Make your GV # or cell # default when calling out handsfree?

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I use a Google Voice number primarily for business and my regular cell number I've had forever for everything else.

So I have the phone set to choose which number to use each time because that's the only way you can ever dial out with your GV number (as far as I can tell). The problem with this is when using hands free in the car, it still wants you to choose, which can be as involved as unlocking the phone, entering the pin code, then selecting which number you want to use. This completely eliminates the concept of "hands free," naturally.

Is there any way that the phone can be set that when it's connected via Blutetooth to pick either number as the cal out number? At this point I'll take either number, I just don't want to have to make the selection each time.

Perhaps an NFC action that changes the setting within the GV app that sends all calls through the cell number. There has to be some way to make this simpler.

bpdamas

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
I use a Google Voice number primarily for business and my regular cell number I've had forever for everything else.

So I have the phone set to choose which number to use each time because that's the only way you can ever dial out with your GV number (as far as I can tell). The problem with this is when using hands free in the car, it still wants you to choose, which can be as involved as unlocking the phone, entering the pin code, then selecting which number you want to use. This completely eliminates the concept of "hands free," naturally.

Is there any way that the phone can be set that when it's connected via Blutetooth to pick either number as the cal out number? At this point I'll take either number, I just don't want to have to make the selection each time.

Perhaps an NFC action that changes the setting within the GV app that sends all calls through the cell number. There has to be some way to make this simpler.

Boy do I have an app for you. It takes a little to set up but it was relatively simple. I created a custom label for all of my business contacts and added their number to the voice calling list. I have been using this app for awhile now and it is the best solution I have found to use your GV number for work and regular number for personal. Let me know what you think. This app allows once you try and call a certain number from your hands free device, it will use whatever number you want to dial.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...DEsImNvbS52b2ljZXBsdXNmcmVlIl0&token=aszGGtEI.

Reactions: Darth Mo

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
That looks like it will do what you want. I was going to sudgest that you set your regular cell number as your default, and use the Google Voice app to dial any business calls you need to make.

k000

May 12, 2012
Visit site
That looks like it will do what you want. I was going to sudgest that you set your regular cell number as your default, and use the Google Voice app to dial any business calls you need to make.

Given this is Android and GV is Google's too ;) I will like the label option within GV itself, so I can just configure GV to always use my GV number fir "business" and rest with cell, or better only "select" group withcel land rest all with GV number..

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Boy do I have an app for you. It takes a little to set up but it was relatively simple. I created a custom label for all of my business contacts and added their number to the voice calling list. I have been using this app for awhile now and it is the best solution I have found to use your GV number for work and regular number for personal. Let me know what you think. This app allows once you try and call a certain number from your hands free device, it will use whatever number you want to dial.

Haven't set it up, but that looks like exactly what I need! Not sure why the functionality isn't built in, but I'll take it. Thanks a lot.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

bpdamas

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Haven't set it up, but that looks like exactly what I need! Not sure why the functionality isn't built in, but I'll take it. Thanks a lot.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

I completely agree. I wish the google voice app itself had the same functionality. Nonetheless, glad I could help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781