Issue with rooted LTE but can't Flash

Asymetrical

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys,
I'm new to this forum so sorry if someone covered this elsewhere. I did a search and nothing relavant came up.
So here's the deal... I got my Evo LTE, I rooted it, or so I thought. Rom Manager works on it, Titanium Pro works on it but it says this in my Recovery:
photo1.jpg

I also can not install a custom rom. It goes into recovery but just sits there.
I did a search on the web and it basically tells me that it just means that the phone itself is saying it's been tampered with so don't pay attention to it.
then we got the Sprint update the other day sooooo, I figured I'd unroot it and install the update. I again checked the web which told me all I had to do was use Super SU to unroot it, which I did and then Titanium Pro and Rom Manager no longer worked. So I'm thinking great, I'm unrooted.
I tried the update however and all it does is again go to the recovery screen I attached.
I'm kinda lost now and would greatly appreciate any help you guys could give me.
I rooted my OG Evo no problem and Flashed dozens of roms on it so while I'm no developer, I'm also not a total noob... just a half noob.:-!

kbp08tls

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
***TAMPERED*** means rooted (or at least your /system directory has been modified, which requires root). The fact that you have SuperSU installed, but used the app to unroot, would still cause the tampered watermark to show.
***LOCKED*** means you haven't unlocked your bootloader. Which also means you haven't installed a custom recovery - am I correct? I would assume you used the zedomax root method.

You cannot install a custom ROM because your bootloader is locked and S-ON, which tells me you don't have TWRP (the only custom recovery that works right now EDIT: the only one supported by the devs and doesn't corrupt your phone). You have hboot 1.12, which confirms that you do not have the OTA.

So you have these options (ordered best to worst, IMO):
1. Go S-OFF by following post 475 in the Lazy Panda S-OFF thread, then flash TWRP according to the s-off instructions here. Then flash the updated firmware from here and whatever ROM you want that's based on the 1.22 update.

2. Use Regaw's one click rooter to unlock the bootloader, install TWRP, and root. The fact that you're already rooted is OK. This performs a complete factory reset, so use SuperSU to re-root and then TiBu to backup everything before you do it, and reset Google Wallet before doing so. Once you're done you can flash updated firmware from the link above and flash your ROM of choice.

3. Completely unroot following the procedure in this thread, accept the OTA, and then re-root starting with step 3 here.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: Asymetrical

kronosqq

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
Slight correction, I've been running CWM since I used lazy panda for S-OFF, it works fine for me. I believe it's just whatever version it is that ROM Manager installs for you by default, I don't remember hunting around for alternate versions.

kbp08tls

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
Slight correction, I've been running CWM since I used lazy panda for S-OFF, it works fine for me. I believe it's just whatever version it is that ROM Manager installs for you by default, I don't remember hunting around for alternate versions.

I'd caution against using CWM on this phone: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1675430
It corrupts the /misc partition and is not supported. Besides that, TWRP is much better anyway. I edited my post above for clarity.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

Asymetrical

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the help! I am a bit confused though... As I mentioned I did what I think is unroot my device via SuperSU (which basically has a function in it's menu to do just that ) so do I have to reroot it first and THEN do all of the stuff you've laid out or just start with what you've posted.:-\

Asymetrical

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
One other thing and this I am quite sure is a n00b question. Your third option mentions installing some HTC drivers but when i download them there's no installer or exe to do so. How do I install the drivers with out an installer?:confused:

rakhan

May 25, 2012
Visit site
One other thing and this I am quite sure is a n00b question. Your third option mentions installing some HTC drivers but when i download them there's no installer or exe to do so. How do I install the drivers with out an installer?:confused:

I didnt really look at the links, but if you are having trouble installing the drivers you can A) install that file through the device manager by manually selecting it B) if you don't know how to do that you can just download HTC sync and install the software which will give you the latest drivers. Once it installs you can actually uninstall it and your phone drivers will still be there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34