Bluetooth ANT+ Heart Rate Monitors

monkeypimp

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know if the Wahoo Bluetooth heart rate monitors work with the Evo? Is the Evo an ANT+ bluetooth device?

I can't seem to figure this out after much google searching and thought I would ask here.

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Upon further searching now I am trying to figure out if the EVO is Bluetooth Smart ready.... so confusing.

Bluetooth Smart Ready is part of Bluetooth 4.0, so the LTE is compatible. It is a bit confusing because Bluetooth 4.0 covers several technologies but individual devices don't usually list out those individual capabilities.

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
So i guess the only way to really know the individual capabilities is for me to contact HTC correct?

HTC would probably just tell you that it's Bluetooth 4.0 compliant.

Terms like "Bluetooth Smart" are marketing terms that frequently change, but still refer to a particular technology: Bluetooth Low Energy. But whichever term you use, it's just a subset of Bluetooth 4.0.

That said, you can still run into software issues between Android and a given device. I would contact the manufacturer of the device if you want to be sure. HTC isn't going to to have a list of what BT devices are or aren't compatible.

monkeypimp

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
So I contacted both HTC and Wahoo about using Bluetooth or Ant+ HR monitors. You can't use either tyep of device as HTC doesn't support ANT+ or Bluetooth Smart and Wahoo Doesn't support android because they won't open up the API to them. Here are the responses:

Wahoo said:
"I'm sorry we do not offer Android support as of yet. Android has not yet opened up their API to allow for access to the Bluetooth 4.0 sensor in the phone. Once they do we will begin working on it and allowing our app partners to do the same.

Thanks!
Sean
Wahoo Fitness"

and HTC said:
"We certainly understand wanting to make sure the HTC Evo 4G LTE will suit your needs and can provide some information to answer your concerns.

Unfortunately, the Evo 4G LTE does not include the Ant+ Bluetooth function and does not include the Smart functions based on the device specifications. While it may be possible that this may be added in a future update, there is no guarantee that this will occur.

For the time being, we would recommend that you keep watch on our website at HTC - Mobile Phones, Smartphones, Cell Phones, Tablets or our Facebook page at HTC | Facebook for information as it becomes available.

Feel free to reply should you have any further questions. If you feel more comfortable discussing issues by phone, you can contact Technical Support at 1-866-449-8358, 6 am to 1 am EST, 7 days a week.

Let me know if I have successfully answered your question, please click here to complete this.

To send a reply to this message, please click here.

Sincerely,

Dayton

HTC
"

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Wahoo said:
"I'm sorry we do not offer Android support as of yet. Android has not yet opened up their API to allow for access to the Bluetooth 4.0 sensor in the phone. Once they do we will begin working on it and allowing our app partners to do the same.

Unfortunately, the Evo 4G LTE does not include the Ant+ Bluetooth function and does not include the Smart functions based on the device specifications. While it may be possible that this may be added in a future update, there is no guarantee that this will occur

Well the first part is peculiar because the website says it supports the Galaxy SIII, so someone's information is off.

Then the second part, does that mean the hardware is capable and HTC just hasn't gotten around to implementing it in software? Weird...

monkeypimp

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Well the first part is peculiar because the website says it supports the Galaxy SIII, so someone's information is off.

Then the second part, does that mean the hardware is capable and HTC just hasn't gotten around to implementing it in software? Weird...

Yeah I find it funny that for Bluetooth, something that is supposed to be a standard, that both the manufacturers of the devices as well as the manufacturers of the receivers don't follow any type of standards. Things like this make me crazy because you can't just buy something you have to research it and then your still not sure and the company can't even really give you a straight honest answer.

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I find it funny that for Bluetooth, something that is supposed to be a standard, that both the manufacturers of the devices as well as the manufacturers of the receivers don't follow any type of standards. Things like this make me crazy because you can't just buy something you have to research it and then your still not sure and the company can't even really give you a straight honest answer.

It's a software thing. Two given devices can communicate with each other so technically Bluetooth is working, it's just that the two devices don't understand each other.

But yeah, Bluetooth is touted like it's a plug-and-play technology when clearly it's not. It's similar to USB on a Windows machine: Windows can see that there is something connected, but without drivers, it's useless.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar