it to send/accept files via Wifi Connect after NFC activates, so even though both phones will vibrate to signal NFC detection, the Evo LTE will not give you the option of "press to send" for photos, and will receive an error if you try to send a photo from S3 (which is trying to send it via S Beam).

Android Beam, by default, can send things such as contact information, web page links, calendar events, and apps (in the form of Play Store links).

goworley

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I have GN2 & my husband has GS3. I was trying to send 1 contact & my entire contacts list was sent. Same thing happened when I tried to send a single photo - several albums were sent. How do I send only 1 of something?

phanatic4ever

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I use file expert and it seems to work pretty well. I have used it to send pics and even a small video between two ltevos. Worth a shot since I think file expert is still free.

Sent from my LTEvo using Android Central Forums

LolAlien

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
For some reason you have to flip the phone upside down and then tap the screen I dont know why its like that by thats how it seems to work.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
NFC cannot transfer large files such as photos. That's why Samsung added their own app, S Beam, which utilizes Wifi Connect to transfer larger files, such as photos, after you've activated the "initial connection" via NFC.

Although the Evo LTE also has Wifi Connect, it doesn't have any apps to tell it to send/accept files via Wifi Connect after NFC activates, so even though both phones will vibrate to signal NFC detection, the Evo LTE will not give you the option of "press to send" for photos, and will receive an error if you try to send a photo from S3 (which is trying to send it via S Beam).

Android Beam, by default, can send things such as contact information, web page links, calendar events, and apps (in the form of Play Store links).

I've sent pics and videos from my Gnex to my sis note 2 and my friends ns4g using android beam

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus Rockin 4.2.1 using Tapatalk 2

amanda1278w

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
I have the Evo 4g lte and my husband has the Samsung S3. I was able to send pictures from my Evo to his S3 with no problem, but could not receive anything that I tried to send from S3 to Evo. Both phones when put back to back made a chime sound, vibrated and the screens reacted to where they both said "tap screen to send" but when trying to send to my Evo it kept going to the play store and nothing happened.
When I bought the S3 for my husband I asked the tech if I would be able to send and receive to each others phones even though they aren't the same and he said Yes because they are both NFC capable and both have beam and the only difference between S-beam and android beam is the "S". Not sure if he was just trying to sound like he knew what he was talking about or not. I was already in the middle of the purchase so I know he didn't just say it to sell me.

Jaggrey

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I have the Evo 4g lte and my husband has the Samsung S3. I was able to send pictures from my Evo to his S3 with no problem, but could not receive anything that I tried to send from S3 to Evo. Both phones when put back to back made a chime sound, vibrated and the screens reacted to where they both said "tap screen to send" but when trying to send to my Evo it kept going to the play store and nothing happened.
When I bought the S3 for my husband I asked the tech if I would be able to send and receive to each others phones even though they aren't the same and he said Yes because they are both NFC capable and both have beam and the only difference between S-beam and android beam is the "S". Not sure if he was just trying to sound like he knew what he was talking about or not. I was already in the middle of the purchase so I know he didn't just say it to sell me.
I tried this with my wife who has the S3. Since the Samsungs use S-Beam to transfer the information, that's what it tries to transfer with by default. When I turned S-Beam off on my wife's S3, I was able to receive something from her phone (in my case a photo) using Android Beam.

sciwalk

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
In the case of Sumsung, it is important to note that the NFC antenna is built into the original battery. If you have changed to an after market battery, it will most likely not work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol