Background process limit? Help please

Kizzmocat

Jun 1, 2012
Visit site
There is a tab in the developers options setting that says background process limit, it is set at standard, does anyone know what would happen if I set to none?
Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
There is a tab in the developers options setting that says background process limit, it is set at standard, does anyone know what would happen if I set to none?

Yes. It will reduce your "multitasking" and pseudo-multitasking from weak to none at all. It is a an option used by developers for testing purposes and has absolutely no value for the real-world.

Reactions: Kizzmocat

Kizzmocat

Jun 1, 2012
Visit site
I read on a S111 forum that some people are setting there's to 3 and 4 processes in background, they said it makes things run better, I know they're stupid questions I'm asking, but I love techy stuff, just don't know what I'm doing, it just fascinates me, I lived before computers and the way things have changed in 25-30 years Is so fricken cool, so needless to say, I'm afraid to try these things myself due to one wrong button press could crush my world! :(

Sent from my LTEVO using Android Central Forums

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
I read on a S111 forum that some people are setting there's to 3 and 4 processes in background, they said it makes things run better, I know they're stupid questions I'm asking, but I love techy stuff, just don't know what I'm doing, it just fascinates me, I lived before computers and the way things have changed in 25-30 years Is so fricken cool, so needless to say, I'm afraid to try these things myself due to one wrong button press could crush my world! :(

As my mother would say- "The only stupid questions are the unasked ones". Setting the limit to zero is utterly useless. One could set the limit to something less than zero, in the hopes that it would keep remaining, more important apps in memory longer.... but it really doesn't work out that way either. Even apps left in memory can and often are "suspended" by the [Sense 4.0 Android] OS, meaning they are no longer running and will not multitask (operate in the background). It might help prevent some "reloading" when reactivating a suspended app that still remains in memory, but I think it is too chaotic, overall, to offer any real benefit.

Many people are desperately seeking any type of help with the crazy and inconsistent task management of Sense 4.0. A few things do help (rooting and changing some memory handling variables, for example), but I doubt "background process limit" is one of them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol